What's up with this trend in YA titles?

SVenus

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed. Many recent novels have the same title formula, which is, "X of Y and Z." Some particular publisher's fancy? Maybe I'm just imagining it, but here are some examples:

Children of Blood and Bone
Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Court of Frost and Starlight
Gods of Jade and Shadow
Song of Wraiths and Ruin

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure it's just marketing, a way of signalling to the reader that if they liked a book with a similar sounding title, then this will be their kind of thing. There must be evidence that it works in encouraging people to pick the book off the shelf/website, or I doubt they'd do it. Personally I'm not a fan, and books often blur into one for me, but I'm not a young adult either so I'm not their target audience. That said, I think it happens in the adult market too, there was recentish controversy around a book with a title similar to Girl on the Train, but I can't remember the other book now. And I noticed lots of books with the word liars after We Were Liars did so well.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed that too with other titles, can't think of them off hand, but there's a lot of "you" and "us" and "we" Like One of Us is Lying, The Silence Between Us. There's a lot more if you really think about it. I think they're trying to give it a personal feeling.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don’t know if it can be considered a trend anymore, when I remember noting it back 8 years ago when Daughter of Smoke & Bone and Girl of Fire & Thorns were being published & other books had similar titles then. Obviously publishers feel that these kind of titles sell to YA readers. They have a good rhythm, but otoh, I definitely get them confused.

Robots

In the future where will I be ?
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's imho an annoying trend. This type of titles has become so stale and they all resemble each other.

Another trend in YA novels as well as movies seems to be:

Before + I/We/You + Fall/Go/Wake/Sleep/Come Up With A Better Title...

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember when it was all about "The *craftsman's* Wife" and "The *craftsman's* Daughter" and various iterations of same?

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently I should write, "The court of nightmares and night"
Rather dark and ominous!

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to see, say, "The Midwife's Husband" or "The Charwoman's Son" or something like that.

THIS. Those "Daughter" and "Wife" titles come off as so sexist to me. They say NOTHING about the books' heroines and EVERYTHING about the men who "own" them.

skylessbird2218

I Don't Bite...
Registered
Reaction score
Children Of Mother And Father.
Files Of Windows And Mac.
Rides In Bikes And Cars.
Yeah, so many unexplored names. Gotta catch 'em all.

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I agree that some of these titles get rather boring after you've seen the same layout "The X's Daughter". But what if "X's" was something unique like the (just making this up on the spot) "The Asteroid Thief's Daughter?" (Wow. That make-up-on-the-spot title actually sounds pretty cool.) Or is that still boring and says nothing about the MC?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to see, say, "The Midwife's Husband" or "The Charwoman's Son" or something like that.
"The Charwoman's Son" has potential, though. Although not as a YA title. It would be the story of a man whose whole life is shaped by being the son of a struggling single mother. He starts out willing to do anything for a steady, secure life, then greed gets the better of him. In the end he has to really think about what's important to him, and what he's become.

As for the "Midwife's Husband" - a story about a man who's wife is a midwife, and she's always delivering other people's babies, but doesn't seem to want to have one of their own.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Are titles meant to tell you something about a character, or more to give you a sense of the kind of story you're getting into?
From straight-up 'Murder' or 'Death' to something more atmospheric, like 'Shadows on the Bayou', or 'A Spiral of Pixies', isn't the title just a way of luring you in?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Are titles meant to tell you something about a character, or more to give you a sense of the kind of story you're getting into?
From straight-up 'Murder' or 'Death' to something more atmospheric, like 'Shadows on the Bayou', or 'A Spiral of Pixies', isn't the title just a way of luring you in?

I think the complaint isn't so much about the ability of those kind of titles to sell--obviously they do--but that they seem to be about a character, but in fact are not. So often it's a daughter where the descriptor is about the father. Particularly, in YA, where the story has to be a teen, why focus on the teen's father? Why start out suggesting that the MC is only as interesting as their parents?

The one I remember that was a mother, not a father, was the Sin-Eater's Daughter. Very misleading title, as the sin-eating was described in one memory, and had no effect on the entire story

My favorite, alas, did not come to pass. I had hoped The Daughter of the Pirate King would reveal that her secret was that she was trans. That would've made me love that title. Sadly, that was not the secret.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I think the complaint isn't so much about the ability of those kind of titles to sell--obviously they do--but that they seem to be about a character, but in fact are not. So often it's a daughter where the descriptor is about the father. Particularly, in YA, where the story has to be a teen, why focus on the teen's father? Why start out suggesting that the MC is only as interesting as their parents?

That. It's just plain sexist to me. Why do all these books about female main characters mention a man in the title when the story isn't about him? In historical and women's fiction those titles are everywhere.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, those titles seem to imply that the most interesting thing about a woman is the man she’s married/related to. Granted, if it’s a book about the 19th century, that could be taken as a commentary on an era when very few women in the middle class and up had professions. But I don’t like it for contemporary novels.

Ironically, though, I can’t think of any titles of actual 18th- or 19th-century books that follow this pattern. Some must exist, but back then it was way more common to name a book after its heroine (Moll Flanders, Clarissa, Jane Eyre) or its setting (The Mill on the Floss, Wuthering Heights). Guess that’s out of fashion now.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I was trying to come up with some good (i.e. legitimate, workable) ideas for this pattern last night while watching Supernatural season 11 (Wherein Chuck and Lucifer are having a heart to heart). "The son of God" popped into my head. Can't quite connect the dots on this one, but it does seem like a related linguistic thing.

God is definitely the power broker in that construction. Son of God (spoiler: Jesus, not Lucifer)--Whoa. This 'son' guy has gotta be an interesting dude to watch. Is he God? No, not quite, but he might have a few god-like traits. And then, big twist, he becomes the lamb of God. What?? Now that's just weird.

I wonder if there's some psychological association between titles like Daughter of the Iron King (FREX) and Son of God/Lamb of God. Like, the titles work for the same reason. It's a way to say there's something powerful here, but you don't know what, exactly, it is.

Last edited: