US Migration Patterns Should Terrify the GOP

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Millennial movers have hastened the growth of left-leaning metros in southern red states such as Texas, Arizona, and Georgia.

The Atlantic said:
Liberals in America have a density problem. Across the country, Democrats dominate in cities, racking up excessive margins in urban cores while narrowly losing in suburban districts and sparser states. Because of their uneven distribution of votes, the party consistently loses federal elections despite winning the popular vote.

The most famous case was in 2016, when Hillary Clinton lost the presidential election despite her 2.4-million-vote margin. Clinton carried Manhattan and Brooklyn by approximately 1 million ballots—more than Donald Trump’s margins of victory in the states of Florida, Arizona, Georgia, North Carolina, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania combined.

But 2016 wasn’t a fluke. Neither was 2000, when Al Gore lost the election despite winning 500,000 more votes than George W. Bush. A recent paper from researchers at the University of Texas at Austin concluded that Republicans are expected to win 65 percent of presidential contests in which they narrowly lose the popular vote.

Two weeks ago, I published an article on what I called the urban exodus. More specifically, it is a blue urban exodus, as left-leaning metros in blue states are losing population. The New York City metro area is shrinking by 277 people every day. Other areas bleeding thousands of net movers each year include Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Jose, San Diego, Chicago, Boston, and Baltimore—all in states that routinely vote for Democrats by wide margins.

These movers are U-Hauling to ruddier states in the South and West. The five fastest-growing metros of the past few years—Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta, and Orlando, Florida—are in states won by Trump. The other metro areas with a population of at least 1 million that grew by at least 1.5 percent last year were Las Vegas; Austin, Texas; Orlando, Florida; Raleigh, North Carolina; Jacksonville, Florida; Charlotte, North Carolina; San Antonio; Tampa, Florida; and Nashville, Tennessee. All of those metros are in red or purple states.

What’s remarkable about these changes isn’t just their size, but their resemblance to Trump’s 2016 margins. Trump won Texas in 2016 by 800,000 votes. He won Arizona by 90,000 votes. He won Georgia by 170,000 votes. If these states’ biggest metros continue to move left at the same rate, there is every reason to believe that Texas, Arizona, and Georgia could be toss-ups quite soon.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, the GOP will gerrymander their way around this for as long as possible.
*waves from NC, where we are still fucking up our new maps because of the inherent flaws in the incumbency system*

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Last edited:

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
While the tone of that article is cheering to my black and withered heart, how will the color of the urban centers change due to this blue exodus? Is the blue surplus in the cities large enuf not to be tipped by Dems moving out?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
While the tone of that article is cheering to my black and withered heart, how will the color of the urban centers change due to this blue exodus? Is the blue surplus in the cities large enuf not to be tipped by Dems moving out?

You'd have to fully depopulate Los Angeles except for Beverly Hills and the Scientology building to stop it from voting blue.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Don't worry, the GOP will gerrymander their way around this for as long as possible.
*waves from NC, where we are still fucking up our new maps because of the inherent flaws in the incumbency system*

I think the GOP are already terrified, and this kind of nonsense is the result. They have no intention of allowing fair elections, because they know they'll lose.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

I think there is a sociological function that happens when one moves to a place of greater diversity (both human diversity, and diversity of perspective). Being exposed to more and different people makes some who have been raised in a more insular environment widen their world view, and perhaps liberalizes their political viewpoints. Shoot, look at Salt Lake City.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I think they do terrify the GOP, which explains why they've worked so hard to suppress voters and to stack the courts with justices far less likely to uphold voter protections.

It also explains why they are fighting some of the "blue" states so hard, trying to weaken their internal rules about everything from sanctuary cities to environmental protection.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like this "demography inevitably wins" when the GOP have been and continue to be steps ahead of the demographic inevitability. I think this is one of the big mistakes the Democratic Party have been making, thinking they can win with increments and not by cracking the opposing party's coalitions.