Texas governor Abbott shocked, shocked that shooter was able to buy his gun in Texas

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Texas Governor Shocked Shooter Got Rifle In State With Spotty Background Checks

Huff Post said:
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott expressed dismay on Monday that the mass shooter who killed seven people in West Texas had managed to buy an AR-style weapon in Texas even though he had a criminal history and didn’t register for a background check.

Abbott recently signed a host of new laws loosening gun restrictions in Texas, following guidelines provided by the National Rifle Association. And the Republican governor once tweeted that he was “embarrassed” that Texas trailed California in the number of gun purchases.

But in a Monday tweet, Abbott appeared rattled that the mass shooter had been able to purchase the AR-style gun that he used in Saturday’s bloody rampage in Odessa and Midland.

Texas Department of Public Safety records show that Seth Ator, 36, pleaded guilty in 2001 to misdemeanor counts of criminal trespass and evading arrest, the Austin American-Statesman reported. However, only felonies and misdemeanor domestic violence convictions block a gun purchase in Texas, according to the Texas Tribune.

Ator had failed to pass an earlier background check to buy a gun and “didn’t go thru a background check” for the rifle he used on Saturday, according to Abbott’s tweet.

The governor did not reveal how that gun was obtained. But Texas does not require background checks in most private sales, which includes some purchases at gun shows, according to the Tribune.

Abbott championed the series of laxer Texas gun laws that went into effect the day after the Odessa attack. They allow people to pack weapons in public places such as schools and churches, as well as in foster homes.

House Bill 1143, for instance, bars school districts from blocking licensed gun owners from keeping their firearms in vehicles in school parking lots, as long as the vehicles are locked and the weapons are out of sight.

In June, Abbott also vetoed a bill that would have made it a state crime to bring guns into secure areas of airports.

These leopards eating peoples' faces weren't supposed to crawl through the fence holes that they crawled through! Who'da thunk it!? Shocked, shocked. Which is why I made the holes bigger, to keep us safe.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
And Dan Crenshaw, also a Texan Republican in Congress, tweeted:

Situations like this story are why we protect the 2nd Amendment.

Side note: With universal background checks, I wouldn’t be able to let my friends borrow my handgun when they travel alone like this. We would make felons out of people just for defending themselves.

He keeps saying that outside of NYC, responsible gun owners lend their guns to friends all the time. The responsible gun owner I am married to was appalled by that idea. Then again, like most sane, actually responsible gun owners, supports background checks, mandatory safety classes, and other sensible gun laws. He likes living in a state with strict gun laws, which translates to low gun violence rates.

These GOP cowards will say and do anything to keep those bloody NRA dollars coming in.