I'm jumping a big hurdle and getting a comfort dog

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
So, yesterday my mental heath doctor, agreed that a comfort dog was the right move. :Thumbs: Now all I have to do is get the dog and report back to him, so I can get the note to give to the collage.

I want to get the dog as soon as possible, but my family is going to Disney world after Thanksgiving, though, and to quote my mother, "The Good Lord knows we don't need a puppy running around when we're not home", so I'll have to wait until after the trip to actually get the dog even if I'm getting an adult dog. :( But I'll start looking around when it gets closer to the trip. Maybe then I'll find a dog that I love and will be able to reserve it while I'm on the trip.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So, yesterday my mental heath doctor, agreed that a comfort dog was the right move. :Thumbs: Now all I have to do is get the dog and report back to him, so I can get the note to give to the collage.

Congratulations!

I want to get the dog as soon as possible, but my family is going to Disney world after Thanksgiving, though, and to quote my mother, "The Good Lord knows we don't need a puppy running around when we're not home", so I'll have to wait until after the trip to actually get the dog even if I'm getting an adult dog. :(.

So...your mother was making a joke, yes? I mean, she's right, but that's...not a thing you do with a puppy (or with an adult dog for more than a short period of time, and even then it depends very much on the dog). Dogs != cats in this respect. Dogs travel with you, or they get boarded.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Congratulations!

So...your mother was making a joke, yes? I mean, she's right, but that's...not a thing you do with a puppy (or with an adult dog for more than a short period of time, and even then it depends very much on the dog). Dogs != cats in this respect. Dogs travel with you, or they get boarded.

Thank you and yeah, we'll get the dog after the trip, so nothing happens.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you and yeah, we'll get the dog after the trip, so nothing happens.

And you and the puppy need to sign up for obedience/canine training school together when it's a bit older. That's really, really important.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
A puppy as a comfort dog? I guess I don’t get how this works, but having raised a number of puppies before, they can be really high maintenance and stressful. As I recall, you’ve never had a dog before, so I’d highly recommend talking to a trainer before you start looking around at dogs. They might be able to help guide you in the process.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
A puppy as a comfort dog? I guess I don’t get how this works, but having raised a number of puppies before, they can be really high maintenance and stressful. As I recall, you’ve never had a dog before, so I’d highly recommend talking to a trainer before you start looking around at dogs. They might be able to help guide you in the process.

+1

I was under the impression that the "comfort animal" designation, at least insofar as places like college dorms went, required some level of training going into it. It's a different level than just basic obedience: this dog needs to be rock-solid, "bombproof," able to handle some very stressful situations. If you've never owned a dog before, and have never trained a dog before, and are admittedly unfamiliar with dogs in general by not being a dog person, and you're getting a puppy... Definitely talk to a good trainer or two before jumping in, here.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Another voice against getting 'a puppy'. There's no way of telling if a puppy is going to be a 'comfort' until it's grown. What if it turns out to be moody and needing a lot of cuddling itself? Or, a dog that just can't be left alone for long enough to go to class?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Okay, you guys have convinced me. I just talked to my mom and said that we shouldn't get a puppy and that the dog should be older (not elderly, but maybe a young adult).

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I don't think anyone's advocating for you to get an old dog. But a young adult dog, one where you can see the personality behind the puppy-cuteness, and assess it's level of trainability, etc. is probably more in line with your needs.
If this is a comfort-animal, you have to see that you get on well together, which is hard to assess in puppies, as a healthy puppy loves everybody, and is interested in everything.
I am, as I've said, a cat person, so I'll try to keep this general.
Don't pick the boldest dog, or the shyest. You don't want a dog you can't control and you don't want some pitiful creature that is more scared of the world than you are. (I will not tell you how I know these particular things about dogs, but trust me on this.)
Find a good, reliable real-life advisor, preferably one who does dog training, or who is knowledgeable about support animals.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Yes, I don't think anyone's advocating for you to get an old dog. But a young adult dog, one where you can see the personality behind the puppy-cuteness, and assess it's level of trainability, etc. is probably more in line with your needs.
If this is a comfort-animal, you have to see that you get on well together, which is hard to assess in puppies, as a healthy puppy loves everybody, and is interested in everything.
I am, as I've said, a cat person, so I'll try to keep this general.
Don't pick the boldest dog, or the shyest. You don't want a dog you can't control and you don't want some pitiful creature that is more scared of the world than you are. (I will not tell you how I know these particular things about dogs, but trust me on this.)
Find a good, reliable real-life advisor, preferably one who does dog training, or who is knowledgeable about support animals.

Very good advice here. I linked to the association of professional dog trainers up thread, and I really do suggest consulting with a trainer if you want this to be a comfort animal who accompanies you into public places dogs are not generally allowed.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Okay guys. In December I'll start looking at the shelters. I've also come to the fact that it might not be a small poodle-mix like I was hoping, but the important thing is that I find a good, small, comforting dog.

I've been stalking the websites of nearby shelters and have seen some dogs that look suitable, but I won't be able to tell until I meet them.

I'm getting excited!!! :snoopy:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
My mom talked to the vet and the vet recommend the Good Citizenship dog training service.

Does anyone know much about it? I know it's the highest type of training a dog that isn't a service dog can get (I think. Don't quote me on that)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Chihuahuas, in my experience, are great companions. Congrats.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck. I hope Sofi & you are everything you need for each other.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Thank you everyone. I'm sure the people in the Cantina over in SF/F are tired of me gushing over her, but I can't help it. I was never a dog person, but now I sleep with a dog, walk a dog, get excited over a dog.

She's been very good and I'm glad I had all of you convince me not to get a puppy. I'll keep everyone posted when the Good Citizen training starts.