Em Dashes and Ellipses

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading the thread on em dashes, parentheses and commas and I was wondering if you had any thoughts on this subject.

I tend to break off a character’s thought or speech often in dialog. I was using ellipses and em dashes interchangeably and my editor asked me to choose one or the other.

In general, is there a rule on the use of em dashes vs. ellipses with an unfinished statement or thought, especially in dialog?

What about in the middle of a sentence? Can ellipses be used in the same way an em dash is used to separate clauses?

Thank you, AW grammarians.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Not a grammarian. Em dashes are strong breaks in sentences; they're used to indicate an interruption in dialogue and can be used for descriptive asides in text (interchangeable only with parentheses or sometimes commas). Ellipses in dialogue indicate a trailing off; elsewhere they're used to indicate missing text in quotations.

(I used em dashes quite a lot for parentheticals I think especially important.)

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Grammar Girl is generally my go-to and she states it thus: "In general, you can think of parentheses, commas, and dashes as a continuum of marks. Parentheses are the quiet whisper of an aside, commas are the conversational voice of a friend walking by your desk, and dashes are the yowl of a pirate dashing into a fray."

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
Perfect! This is what I needed to know.

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
em dashes I see as interruptions in the dialog or stream of thought. Ellipses are a break with a continuation after or a break because the thought/comment is unfinished.

I use both, but I've also used ellipses within a long bit of character-spoken text when the speaker has to pause verbally for some reason. For example, I have two runners chatting on the trail. One is out of breath, so his speech is broken with ellipses. Also, when a character is sobbing yet trying to speak and so pauses.

I've seen this used by several (major) novelists now that I know to look for it.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
The em dash is also good for setting aside lists in your sentence, when commas might be confusing and parenthesis seem TOO MUCH of an aside.

"There were a ton of things in the bag -- apples, oranges, kiwis, a rabid weasel -- which looked like it was about to tear apart."

You could do the above with just commas or a colon and commas, but then it's not sure if the weasel or the bag is about to tear apart.

Dan Rhys

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
As a college English instructor for the past 14 years (not that I know everything), my understanding is that dashes are for emphasis, to make something really stand out--which can include interruptions--while ellipses (at least as I use them) allow for a little pause before continuing a stream of thought.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The ellipsis indicates a lacuna, an omission; ellipses show that something has been left out.

The idea is to not change the meaning of a quotation, for instance, by omitting text and inserting an ellipsis to mark that lacuna.

A number of style guides (and check with your publisher and editor) allow ellipses to be used to indicate a pause in dialog, or a speaker trailing off in mid-thought. Chicago makes a distinction between an ellipsis used for "faltering or fragmented speech" and a dash used for more substantial pauses (for instance).

Don't . . . be . . . . like . . . Barbara Cartland. You have a limited non-renewable lifetime allocation of ! and . . . ; don't use them rashly.