CNRs and Querying other agents at the same agency

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
I have a query at one agency reaching the time when I will mark it Closed, No Response, per the stated review times in the confirmation email from the query. At that point, I'd like to query a different agent at the agency. The agency says it's fine to submit to another agent after one has rejected a query. However, I'm not sure how long past the stated time of review I should wait before sending out the query again. After all, the initial query hasn't been rejected definitively, and I get the impression from QueryTracker that review periods often go longer than the stated six weeks. Any advice on how to handle this? I'd rather not mention the CNR in the subsequent query since that's not the most auspicious intro to my project.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If there are no guidelines given by the agency I would follow up the initial submission after three months have passed, give it another six weeks or so, then consider submitting to other agents there. You're better off leaving a little too much time than leaving too little, I think.

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
If there are no guidelines given by the agency I would follow up the initial submission after three months have passed, give it another six weeks or so, then consider submitting to other agents there. You're better off leaving a little too much time than leaving too little, I think.

I was prepared to follow this route and then learned that the agent I first queried had subsequently changed agencies. Now I'm free to query her former colleague and re-query her at her new place. Funny how the constant churn in the industry can sometimes work to our benefit.

gbhike

Registered
Reaction score
Just for what it's worth, for anyone else that happens to stumble across this post in the future, I've had agents come back and request after 2+ months of not responding before. So I'd hate to query another agent at the agency only to find out the first one is coming back to request. Could make for an awkward situation.