Harry Potter And The Depths of Ignorance

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remind me what century we live in? I can’t even, anymore. :cry:

Pastor at St Edward junior school in Nashville says JK Rowling’s use of ‘actual spells’ risks conjuring evil spirits

The Guardian said:
A private Catholic school in Nashville has removed the Harry Potter books from its library, saying they include “actual curses and spells, which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits”.

Local paper the Tennessean reported that the pastor at St Edward Catholic school, which teaches children of pre-kindergarten age through to 8th grade, had emailed parents about JK Rowling’s series to tell them that he had been in contact with “several” exorcists who had recommended removing the books from the library.

“These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception,” Rev Dan Reehil wrote. “The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”

Curses and spells included in the bestselling books, which were published between 1997 and 2007, include “avada kedavra”, the “killing” curse; “crucio”, the torture curse; and “imperio”, which allows the wizards to control others’ actions.

Rebecca Hammel, superintendent of schools for the Catholic diocese of Nashville, told the Tennessean that Reehil had sent the email after an inquiry from a parent. She added that “he’s well within his authority to act in that manner”, because “each pastor has canonical authority to make such decisions for his parish school”.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Heh. That reminds me of the time I read a fix-it fanfic called "Harry Potter and the King of Kings", where Harry meets some random Christian who convinces him of the evil of magic and converts him.

I don't think Ron and Hermione appeared in the fanfic. Maybe there's a sequel where Harry burns them at the stake.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like the plot to Footloose (an over-reaching pastor).

As someone who created his own 800+ spells, many of the spell names are Latin translations from English of absolutely nothing. Just English words translated to Latin to make it sound more old world.

A public librarian told me how locals, periodically, try to get Harry Potter books removed from the shelves. She tells them anything that gets young readers to come in and read, she is all for. This pastor is against young minds wanting to read?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Seriously, JK Rowling's humorous use of "not quite Latin" for the incantations in HP?

Even if someone believes in real-life curses and spells, thinking a whimsical kid's book contains real magic?

Also, being in a lather about Harry Potter is so early 2000s.

This pastor is against young minds wanting to read?
Yes, he probably is, at least he's probably against young minds reading things that are too much fun or that he personally doesn't have tight control over.

I suspect the real reason isn't so much fear of kids tossing real curses at each other. Some adults simply can't stand to see kids enjoying themselves and partaking of any pastime that stimulates kids' imagination.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping this might be a thread for people who have never read Harry Potter. But I guess I'm the only one, hey? In my defence, the first books came out when I was living in Malaysia and they were banned because of the Magic (not religiously, just that Malaysia was trying to discourage the idea of magic because it's so much a part of their culture).

I still remember the first time I caught a train when I was back in Australia (I guess that would be 1997?) and every person was reading a book. And I suddenly realised IT WAS THE SAME BOOK! I was - dumbfounded. Yes. Dumbfounded is what I was.

Shouldn't that be dumbfoundered? Lisa? Halp?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
You're not alone! I haven't read any of the books either.

You'd think that if the spells and incantations were capable of summoning evil spirits someone would have rumbled it during the past *checks publication date* 22 years.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're not alone! I haven't read any of the books either.

You'd think that if the spells and incantations were capable of summoning evil spirits someone would have rumbled it during the past *checks publication date* 22 years.
The thing is (not having read it) Did not Ursula le Guin write this already with Earthsea?

I Think She Did.

Chronodendron

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, dear... I saw that and hoped it was a joke.
Never read the books and don't intend to, but I bet I'd rather read every spell and incantation book out there than whatever that guy considers appropriate literature. tsk.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I read these books over and over again while I was pregnant. Pregnant, cranky, and hormonal.

If those spells worked, that poor woman who tried to touch my belly for luck would still be my snake-slave.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
When our son became school age we enrolled him in the local French immersion school which happened to be Catholic. The first thing I did was ask if they had Harry Potter (and books on dinosaurs) in the library - which they did. As much as I wanted him to be bilingual, I would not have enrolled him if they did not.

I'm predicting that the book stores in Nashville will be getting a boost from Harry Potter sales from this regressive idiot.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm predicting that the book stores in Nashville will be getting a boost from Harry Potter sales from this regressive idiot.

I should hope so.

They're decent kids' books. A bit dated at this point, here and there, but the earlier ones especially are solid stories emphasizing loyalty and kindness.

Also, aren't these schools exactly the places that ought to notice all the Latin is made up?

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
I volunteered at a children's hospital where the keeper of the children's library would not have "those Harry Potter" books in her collection. She moved on, and I made sure to donate the HP books to the library right away!

The thing about such a ban in a school is that it will pretty much drive the kids (and parents) to read the very books objected to. In some ways I think these "authorities" believe they are still dealing with illiterate peasants and can make such assertions.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
The pastor and all these several exorcists know about this little thing called the internet? Or the movies? Or the frickin' theme park?

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If speaking pidgeon-Latin Potteresque spells out loud worked, there'd be a lot of dead pedophiles in the Catholic church. I'm just saying.

skylessbird2218

I Don't Bite...
Registered
Reaction score
Should I read them again? I mean, I could really really use some "evil spirits" around me right about now. I hope the pastor is right...

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My attitude towards my current job could use some accio improvio. Maybe I’m just not pronouncing it right.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Not read them, and growing ever less likely to since I found out how uncomfortably TERF-adjacent J.K. Rowling is, but it's hard to overestimate the cultural impact of the Harry Potter books. And it's gosh darned mystifying, in the Year of our Lord 2019, to see a shambling zombie moral panic resurrected so long after it fell dormant. Not to mention kind of nostalgic. What's next? A revival of handwringing over Eminem lyrics? (hey, did you know that the kids' favourite verb, 'stan', comes from an Eminem song from 20 years ago? How's that for time travel? It's like if my generation had all referenced Pink Floyd lyrics when we were in high school.)

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
A teacher friend is starting a diverse classroom library (I'm making a to-read list of titles from her wishlist) for her public middle school students and I just sent off a carton of requested titles that included my full Harry Potter collection. So there, pastor.