Let's make a memoir writers group to support each other

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
I attended a memoir writing workshop at Sydney Writer's Festival and most of the attendees put their name on a list to make a little group to support each other with our writing. Someone made a google docs group for us to share and suggest writing exercises. I came up with a bunch of ideas for writing prompts exercises - general ones that I think could be useful to any sort of memoir (not: Write about your first pet!). Except no one has really participated.

I'm a procrastinator and the idea of having to do some writing or an exercise because and when the group is would be very helpful to me.

So anyone here want to join forces with me to encourage each other, give each other feedback, or whatever else you would find useful? Please?

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
This whole forum is a support group, and starting discussions about writing is what it's here for! So just start some threads on your specific ideas. If you start a thread on it, they will come. (unless they're busy or in other areas of the forum)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Apart from this place) there are more than a few writers groups, Australian writers groups, memoir writers groups, Australian memoir writers groups and Australian Women's Memoir Writers Groups on facebook. Try hunting those down. (Don't forget to read the rules before you start posting. Some of them are quite specific about wanting to avoid negging and time-wasting by not being publicly discussed.)

ETA: I don't belong to any of them, or I'd send you a link. (I don't write memoir, and I think I procrastinate just fiiiine on my own ;) ) But I've seen them pop up in my feed.

Last edited:

bleep

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Lone Wolf! Did you ever manage to get a group together? I like the idea of some day "growing up" (I think this must be post #3 for me?) and sharing some of my work here on SYW, but there's something that really appeals to me about forming a group. I tried getting one going with Meetup, and got a lot of initial responses, and but then the coronavirus hit, and it sorta fell apart, and when I suggested working remotely, I got crickets. I think a big problem was lack of focus; it was open to everything. Any luck with that?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, in my real-world experience starting writing groups, the more focused the better. Mine has two focal points, genre and goal (paid publication). While we're on hiatus during Corona, since one member does not have the internet at home and libraries remain closed where she is, we've met regularly for twenty-eight years. We're all published, too.

If a group is open to all kinds of writers and goals, that group can offer support and encouragement to write, which is a good thing. However, critique gets dicey if you apply the same standards to the person aspiring to sell her memoir as you do to the one who just wants to leave his life story to the grandchildren.

Maryn, who co-founded two writing groups

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Lone Wolf! Did you ever manage to get a group together? I like the idea of some day "growing up" (I think this must be post #3 for me?) and sharing some of my work here on SYW, but there's something that really appeals to me about forming a group. I tried getting one going with Meetup, and got a lot of initial responses, and but then the coronavirus hit, and it sorta fell apart, and when I suggested working remotely, I got crickets. I think a big problem was lack of focus; it was open to everything. Any luck with that?

Hey bleep--

One of the larger meet up groups I'm in has lost members over the years due to them moving out of state. When we switched to ZOOM those folks came back in ... and it's been so nice to see them again that the coordinator is planning to keep one meeting per month via ZOOM even after this thing ends.

I bet there are similar situations with other groups... If you're interested in checking this one out for a visit or two, shoot me a pm. They take all comers, mostly genre fiction sticks around.

I don't disagree with Maryn at all, especially as I have seen memoir writers come and go a fair bit through the groups, but if you don't have good options, this is at least an option.

Last edited:

bleep

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a good focus, Maryn, and its heartening to hear the group's been going strong for so long!

Whoolybear, I may give meetup another (more focused) go. I'll also keep your group in mind!

Last edited:

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
I subbed a memoir to Ploughshares this year under non-fiction. It will be interesting to see where it goes. And, as a young, old man, I have lots of stories - most of them are true.