*rump: “I look orange, and so do you, due to energy-efficient lights”

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had to check to make sure this wasn’t The Onion.

"The light is the worst," Trump said. His administration earlier this month announced it would roll back regulations for increased energy efficiency.

NBC News said:
On a night that featured the Democratic debate, President Donald Trump said he's being cast in a harsh light.

Trump's complaint wasn't about the candidates vying for the nomination and the chance to make the 45th president a one-termer, but was rather was directed at light bulbs.

"People said what's with the light bulb? I said here’s the story, and I looked at it: The bulb that we're being forced to use — No. 1, to me, most importantly, the light's no good. I always look orange," Trump said during a speech at a House Republican retreat dinner.

The audience at the 2019 House Republican Conference Member Retreat Dinner laughed at the comment.

It's not the first time the president has been described as orange. The hue of his hair and skin are often a source of jokes among his critics.

He said he's not the only one that the bulbs affect: He told the crowd that they, too, take on an orange tone under the lights.

The Trump administration last week said it would roll back requirements for energy-efficient light bulbs under two previous administrations.

LED lights really make me look racist too.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Out with energy-efficient lighting. In with periodic power outages at peak hours. Like in 1999. Yay.

-cb

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fortunately coal is there to save us.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw an Onion article today titled something, “Joe Biden really annoyed that debate moderators gave him ample time to respond to all questions.” So I guess they’ll still find targets? :tongue

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
The Trump administration last week said it would roll back requirements for energy-efficient light bulbs under two previous administrations.

Anything Obama ushered in, the orange menace is determined to wreck.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

It's wrong of me to wish he'd passed a regulation against jumping off of cliffs... Seriously, how is it supposed to be possible to work with people whose sole focus and end goal is breaking stuff because someone they didn't like fixed them?

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

The ironic thing is that GWB was the one who signed the act that *rump is now rolling back. But I'll bet dollars to donuts that Orange Julius thinks of it as "an Obama thing". Lord knows his supporters do.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get it. Incandescent bulbs tend to lack frequencies at the blue end of the spectrum and make things look more orange. LED lightbulbs make things look less orange.

Hasn't he heard of smart LED bulbs that can be any colour you want them to be?

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The universe of things that he hasn't heard of, or has but forgot about, or has but doesn't understand, is vast my friend.

Also, let's all be clear on one thing: *rump is a bullshitter. That's no garden-variety bog-standard liar. Liars know the difference between truth and lies. Bullshitters literally do not care about the difference. Bullshitters say whatever they think is likeliest to get them what they want at that moment, for that audience. Bullshitters say A on camera and then the next day deny they ever said A. Bullshitters say they went down to ground zero on 9/11 and helped firefighters there, despite all evidence to the contrary. Bullshitters have no shame. So, bullshitters will say that energy-efficient lighting makes everyone appear orange, and they don't care that it's false, laughably false, easily provably false. Bullshitters shout "Fake News!" to you.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Except the lights don't make everyone else look orange--just him.

Still, *rump gets extra points for finding an excuse for his orangeness on top of the usual promise to accelerate climate change.

I've wondered about his coloring for a long time. Maybe it's something to do with his diet? Too many carrots and sweet potatoes can give people's skin an orange hue. I've never understood why his make up people would choose to apply cosmetics the way they do.

Maybe they do it on purpose because orange light is more conducive to sleep, so his PR folks want people to feel warm and sleepy after they see him on their computers or on TV ... and then go to bed to have nightmares?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
See: definition of bullshitter.

I dunno, I think of a bullshitter as someone who knows they are lying and is sort of playing a game to see how far they can get. There's a sort of playfulness about it (though the consequences can be quite sinister, especially if it's used to steal or coerce sex). I've known a few of those.

I think you're right though, that whatever you call it, he doesn't care whether the crap he spews is real or not, and once he says something, it becomes Truth to him.

It's just odd that no one in his makeup crew has been able to convince him they could make him look "fabulous" without the orange spray-on goo via flattery and manipulation of their own. Maybe they are secretly laughing at him behind his back? He doesn't strike me as someone who would be fun to work for.

I read somewhere he has a business arrangement with the folks who manufacture the stuff. If so, they're probably regretting the alliance now; it's hardly good advertising for their products.

Last edited:

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Except the lights don't make everyone else look orange--just him.

Still, *rump gets extra points for finding an excuse for his orangeness on top of the usual promise to accelerate climate change.

I've wondered about his coloring for a long time. Maybe it's something to do with his diet? Too many carrots and sweet potatoes can give people's skin an orange hue. I've never understood why his make up people would choose to apply cosmetics the way they do.

Maybe they do it on purpose because orange light is more conducive to sleep, so his PR folks want people to feel warm and sleepy after they see him on their computers or on TV ... and then go to bed to have nightmares?

The only person I know who's turned orange from eating carrots had barely eaten anything else for weeks. His regular pale color returned after weeks of not eating any food high in beta-carotene.

Supposedly, for Donald Trump to maintain his complexion, he would have needed to eat about 3 full-sized carrots a day for 15 years. (Source) That sounds absurd. Trump is known for a fondness for junk food, not vegetables. Except... what's in that junk food?

Possibility #1:

Synthetic food dyes have been used in commercial fast food and cheap, factory-made groceries through most of Trump's life. Natural food coloring derived from beta-carotene is also common in some snacks. Could a junk food diet have changed his coloring?

If so, would he admit that to himself? Not likely. He wouldn't blame a diet that's so strongly associated with corporate greed.

I still would like to know if that's the reason. Long-term physical consequences of American fast food seems like a big discussion the public should have anyway, not only for what can happen to appearance, but health. Synthetic food dyes are also associated with neurological effects in atypical brains. Those effects include hypersensitivity, disorientation, and aggression.

Possibility #2:

Trump surrounds himself with the color gold and seems, from the old photos available in magazines, to have done so for decades. My suspicion is that he's insisted on using hair dye and makeup that gives him what he sees as a golden glow signifying wealth. To others, the yellow-orange looks strangely unhealthy.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, I think of a bullshitter as someone who knows they are lying and is sort of playing a game to see how far they can get. There's a sort of playfulness about it. I've known a few of those. I think you're right though, that whatever you call it, he doesn't care whether the crap he spews is real or not, and once he says something, it becomes Truth to him.

It's just odd that no one in his makeup crew has been able to convince him they could make him look "fabulous" without the orange spray-on goo.

I read somewhere he has a business arrangement with the folks who manufacture the stuff. If so, they're probably regretting the alliance now; it's hardly good advertising for their products.

See also his hair and the glowing white all around his eyes. He thinks this looks good.

See also also that time he made Sean Spicer do his makeup the same way.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, I think of a bullshitter as someone who knows they are lying and is sort of playing a game to see how far they can get.

I’m using the word as defined by Harry Frankfurt in an essay “On Bullshit”, as described here:

This is the crux of the distinction between [the bullshitter] and the liar. Both he and the liar represent themselves falsely as endeavoring to communicate the truth. . . .But the fact about himself that the liar hides is that he is attempting to lead us away from a correct apprehension of reality. . . . The fact about himself that the bullshitter hides, on the other hand, is that the truth-values of his statements are of no central interest to him . . . his intention is neither to report the truth nor to conceal it. . . . unconcerned with how the things about which he speaks truly are.

I’m not claiming there aren’t other, equally valid interpretations of the word, just making clear what I mean by it, and why.

And I do think the above definition of the word fits *rump extremely well.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
The rollbacks... jeesh. Politicians who could ignore the climate crisis still have had plenty of concerns about the energy crisis in the U.S. The only reason I can think of for the Trump Administration acting against energy efficiency is to create an excuse for the coal industry to reclaim its foothold in the energy industry. I wonder what the power companies around the nations are saying about this. Yay, we'll have to schedule more rolling brownouts for the homes of energy-sucking Trump supporters!?

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Logical people would adjust the tone of their spray tan. Then again logic and you-know-who are like the same poles on a pair of magnets.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Hasn't he heard of smart LED bulbs that can be any colour you want them to be?
This is a rhetorical question, right? :flag:

I've never understood why his make up people would choose to apply cosmetics the way they do.
He thinks he looks good. Healthy and "tan." You know how Biden looked like an undertaker had done his makeup last night? That is Trump's worst nightmare.

Yep. Yesterday it was rolling back the 2015 update to the Clean Water Act
On Thursday, officials from the EPA and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers repealed an Obama administration update to the 1972 Clean Water Act, which had expanded protection to wetlands and streams that are disconnected from navigable rivers. "They're effectively sending us back 30 years in our protections of U.S. waters," says Peter Gleick, co-founder of the Pacific Institute and a MacArthur "genius" Fellowship winner for his work as a climate and water scientist.
Drinking water for one in three people in the lower 48 comes from same waters that just lost their federal protection in the repeal

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
How does he explain the ugly suits and the fact that he can't tie a necktie?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score

This is the only logic if there is one.

That "lights make me look orange" is a sideshow. Giggles and all. But a sideshow nonetheless.

-cb