Quote Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
I think you're expecting way too much of your betas, by the way. Nobody gets 100% of the issues ever, even the pros. And there are plenty of issues folks notice that they don't feel are important enough to mention, even if they drive you crazy once you see them.

Also, published authors aren't automatically better at crit than anyone else. Critting well is a talent, and not everybody has it.
^^ This. +100

If I was forced to pick a favourite writer, it's probably Stephen King.

But there are elements in his work - plot holes, contradictions, things I simply can't suspend disbelief for. He's fantastically successful, extremely experienced, and yet there are plenty of issues in his work. I figure if he and his editors and proof readers aren't picking up all the issues there's little hope that the rest of us will. Get as much as you can and learn to let go.

Disclaimer: I'm working on my first novel now, but I do a lot of music for commercial use. There's a saying among composers that a work isn't finished, it's abandoned. And six months after you've left behind a piece you were very proud of at the time, you listen and realise all the things you'd now do differently. Because you're growing, changing. Creative production is a progression, hopefully upwards, in terms of ability. Come back to something you worked on a year ago. You can be satisfied about what it is, but if you can't see things you'd now change, you probably aren't growing. Hopefully the same with editors and proof readers, IMHO - they may critique something very differently now than how they would have five years ago.

I'm new to this site but I've been reading voraciously, and one thing I've realised quickly is that my tolerance for various things when reading is very different to other readers. Something I might like, to another reader it appears to be a mortal sin. The whole process is so subjective that all you can do is take the comments of others and weigh them carefully. You'll never be finished, but the goal, I think, is to be satisfied - ready to let go. The work is now fit for purpose.