Forum loading slower today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps it's something on my end, but today AW forum pages have been loading rather slowly. Other websites seem to load fine. Will try rebooting my router in case that helps somehow.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Try another browser or try updating your preferred browser to the latest version?

Works great for me, if a mod/admin wants to know if anyone else is having issues.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We're having waves of bots attempting to register; they're coming in mostly from Russian and Ukranian sites. I'm blocking IP ranges as quickly as possible, but things will be intermittently slow.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
f**king bots...

For what it's worth, I've not noticed much if any slowdown, but then again, I'm on a gigabit fiber connection these days :)

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
I've had some other odd bugs on the site in the last 24 hrs. For instance, when I give reputation points to a post, I get the regular "may you be so fortunate" confirmation message, immediately followed by a "you cannot give a rep to the same poster twice" message. I wonder if my reps are going through. Also, I've posted a reply that got the normal confirmation and then a "you can't post again until there have been twenty seconds between posts" message. When I looked at the initial post, it had my whole message twice. I edited it to delete the double-tap.

Could these also be side-effects of attempts to deal with the bot attacks?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've had some other odd bugs on the site in the last 24 hrs. For instance, when I give reputation points to a post, I get the regular "may you be so fortunate" confirmation message, immediately followed by a "you cannot give a rep to the same poster twice" message. I wonder if my reps are going through. Also, I've posted a reply that got the normal confirmation and then a "you can't post again until there have been twenty seconds between posts" message. When I looked at the initial post, it had my whole message twice. I edited it to delete the double-tap.

Could these also be side-effects of attempts to deal with the bot attacks?

They are not side effects of the attempts to deal with bots.

That's mostly over at present; that may not last. It's a constant problem.

It's likely a brief connection issue, especially if you're using WiFi. If you get the message that you can't give a rep point to the same post twice, that means the rep point definitely went through; it's possible that the comment didn't, but not likely.

Last edited:

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
They are not side effects of the attempts to deal with bots.

That's mostly over at present; that may not last. It's a constant problem.

It's likely a brief connection issue, especially if you're using WiFi. If you get the message that you can't give a rep point to the same post twice, that means the rep point definitely went through; it's possible that the comment didn't, but not likely.

I see. Thanks! It was the first time I experienced these things, so I jumped to a question.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've been having issues on every computer on the college campus where I work, but before today, my home computer was fine. I thought it might be the campus computing folks now throttling down off-campus sites or something, but other off campus sites, even ones far more greedy of bandwidth than AW, are loading fine. The slow loading seems to happen on both firefox and chrome at work.

As of today, my home computer is loading and refreshing AW slowly too. It's not as bad as the work computers, which can take well over a minute per page to load (sometimes 2-3 minutes), but when I click on an AW forum link today, I stare at the little loading icon for 20 sec or so before the thread I want comes up. I'm using firefox 69.0.1 on my home computer. Not sure which version is on the workstations I've used on campus. I have no control over the software of version on those computers.

I'm going to try clearing my cache (sigh, this always means I have to look up my passwords and re-enter them all) at home, but since the issue is happening on 3-4 different workplace computers, I don't think that's the issue there.

Okay, this didn't post--I got an error message saying I must wait 20 seconds between posts and should try again in five seconds. Except I haven't posted anything in much longer than 20 seconds, so I don't know what's up. It took almost a minute for this error message to pop up after I posted this.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Deleting cache seemed to help at home for me--everything is fine here now. It still takes minutes to load a page of this site on work computers. No idea what the source of the disconnect there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.