• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Astronomy: First known exoplanet with water rain and clouds?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two teams have detected signs that K2 18b has a damp atmosphere

Science News said:
Clouds of water droplets and even rain may exist in the soggy skies of a faraway exoplanet.

A combination of observations with space telescopes and simulations suggests that planet K2 18b has water vapor in its atmosphere, and might be the first planet orbiting a distant star found to support liquid water, thought to be an essential ingredient for life.

“Water vapor exists everywhere in the universe,” says astronomer Björn Benneke of the University of Montreal, who reported the potential discovery in a paper posted September 10 at arXiv.org. “But it’s not so easy to make liquid water; you need the right pressure and the right temperature. That’s what makes this planet special.”

The exoplanet-hunting Kepler space telescope discovered K2 18b in 2015. The planet orbits a dim red dwarf star about 110 light-years away, and is bigger and heavier than Earth: about 2.5 times Earth’s radius and about eight times its mass.

“From the beginning, that makes it not an Earthlike planet,” astronomer Angelos Tsiaras of University College London, whose team independently detected water vapor in K2 18b’s atmosphere in a study published September 11 in Nature Astronomy, said in a Sept. 10 news teleconference. But tantalizingly, the planet’s distance from its star places it in the habitable zone, the region around a star where a planet could have temperatures conducive to liquid water (SN: 6/14/17).

In 2016 and 2017, a group led by Benneke used the Hubble Space Telescope to probe K2 18b for signs of an atmosphere as the planet passed in front of its star. Molecules in the planet’s atmosphere absorbed certain wavelengths of the star’s light, alerting astronomers to their presence.

Tsiaras and colleagues accessed that data from a public archive and used specially designed software to analyze it. The team found that the planet has an atmosphere, and that the atmosphere imprints the telltale signature of water vapor molecules on the filtered starlight. The atmosphere also contains hydrogen and helium, the team reports.

“Until now, the planets for which we had the atmosphere observed and found water were gas giants, planets more similar to Jupiter, Saturn or Neptune,” Tsiaras says. K2 18b’s location in the habitable zone, size and watery atmosphere mean that “this is the best candidate for habitability that we now have.”

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Seems like these super-Earths we keep discovering are the norm.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It does seem that way, but I keep in mind that we may just be biased towards finding them now because they're easier to find with current technology?

For those of us writing SF with handwavium-powered starships, it does make for an interesting universe to write about. :D

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely worth considering. I don't have a clue what's going on with exoplanets. Every one of them seems like their own weird-ass unicorn. But it strikes me that our Solar System is by far one of the strangest.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Definitely worth considering. I don't have a clue what's going on with exoplanets. Every one of them seems like their own weird-ass unicorn. But it strikes me that our Solar System is by far one of the strangest.

This really needs to be the premise of a SF story: the reason aliens give us such a wide berth is that they're freaked out by our bizarre system.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This really needs to be the premise of a SF story: the reason aliens give us such a wide berth is that they're freaked out by our bizarre system.

LOL! "Q'plah, navigator! Correct your path, for ahead it is the Eight-Planet Abomination of the Third Quadrant!"

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
All good, but it seems to me the reason we know of no other intelligent species is because evolution invariably leads to:

higher and recorded communication > computers > sentience > death to organics! (and don't forget non-sustainable practices)

... OR ...

"Shit man, they're killing themselves on Earth. Go wide, man!"

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
All good, but it seems to me the reason we know of no other intelligent species is because evolution invariably leads to:

higher and recorded communication > computers > sentience > death to organics! (and don't forget non-sustainable practices)

... OR ...

"Shit man, they're killing themselves on Earth. Go wide, man!"

Two of my favorite solutions to the Fermi Paradox.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Two of my favorite solutions to the Fermi Paradox.

I actually read a short story in The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (a collection of non-canon SH tales with somewhat SF/F leanings) that proposed another clever solution.

SPOILERS: The setup was a man from the future taking Sherlock and Watson forward in time to solve the Fermi Paradox, with access to futuristic tech. Sherlock eventually determines that it's Earth that's isolated, because it created its own alternate reality when he was revived after dying at Reichenbach Falls; until the world rejoins the rest of the universe, it can't be reached. In the end, he and Watson go back to their own time, Sherlock dies as he should, and Watson weeps as he starts hearing radio reports of strange signals being detected from space. END SPOILERS

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It does seem that way, but I keep in mind that we may just be biased towards finding them now because they're easier to find with current technology?

^^ It's this. All the principal techniques used for exoplanet detection are biased toward larger, more massive planets. Whether you are looking for transits (dimming of the light from a star when a planet crosses between it and us) or radial velocity effects (wobble in the star's spectrum due to the planet's gravity pulling on it), or even attempting direct imaging, signals are biggest and easiest to detect for massive planets. People are working on improving techniques for detecting earth-like planets around sun-like stars, but a basic limitation is the signals from such planets, however you measure them, will be smaller.

:e2coffee: