Book and Reading Tracking | Book Journaling

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
There are still book social and tracking sites. I'm still using LibraryThing to catalog the books I own (as well as ebooks, audio books, and even DVDs). I also use Goodreads to track what I've read. And I do have a book review blog, though I haven't posted a review in months.

But I'm not really comfortable making public comments about books I'm just reading; it's got all sorts of potential minefields. I've tracked my reading with brief notes on my computer for several years. Since 2017, I've kept a reading list as part of my Bullet journal.

I'm thinking about starting a dedicated reading journal for personal use in a notebook (no of course it's not just an excuse to buy a notebook!). I'm thinking a list for each year, and possibly a few sentences about each book.

My questions:

1. Do you track your reading online, if so, where (social book site, personal site, Pinterest . . .)
  2. Do you have a reading journal? What do you use and how do you book journal?

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I use LibraryThing to catalogue as well, and use tags and a dedicated personal thread on a Talk group there (The Green Dragon) to keep track of my reading. I don't review per se, but will comment briefly on whether or not I've enjoyed something and why. There are multiple groups there for that purpose...but you know that. :)

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Never heard of LibraryThing but am downloading now. I hate to admit it, but after joining this community I think 3 years ago next month (confirmed!), one of my first things to do was to get some suggestions for a really good reading list from which I could make myself more well-read. For a while it was part of my signature of must reads for the year. As time has waned on and on, I have been at times more active, and others, less active, but after that thread (and the short time as a part of my signature since), I would come back here for my reading list until I finally put it together in a Wordpress blog that I can access from anywhere. I also put a few other things on there, but that's a story for another post. Long story short, I've used a few methods:

Cloud-based from a forum (this one, frankly speaking)
Cloud-based form a Wordpress site
And now, an app on my device

Another way of logging books you've read that I can speak to is what my significant other has always (and likely still) done:

Compiles a list in pen-and-paper from People Magazine. Every month, the recommended reading list would come out and get manually transcribed to this list. They read much more than I, mostly just for pleasure, at a pace of about 100 books/year. The sometimes three-page list (front and back) gets folded up and taken with them where ever they go, so as they finish a book, it's crossed off the list. Since we have a shared library on our Kindles, I have access to all those read, and would be happy to share if anyone wants to see it in its entirety. Hers is actually quite impressive...

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
Just joined goodreads recently. It's a fun way to find interesting new books and track what you have already read, share your opinions etc.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Since 2012, I've been tracking the books I've read, along with many other things, on Challenge Accepted. The site has been on hiatus for a while, but it all still works. It feels quite private since it's such a small site, and is designed to be a general task-tracker rather than being geared towards books. I think any of the To-Do apps available now would do a similar job, but I like the framing of this one and still use it every day.

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
I've been tracking all the books I read ever since 2012, first on paper and later I moved to Goodreads. I like Goodreads, because it gives recommendations and because I can easily read other people's reviews on a book and leave my own reviews. Also, quizzes and trivia are always fun.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, I don't track in any way, except in the book and short story challenges here! Or in the "What are you reading" thread. I started a list on Goodreads eons ago, but never kept up with it. I used to post reviews on Amazon, but that fell off long ago.

I'm getting to an age where I don't remember what I read as clearly as I used to, so maybe tracking would help. Shoot, in the Short Story challenge thread, someone else read a story I read just a few months ago, and I have no recollection of the story at all!

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a journal but I do keep a list of the books I have read with the year(s) I have read them. I started that in 2012 then got away from it for a while and started up again this year, so my list isn't complete. It's not online though, I keep it on Word and save it to a flash drive.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I use Goodreads. I like the social aspect (though I wish I had more active / interactive friends*). I do write a review of most things I read — I have occasionally thought about whether it might come back to bite me later if I have a book of my own published, but most of the writers I’ve been reading are dead, so I don’t worry about it too much. When I do read a relatively unknown living writer, I am more circumspect and won’t say anything if I haven’t anything nice to say.

I started the Short Story Challenge here on AW to have a way to track short stories the way I track books on Goodreads. Writing a paragraph about each story helps me remember it. (Again I try not to be too negative about emerging writers.) Knowing that I’m counting here keeps me reading them, and seeing starkly the proportion of older to modern stories helps keep that in balance too.

:e2coffee:

* If you’d like to add me, PM me and I’ll tell you my username.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Goodreads one under my real name I've been maintaining for about 10 years, and a more recent LibraryThing one, for books I've read under this name, that I've already published reviews for on my website.

The Goodreads one has all the books I remember reading from the past plus the ones from the last 10 years, and is 500+. I rate them, but I don't write reviews for them all, unless it's one that's struck me strongly.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
I've used Goodreads. Finding and editing my reading comments was a pain.

On LibraryThing, I sometimes make notes in the Comments or Review fields while I read. Most of my notes for ebooks are recorded in the book with whatever e-reader it's in. (I use a few.) Other notes are scattered around on paper, on unpublished blog posts, and in additional notetaking apps. So, I might've given up on organization?

Litsy is tempting as a tracker for reading progress and notes; however, it looks highly social, like an Instagram for book lovers.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I keep meaning to update my Goodreads or join some other book site, but I'm picky on how I review/how much info I want to give. Plus I have 1600+ reviews and that's a pain in the rear to add to any site at this point.

The closest thing I do to tracking my reads is my review blog (link in signature) and associated website. Helps me sort out my thoughts on what I read, plus I can organize things the way I want on my own site, and it doesn't have to make sense to anyone else.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Via the SFWA blog Dan Brotzel On Keeping a List of All the Books I’ve Ever Read

I'm still thinking about this. Not sure I'm going to move away from the computer text file, but mulling it over in case it's just an excuse to buy a notebook ;)

Always a good thing to do — you will need it for something, surely?

I wish I had written down a paragraph or two about every book I read, which is not something I did before I started using Goodreads a few years ago. I have an absolutely terrible memory and there are so many books I know I have read, but can remember nothing (or next to nothing) about them.

I should start a rainy-day project of downloading or copying all my Goodreads reviews into my own file, against the day that the plug is pulled on Goodreads. (One of my favorite Goodreads members recently deleted her account after some trouble with a serial harasser, and it’s such a terrible loss—not least because I have no other contact with her and have lost a wonderful partner for discussing books, but also because of the wealth of knowledge and insight in her reviews, which are now gone.)

:e2coffee:

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
I keep a list of all of the books I've read in the back pages of my paper journal (title, author, date completed, #of times reading it -- and I won't be surprised some day if a prosecuting attorney says "and this list explains everything, Your Honor!"), and I'll occasionally copy a passage from a book into my journal, but beyond that I don't tally them further. I sometimes visit Goodreads to see what the reaction is to a given book, but that's really so personal that it isn't much of a guide for me.

I'm honestly afraid of "quantifying" my reading too much. I think this is what killed my desire to run: I was keeping minute records about time and pace and distance and such, and I was never "in the moment" of running. Each day I had a given number of miles I "had" to run, and I came to dread it. I don't want that to happen to my reading.