Republicans in three states cancel presidential nominating contests for 2020

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/republicans-in-three-states-cancel-primaries-and-caucuses/

The Republican parties in South Carolina and Nevada announced Saturday that they would not be holding their presidential nominating contests in 2020, and all Republican delegates will be committed to President Trump.

They join the Kansas Republican Party, which confirmed on Friday that it will not hold its caucuses in 2020.

So four states will apparently just crown Trump.

People try tell me Trump is not the Republican party. This is one more example of how he is. He has challengers now, so the GOP is going to hand him the nomination. That gives us a glimpse of what will happen if Trump loses the general and refuses to leave the White House.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
People try tell me Trump is not the Republican party. This is one more example of how he is. He has challengers now, so the GOP is going to hand him the nomination. That gives us a glimpse of what will happen if Trump loses the general and refuses to leave the White House.

That is perhaps the biggest lie of this whole mountain of lies... though perhaps it's more accurate to say that he is exactly what the party wants, and has wanted for decades. The rapid erosion of political and social norms under this regime, the utter destruction of international relations, none of it would have been possible without the recklessness of the WH occupant and the complicity (and occasional suggestion) of the party itself. Anyone who still thinks the GOP has not entirely become the TeaOP is deluding themselves. Anyone who thinks they can stick around and "change the party from within" by agreeing for now to disagree later is deluding themselves. This is who the the party is and what it wants. They've shown it to us, blatantly and undeniably. And they will not stop now that they've had a taste of absolute power. They will burn the country to the ground before they relinquish power - and, given how the military seems A-OK with such actions as propping up a failing private property of the president and seeing its funds raided for an unneeded border wall, that may well not be a metaphor...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is perhaps the biggest lie of this whole mountain of lies... though perhaps it's more accurate to say that he is exactly what the party wants, and has wanted for decades. The rapid erosion of political and social norms under this regime, the utter destruction of international relations, none of it would have been possible without the recklessness of the WH occupant and the complicity (and occasional suggestion) of the party itself. Anyone who still thinks the GOP has not entirely become the TeaOP is deluding themselves. Anyone who thinks they can stick around and "change the party from within" by agreeing for now to disagree later is deluding themselves. This is who the the party is and what it wants. They've shown it to us, blatantly and undeniably. And they will not stop now that they've had a taste of absolute power. They will burn the country to the ground before they relinquish power - and, given how the military seems A-OK with such actions as propping up a failing private property of the president and seeing its funds raided for an unneeded border wall, that may well not be a metaphor...

Tim Alberta's "American Carnage" is a fascinating blow-by-blow of how that came to be. (Just in case anyone missed it.)

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I try to stick to the Goldwater Rule as much as possible, but I doubt people would be shocked if I said that Trump's been declining lately. Preventative measures knowing he's not fit for campaigning?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
South Carolina's violating their own rules to cancel theirs. They don't have to cancel primaries and wouldn't if they didn't want him. It's his party. They are him, he is them.

CNN: Republicans move to nix primaries in show of support for Trump
It is not unprecedented for state Republicans or Democrats to decide not to hold a presidential primary when an incumbent is running essentially uncontested. In South Carolina, a key early primary state, Republicans decided to nix their presidential primaries in 1984 and 2004, when Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush were up for their second terms; while state Democrats skipped their contests in 1996 and 2012, with Bill Clinton and Barack Obama running for reelection, respectively.
"Whether or not to hold a presidential primary is a decision made by our state executive committee every four years," South Carolina GOP Chairman Drew McKissick said. "There is strong precedent on the part of both parties to not hold a primary when they control the White House."
It's expensive to hold a primary, it eats up money that could be better spent.

There is so much to get outraged about, we don't need this. This kind of thing lures people into publicizing outrage only to be burned when the GOP brings up whataboutism.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I try to stick to the Goldwater Rule as much as possible, but I doubt people would be shocked if I said that Trump's been declining lately. Preventative measures knowing he's not fit for campaigning?

For the record, if you are not in the APA, technically you are not bound by the Goldwater Rule. :tongue

Here's an excellent 11 minute discussion summarizing the issues around Trump's mental impairment. Both the psychiatrist and the former GOP party chair are on the same side, no nonsensical gaslighting denials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riaUFH4_tFw
WBGH News: Many people know that the field of psychiatry has typically declared it unethical for practitioners to diagnose public figures from afar, but a schism within the profession has emerged during the Trump presidency. Some experts have argued that given President Trump’s pattern of various troubling behaviors, it is important for the public to have such expert opinion available. Jim Braude was joined by Dr. Leonard Glass, an associate professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, a psychiatrist at McLean Hospital, and a contributor to the book, ‘The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: :37 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess A President’; and Fergus Cullen, former chair of the New Hampshire Republican Party from 2007 to 2008.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score

There is so much to get outraged about, we don't need this. This kind of thing lures people into publicizing outrage only to be burned when the GOP brings up whataboutism.
Ok, that sounds like a good guideline for you and anyone else who agrees to follow. If you think it shouldn't be a thread, adding to it may not be the best move, but I am happy to hear from you. But I manage my stress and do what works for me.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, that sounds like a good guideline for you and anyone else who agrees to follow. If you think it shouldn't be a thread, adding to it may not be the best move, but I am happy to hear from you. But I manage my stress and do what works for me.

I'm certainly not demanding you or anyone do anything. We are on the same side. :Hug2:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i think making the republicans own both explicit and consequential support of trump is fine, but i also think it's perfectly reasonable to note how commonplace canceled primaries are.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, if you are not in the APA, technically you are not bound by the Goldwater Rule. :tongue

Well that's good, because I'm kind of lying when I say I try to stick with the Goldwater Rule.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm certainly not demanding you or anyone do anything. We are on the same side. :Hug2:
Yes, we are. I am great with prescriptive advice in writing and other places. I do bristle a bit when anyone suggests I'm doing it wrong when the way I'm doing it has kept me active and focused and, frankly, alive. I just thought this helped counter the "he's not the GOP" narrative, which is clearly, as my Irish nana would say, "bunk." I am very glad we're on the same side, and glad for your voice (I mean that).

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Be gentle please.

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That's the point though, right? The GOP fully owned Reagan and Bush, as the Dems owned Clinton and Obama. Now the GOP fully owns Trump. That tells us something...it's official...the GOP are now authoritarian white supremicists ... and proud of it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's the point though, right? The GOP fully owned Reagan and Bush, as the Dems owned Clinton and Obama. Now the GOP fully owns Trump. That tells us something...it's official...the GOP are now authoritarian white supremicists ... and proud of it.

I think that happened a while back.

But along this line, I've seen a couple discussions that the issue isn't about competition for the primary, the issue is to quash criticism of Trump that will be publicized if someone runs against him.

Good thing not all states are canceling their GOP primaries.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/republicans-in-three-states-cancel-primaries-and-caucuses/

So four states will apparently just crown Trump.

That Trump does not represent the GOP is a blatant lie.

He has over an 80% approval rating among Republicans. With very few exceptions, Republican senators and representatives make excuses for, or even defend, even his most outrageous statements.

There's also the fact that the GOP has been "radicalizing" evangelical Christians for decades with their rhetoric about culture wars etc (anyone else remember when they invited Buchanan to speak at the 1992 GOP convention). They made peace with him and all he stood for before the ink was dry (figuratively speaking) on the 2016 ballots.

Trump is the heart of what has become the GOP.

Given his high approval ratings among the party base--comparable to other sitting presidents' ratings within their own parties--I doubt any primary challengers will unseat Trump. It doesn't show that he is in trouble with his own base.

Actually, I'm concerned that there's another force at foot: if any of these decide, when unsuccessful in the primaries, to launch a third-party candidacy, it could very well hurt whoever the Democratic candidate is by giving any disgruntled former Trump voting independents and the small fraction of Republicans who still dislike him a third option.

Last edited:

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
he never had a chance in hell of winning the nomination anyways, but it's kinda sad because Bill Weld would make a fairly decent POTUS

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump is the heart of what has become the GOP.

Trump is a tapeworm that crawled up the ass of the GOP and ate it from the inside out. There's naught left of the elephant now but a bag of skin wrapped around squirming unpleasantness.

(I know someone will tell me the party was ever thus and, true, it has been thus all my lifetime. But I suppose in the time of Lincoln, it may've been better?)