New from Michigan

Wendi Sneden

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am really excited to have found the site. I am currently working on my first novel-length story. I published a short story collection this summer, and the experience was motivating. My genre is speculative fiction. I'm looking forward to being a part of this terrific place.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Wendi! Welcome! :hi: I'm Kat.

Are your short stories linked at all, or is it a collection of disparate tales?

You're right, this is a terrific place. Here's the Sci-Fi/Fantasy subforum to get you started. Enjoy your time here on the boards! :)

Wendi Sneden

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Kat,
The stories are only linked by the theme of freedom/being set free.

Thank you for the link.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Wendi. My first writing efforts were in sci-fi/fantasy, and for grad school, I wrote an anthology of "tall tales" linked like The Canterbury Tales and The Illustrated Man. It was a l-o-n-g project, and like you, I went to novels afterward. :greenie

:welcome: to AW where speculative fiction is a BIG thing. :PartySmil:foilhat:

Wendi Sneden

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Chase: I do still enjoy writing short stories (working on one currently). The novel, though, is working out so much better than my first attempt at writing one--that ended up as a novelette in the collection. I have also finished the text for a children's picture book and am thinking about illustration options. :Sun:

wlsneden.simplesite.com

Last edited:

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Nice to have you here, Wendi. Funny, I had never heard of speculative fiction before...I have to look that up. Congratulations on your short story publication. I got my first publication this summer as well :)

Wendi Sneden

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Dan--
Do you write mysteries?
Another fun term for some of my work is fabulist fiction.

Congrats on your publication!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hello, Dan--
Do you write mysteries?
Another fun term for some of my work is fabulist fiction.

Congrats on your publication!

Heh...I have to look that up too. Thank you for the congrats, and I guess thriller would best describe my one published work, while my one complete unpublished one would be more of a mystery/thriller. I really do enjoy writing and would do a lot more of it if I had the time and a less rambunctions 15-month-old. I hope you have a lot of success, and please keep us posted on new developments.

KDIvanov

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Wendi!

That is awesome. I feel like I do better at longer works, but I'm forcing myself to write short stories to challenge myself. I hear short story mastery translates into better scenework for novels.

Welcome to the Water Cooler :)