Old-fashioned typewriters, and their ribbons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
My first book was written on one of these, and my mother was an expert -- I remember her clacking away all day! But she has passed away and I can't ask her, and all her machines have been thrown out.

A typewriter ribbon is going to play a key part in my WW2 novel. I want the character to be an assistant to a Nazi Gauleiter; I want her to change the spool so that the ribbon has only been used once, the letters are still clearly imprinted, and can be deciphered, but backwards.

So my question is this: I know that the ribbon, when it comes to an end, automatically reverses, and I assume this was also the case in 1940. Let's say it's a brand new ribbon, so the reverse letters are clear and not yet typed over. But when it reverses, would the second round of typing be imprinted on top of the first, or would it be above or below that, allowing two clear strips of writing? Would the assistant, in other words, need to remove the spool once it has reached the end once, and before it reverses, or can she wait until it has gone through a second round? I simply can't remember how they work.

I hope I've described the problem clearly enough, and there's somebody here old enough and/or experienced enough to help! I did try googling but of course this particular issue isn't answered, though there's a lot of info on spools and ribbons.

7052686-old-fashioned-vintage-typewriter-isolated-on-white-background-with-a-blank-sheet-of-paper-inserted.jpg

Last edited:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I’m not sure any ribbon reversal would have happened on a typewriter like that - the user might have had to remove the ribbon and flip it over manually. That said, there were enough different manufacturers of these things with enough different designs — it was a very competitive area — that you can probably imagine it working any way you need it to for your story, and it’s likely that such a model existed!

:e2coffee:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Flipping it manually is my preferred method so I'll just go with that. The sites I read said that it flips automatically, but those are probably newer versions, post-WW2.
Thanks!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I remember rewinding ribbons & then putting them back in. (I don't remember ribbons that went in reverse, though. & I don't remember just flipping them over like a pancake, but I think that was done, too. Maybe that's what you mean by 'reverse'?)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
If I remember correctly, my mum's ribbons used to go back and forth automatically, and when the print became too faint you replaced the ribbon. I don't remember changing it every time it came to an end, it would just flip over, I think. But I'm old and memory fails me!

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
The only potential problem I see is exactly how easy it will be to read the imprint. Those old ribbons were made of cloth and soaked in liquid ink, which flows back in to the letter after it is typed. The cloth itself may or may not retain a readable imprint.

The point being that some recognition of the issue may lend credibility to the story.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Aruna there are lots of typewriter communities; I'd pick a time appropriate typewriter that you can actually find the manual online for.

On my dad's 1950s typewriter removed the ribbon and spools at the end, and re-wound it, since while you could supposedly just switch the spools, the ribbon wouldn't be perfectly even.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Aruna there are lots of typewriter communities; I'd pick a time appropriate typewriter that you can actually find the manual online for.

On my dad's 1950s typewriter removed the ribbon and spools at the end, and re-wound it, since while you could supposedly just switch the spools, the ribbon wouldn't be perfectly even.

Good idea! I got totally distracted by this very interesting article, and I think I've found some specific answers (the scene is in France, thus the Paris reference):

https://parisianfields.com/2012/06/24/finding-typewriter-history-in-paris/

And this, a wealth of info here: https://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/

Last edited:

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
I know you want to do the typewriter spool thing, but do you think it might be more straightforward with a carbon? Either using a fresh carbon itself, which can be secreted into the lining of clothes or something, or secreting an actual extra copy? (ie, making three extra copies of a letter instead of two.) In an office situation, many important letters would retain a file copy for the records.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My 1940's era Remington didn't reverse and neither did my my 1950's era Royal.

Jeff

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know but I can smell that thing from here

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
We had an Underwood for some time and it blocked the typing mechanism when it got to the end of the ribbon. I don't remember what the model number was. It was old is all I remember.

The Underwood had a lever for the red ink. The ribbon itself was a split between red and black. We bought black-only ribbons so we had to rewind them manually and use the 'red' strip on the second pass. It was less messy than manipulate the ribbon to flip it around although my mother was much better at this than I. The red ink was a must when doing anything accounting (i.e. "it's in the red"), but for everyday writing we used the all-black ones.

-cb

Last edited:

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
I’m not sure any ribbon reversal would have happened on a typewriter like that - the user might have had to remove the ribbon and flip it over manually.

I was going to say this; I remember having to take it out and put it back in. But this was a veeery long time ago and it may have been because the typewriter was defective, and I would not remember that sort of detail.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
As to reading a single-use ribbon: it's not like brail or embossing--at least not on any ribbon I've used. You'd have to hold it to the light at a certain angle and look for the reflection.

Status
Not open for further replies.