I hope there's more of her (Trump voters with regrets)

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, he thinks a majority of the Democrats are incompetent &/or naive. He's a die-hard conservative that is dismayed at what the current GOP has turned into. He hates Trump -- but doesn't think any of the Democratic candidates are up to snuff ("Maybe Biden", he says reluctantly).

Ah, gotcha. Well, I hope that many conservatives who feel as he does just stay home on election day. I’d rather he realize what a complete shit-show Trump is and actively vote against that. But if his lack of voting is what helps a Democrat win, that’s okay too.

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
My father was an old-fashioned conservative southern Democrat (he was born in 1899, and yeah I'm old), but even early in my youth I realized he was wrong about lot of things (especially racism); however, i remained a Democrat. I liked Kennedy, and voted for LBJ despite his warts (Vietnam the biggest). I recognized the party was changing its focus. I think a lot of my generation have refused to change from their parent's views, and to see their own errors and failures. As for the candidates forthcoming, no one is perfect; I'm not a robot, but if the candidate mostly agrees with my views on the issues I'll probably vote for him/her. I do see my home state, Texas, gradually changing a little, but I'm not thinking it's going to happen soon.

startraveller

Registered
Reaction score
I think there's a case for some 45 voters being too arrogant to admit they were wrong; I'd say that extends to other voters and non-voters who acted out of spite. Instead of acknowledging their vote accounts for worsening conditions for others, and even themselves, they either double down or refuse to talk about it. As far as I'm aware, my entire family voted 45 or at least openly supported his campaign - I ended up the odd man out, and apparently have been for a long while. There has been no amount of attempted discussion, persuasion, or shaming on my end that has been able to convince them of anything. A handful of them revel in the racism, it's their favorite part of 45 and his administration. Some sheepishly admit he says hurtful and ignorant things, but that's as far as they'll go. I hope there are people who truly regret their choice, but it doesn't mean anything if they aren't actively trying to undo the terror they've helped elevate.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
You need to take into consideration that for many Americans, politics are not government. They're entertainment. They don't want to have a competent, quiet leader. That's boring. They want the one who will cause controversy. That's how you got Trump and how you're stuck with him for five more years, I fear.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You need to take into consideration that for many Americans, politics are not government. They're entertainment. They don't want to have a competent, quiet leader. That's boring. They want the one who will cause controversy. That's how you got Trump and how you're stuck with him for five more years, I fear.

And maybe longer than that, once he starts Palpatine-ing properly...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is a salient point, but worth saying that every American I know is begging for at least one quiet newsday once in a while.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
You need to take into consideration that for many Americans, politics are not government. They're entertainment.

Not just Americans who feel this way. I had a coworker (South Asian-Canadian, for the record) who made it clear in 2016 that he preferred the candidate who amused him. Needless to say, this wasn't Hillary Clinton.