Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
It's a wee bit before everything goes live, but I figured now's a good time to kick off the hype, since we're getting a whole new NaNo website as the official NaNo and Camp site merge!

Do be sure to save your buddy list and any wanted NaNomail, though, because it seems like they aren't going to carry over.

From the front page announcement:
- We are preserving your important information on the redesigned site! Your username, bio, other profile details, and writing project history will transfer over seamlessly.
- We won't be saving Camper Messages, buddy relationships on either site, or NaNoMail. If you have messages you would like to save, or buddies you don't want to lose track of, you can take screenshots, or copy and paste information now, or later from the archived sites!

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to say that I started a novel six years and ten months ago because someone asked me if I was going to do the NaNoWriMo challenge. I was slow to get ideas so I only got to 45K words and I never tried to register it with NaNo. Instead I kept going and a month later I had 134K words in a two book somewhat filled-in outline.

Six and a half years later (because I had to learn how to write a fiction novel) book one is done and off to the beta readers and [looks over at Scrivener] I am 14 chapters into book two of the duology. Mind you I am a very late bloomer. You're never to old to write that novel.

NaNo is an anniversary for me. Anyone thinking about it, go for it!

Last edited:

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in again! I'm sad that the buddy relationships from the old site won't be carried over, though.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I really hope there will still be some kind of buddy system. Seeing how everyone I'm friends with is doing is a huge encouragement for me to keep up during the rough weeks.

kayellbee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kelbywritesadventure.com
I just want to say that I started a novel six years and ten months ago because someone asked me if I was going to do the NaNoWriMo challenge. I was slow to get ideas so I only got to 45K words and I never tried to register it with NaNo. Instead I kept going and a month later I had 134K words in a two book somewhat filled-in outline.

Six and a half years later (because I had to learn how to write a fiction novel) book one is done and off to the beta readers and [looks over at Scrivener] I am 14 chapters into book two of the duology. Mind you I am a very late bloomer. You're never to old to write that novel.

NaNo is an anniversary for me. Anyone thinking about it, go for it!

Congratulations MaeZe! Yes, it's never too late to get your dream novel done and out!

We won't be saving Camper Messages, buddy relationships on either site, or NaNoMail. If you have messages you would like to save, or buddies you don't want to lose track of, you can take screenshots, or copy and paste information now, or later from the archived sites!

It's a really good thing I just joined the site yesterday. I don't have any of those things right now. I've been reading the prep material and lurking the forums. Good luck everyone!

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any drawback to just sort of participating in spirit, without registering on their website?

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Not necessarily. You can get most of what the site offers you one way or another, but the site in the past has been very user friendly. I say in the past because I don't really know what the new site design is going to be like, but I'm eager for it. You only have to do as much as you're comfortable with. If you just want to use the site to track your wordcount, you can. If you want to meet some people and use the forums but don't want to share details of your novel, you can. If you're new, it's a good way to figure out what the best motivation for you is, but there really is no obligation to use the site or drawback to not using it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any drawback to just sort of participating in spirit, without registering on their website?

Nope, I'm proof of that.

I did register, and I've gone to one local event a couple years ago. But everyone there began typing away at midnight Nov 1st. That's not my writing style but there were a lot of people there. It was fun to see so many writers in this area.

When I got to 45K words at the end of Nov, I didn't send it in. But I did keep on writing.

But it's a wonderful site with wonderful support for writers.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really hope there will still be some kind of buddy system. Seeing how everyone I'm friends with is doing is a huge encouragement for me to keep up during the rough weeks.

They will, but the list won't carry over from what I understand. In the new system, a person can't just add you to their list, however; they'll get a notification and will need to approve it before it happens.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, that's gonna make a lot of people very happy. There's been people annually who end up getting people following them they don't want for whatever reason and they couldn't remove them as a "buddy of".

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty. I'm a little bit confused about the home regions part now - are there no more home region forums or anything? Just the long text box going over the other bits? - and I don't like the messages telling me I have one, but not showing me any, but I'm old and hate change (*shakes fist etc*) so I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's obviously got a lot of kinks to work out, but it's nice to have everything in one place. The mystery message is annoying XD And I keep getting logged out when I try to switch from the main site to the forums, but you only log in on the main site so...*Shrug*?

The regional forums exist, they're just not in the main forum list or attached to the region page. On the forums, drop down the All Categories dropdown. Regions are at the bottom. I think they're trying to work with that one still, because I could go to my region last night, and now I have Czech Republic and Slovakia showing as my region.

BPhillipYork

Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BPhillipYork.com
I'm going to try to do this because it seems fun, and I've heard of it many times before and sort of scoffed at it, but I'm trying to be less pretentious about writing.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
The new forums take some getting used to. Maybe I just preferred the old ones? Lol!

BTW, do we have an AW group there, yet? I looked for "AW" and "Absolute Write" but didn't find us.

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
I mostly like the new site, but it's eaten my NaNo project twice now. I'm hoping that it eventually comes back...

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I mostly like the new site, but it's eaten my NaNo project twice now. I'm hoping that it eventually comes back...

That's a known problem. Some people, it happens because they tried to upload a cover (fixed by waiting a day to add the cover), and that causes the eating the project. Some lost it by immediately associating the project with NaNo (solved by again waiting a day to associate with a project). There's still something that's haranguing the team and a lot of people though. So try either of those if they apply to you.

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
That's a known problem. Some people, it happens because they tried to upload a cover (fixed by waiting a day to add the cover), and that causes the eating the project. Some lost it by immediately associating the project with NaNo (solved by again waiting a day to associate with a project). There's still something that's haranguing the team and a lot of people though. So try either of those if they apply to you.

Yeah, I've been watching the thread in the forums about the project eating problem. :) Mine got eaten whether it had a cover or not the first two times. Third time seems to be the charm, though - this time it stuck!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the new site so far, but I'm hoping they'll work out the bugs over time.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
It definitely seems a bit glitchy--all of my old projects are kind of jammed together so it's difficult to tell one from the next. I'm going to try to upload a cover later today so fingers crossed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.