• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Medicine: HPV vaccine as important for boys as girls

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New evidence shows why the HPV vaccine is as important for boys as girls

Stat News said:
Earlier this year, the biotech community mourned the loss of Michael Becker, a former pharmaceutical industry executive who turned his cancer into a teaching moment. In 2018, we watched on his blog as cancer drugs failed him, as he became hale and hearty as he stopped chemo, and then as the cancer returned. The tumors invaded his bones, so he needed a cane. In July, his cancer killed him.

Becker’s cancer was caused by the human papilloma virus, or HPV. On Tuesday, researchers published new data that show how preventable his case was if only he’d had a chance to have the vaccine, Gardasil. The data also underline one of the very lessons he tried to drive home: A vaccine that is still largely seen as one for girls and women needs to be offered to boys and maybe men, too.

HPV gives 34,800 Americans cancer every year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Of those, 20,700 are women and 14,100 are men. In men, the most common HPV-caused cancer is the one Becker had: cancer of the mouth and throat. Most frequently, it’s probably transmitted through oral sex (HPV is sexually transmitted), although it could be caught in other ways, perhaps even occasionally through kissing. There are an estimated 13,500 cases of HPV oropharynx cancer each year. Of these, 11,300 are in men.

Despite the fact that thousands of men get cancer because of HPV, the message doesn’t seem to sink in. That frustrates Dr. Maura Gillison, an MD Anderson oncologist who was among the first to notice an emerging epidemic of HPV throat cancers two decades ago.

“It’s still in the public perception that HPV is largely a problem for women,” Gillison told STAT. “I think people have to be aware that the burden of HPV positive oropharynx cancer in men in the United States now exceeds the burden of cervical cancer diagnosed each year.” Although survival rates are relatively high for these patients, treating these cancers is grueling for the patient and expensive for the health care system. The idea that tumors could be prevented with a few shots is bracing.

“I just know that I don’t have a single patient who wouldn’t swap two or three shots for what I do to them to try to save their life,” Gillison said.

But Gillison has been frustrated for years because Gardasil, the HPV vaccine used in the U.S., is not approved to prevent cancers of the mouth and throat. Merck, its maker, wouldn’t be likely to mention the potential benefit in advertisements. Though most experts have little doubt that the vaccine prevents HPV infections anywhere in the body and therefore the resulting cancers, technically, this has not been proven.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe as long as ten years ago our pediatrician was telling us the HPV vaccine was important for boys as well as girls and we had both our children vaccinated.

Right, I heard the same. But I think it was being pitched as primarily a way for boys not to infect girls with HPV? That it can cause throat cancers in men is something I hadn't read about before.

And while it's sad that it might take worrying about boys & men actually getting sick to vaccinate them, if it does get them vaccinated, that's a good thing.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Who wants to guess the reluctance to push for men/boys is because it's kinda like talking about them giving oral sex? I seem to remember when an actor (Michael Douglas?) talked about his throat cancer and how he'd likely "caught" it a lot of people were like, "titter, titter, titter ... can you believe he said that? titter, titter."
You know it's some Classic Patriarchy Bullshit when you'd rather die of a preventable disease than admit to talking about a thing that's largely connected to women's sexual pleasure.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know it's some Classic Patriarchy Bullshit when you'd rather die of a preventable disease than admit to talking about a thing that's largely connected to women's sexual pleasure.

I’ll never understand men who don’t want to maximize women’s sexual pleasure. Seems like win-win to me.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I read something about the throat cancer connection a couple years back. It's good the information is being disseminated.

And yeah, the folks who tell us we shouldn't vaccinate kids because we should just tell them to abstain until they're married are either living in some bizarre state of naivete, or they have a pretty sinister patriarchal agenda.

Or both.

I’ll never understand men who don’t want to maximize women’s sexual pleasure. Seems like win-win to me.

A lot of manly jokes center around how dirty and smelly a woman's genitalia are, and there's still a belief that if a man can simply "last" long enough, any woman who isn't "frigid" will have an orgasm (assuming she is into him). And women who need more direct stimulation often think there's something wrong with them for not being able to do it the "normal" way.

And there are definitely still people who think women's pleasure from sex is (and should be) mainly about "pleasing her man," including a surprising number of women.

Not to mention all those people who honestly think teens will never think of having sex at all if they don't get the idea put in their head by getting a vaccine or comprehensive sex education.

Last edited:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And there are definitely still people who think women's pleasure from sex is (and should be) mainly about "pleasing her man," including a surprising number of women.

Earth to those people: It's a helluva lot more fun when it's a helluva lotta fun for both parties.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Earth to those people: It's a helluva lot more fun when it's a helluva lotta fun for both parties.

But it's not supposed to be fun for women, because women are evil vessels of sin who must experience pain and subjugation for not having male genitalia, because Reasons. They wrote at least one whole book with that premise, and some of the fans are absolutely cultlike in their zealousness. (See also: why they believe STDs should be allowed to run rampant, because only promiscuous people have them and therefore they deserve pain and death, while goodly married people are immune because good.)

On the original topic, I've seen the PSAs for years where both boys and girls are shown to have cancer risks (those ads where they age backwards from their deathbed as a young adult to them as a child, asking Mom and Dad if they knew about the vaccine that could've saved their lives.) None of them mentioned where the cancer was, that I recall, or specifically how they acquired it, just that it was cancer caused by HPV.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But it's not supposed to be fun for women, because women are evil vessels of sin who must experience pain and subjugation for not having male genitalia, because Reasons. They wrote at least one whole book with that premise, and some of the fans are absolutely cultlike in their zealousness. (See also: why they believe STDs should be allowed to run rampant, because only promiscuous people have them and therefore they deserve pain and death, while goodly married people are immune because good.)

I'd just like to say that I wish I believed in a hell for those people.