Potentially-unnoticed medical conditions or traits that I could link to magic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
A story idea I'm working on handles a supernatural event that affects a very small portion humans (otherwise biologically normal humans, nothing fantastical about them). The rate of vulnerability is vaguely numbered as one among thousands. I'm looking for a disease or medical trait that I could link to people who are susceptible to this supernatural event. Ideally, I was hoping to find a class of "external senses disabilities" like inner ear problems or balance issues, because it works for thematic reasons, but it's not necessary.

So:
-Medical trait or disease (or a class of medical traits/diseases/disabilities that collectively work with the below)
-Affects "one person among thousands" (is mentioned that a town of 40k has only 3 or so 'victims', but this can be above or below average)
-Not immediately noticeable or widely known among WW1-era/medical understanding level doctors (about the tech-level of the story's society)
-Has some precedent for being genetic and passed along to children, but is far, far from guaranteed.
-Ideally related to senses, like hearing, sight, smell, balance, etc.

This is a bit complicated, hence I wasn't really sure how to go about researching without punching random disabilities into wikipedia or WebMD and hope to find something that works out. If this list makes any of you immediately think of something, please share! :)

bugbite

Registered
Reaction score
I think its going to be very tough to find specific medical issues.

Maybe going from nearly blind to being able to see from cataracts.

People that suffer from paralysis are able to recover yet its not an issue that's passed down.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
How about synesthesia? (A bit more prevalent than 'one among thousands', but it hits all your other requirements.)

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Another one that's going to be more prevalent than one in thousands (especially because with the genetic component, you're liable to see it appear in family clusters rather than equally distributed throughout the population), but otherwise might fit the bill is prosopagnosia.

It has a couple things going for it from a writing perspective:

1) It has the common nickname of "face blindness." That will keep you from having to use a technical term throughout the story (although, of course, you can always make up a nickname for whatever you settle on).

2) Thanks to Arrested Development readers are much more likely to know it exists than they would have a couple decades ago. Be aware, though, that the depiction in AD isn't remotely representative - that character may have been face-blind, but he was also a moron. (e.g. if you know you have a blonde, female guest in your home, you're not going to freak out because you enter the house and encounter... a blonde female).

2) It's rarely diagnosed in childhood. Indeed, it's not uncommon for people to go their entire lives believing they're simply "bad with faces." (Just like being color-blind, sufferers don't realize something's lacking because it was never there to begin with).

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some mutations exist for certain limitations or enhancements of the senses. For example, color blindness. There's also red/green color blindness, and the much rarer blue/yellow color blindness. There are also some people that have a mutation to see more colors than average.

Tasting skills can vary also. On 23andme one gene, or group of inherited genes, expresses a hatred for cilantro. So I could imagine an inherited aversion or preference for certain tastes.

Same thing goes for smell. I saw a news story recently about a lady that could detect Parkinson's disease by smell.

There's also a genetic trait to have perfecct pitch, or no sense of pitch.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for commenting, everyone!

Depending on which condition(s) I go with, I might have to rethink how I write from the affected character's perspectives. I suppose any trait's relative frequency in the population can be "solved" by including some other factor that makes these people subject to the supernatural event. One other concern would be how obvious it might be to an outside observer/reader that "oh, this is the unifying cause".

I'm starting to think that a cross-section of conditions or traits will be necessary to get exactly the sort of situation I've concocted. (Or maybe some intersection between something medical, and something social or environmental).

katfireblade

Fluffy lurker in shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Not mentioned but worth considering are also mental illnesses.

If a sensitive/magically latent person is bombarded with too much "information," they could first display mental traits--feeling imaginary presences, inability to handle stimuli, sleepwalking, nightmares, or even more extreme in splintering personalities, mood swings, etc. Even if you don't want your disease to be purely mental, it might make for some good first symptoms and/or a way to distinguish the "magical" disease from more prosaic ones with similar symptoms.

Hypersensitivity is also an interesting one. In real life, this could briefly appear due to stress or anxiety or be something one is born with and deals with all their life. Basically it's when all your senses are more heightened. If born with it, it's usually normal to the person, but is noticed when they start comparing their experiences with those around them. Those with good noses also have the tendency to be called upon frequently by friends and family to "track a smell down." Smell can also effect them greatly, with scents being so powerful they can make them nauseous, dizzy or light headed, or even throw those who are prone to it into a migraine.

I have a friend who gets drugs intravenously for her MS, and she can actually feel them spread through her system, and even taste the difference. The nurses actually tested her once, had her close her eyes and wouldn't tell her which drug they were giving her. She identified them all correctly by taste. Not that it's all that pleasant for her--the nicest tasting one tastes like Windex.

For myself, I once had fun with hearing. I worked at my family's video store, and they had one of those industrial ice cream coolers brought in so we could serve ice cream. Almost as soon as they powered that sucker up the most godsawful chirpy-screech started sounding, high pitched and just awful. There was no escaping it either, it bounced from wall to wall and could be heard all over the store (don't think Blockbuster but a small-town video store with multiple rooms in a converted building). It hurt like a ice pick through my skull.

I begged them to let me leave until the machine was done gearing up, but they didn't believe what I was experiencing and made me stay. I mean, no one else, staff or customers, were having any issues. It wasn't until they found me cramming my body as far as it would go into a corner on the far side of the store with my face dead white--somehow the sound bounced so it missed that corner if I stood juuuuust right, and I didn't even realize what I was doing until I was caught at it, I just wanted to escape the noise--that they finally acknowledged something might be wrong. So my aunt, determined to get to the bottom of it, walked over to the machine and heard nothing. She circled it a couple times, then finally got on her hands and knees, and put her ear directly to the vent.

I never forgot what she said next, beaming from ear to ear because she'd finally solved the mystery; "I hear it! It sounds like a cricket!"

A different friend's child had a step up from Hypersensitivity, though I don't recall the name of what she had. I think it may have been Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD), though I'm not 100% on that (I recall her situation more than the name, he'd often vent to me about her progress). But what it amounted to was she had trouble living a normal life. Scents, sounds, tastes, everything was so overpowering that she often had trouble leaving the house. It took years of treatments and therapy before she learned to handle it.

One of the issues she had was she couldn't "block out" the way others can; for instance, if you were listening to music, in the background you might hear cars on the road, construction far in the distance, a plane passing overhead, a dog barking, and someone talking loudly on a cellphone in the other room. If you focused you may notice all this, but you also have the ability to let those unimportant noises "fade," to shunt them aside so all you really hear is the music. Maybe also the cellphone, if they're being really annoying.

She didn't. She'd hear everything, all the time. The same with smells, they never deadened for her, she never got used to them to the point she didn't smell them. Every touch was felt, every color seen, all bombarding her, all the time. It was a wonder she could function at all. On the upside, she learned to love hanging in her room and became a really smart bookworm and computer techie. :)

She presented as having emotional issues, mainly because the constant barrage of sensory information was just so intense and overwhelming she would easily lash out, startle, become overwhelmed, and/or break down crying. Sometimes in short succession of one another. She was a mess. And while it presented at first glance as a mental illness, it was actually very much a physical disorder.

To my knowledge what she has can cluster in families (it's kind of a recently discovered thing), and that tentatively implies it may be genetic, but if so it's quite recessive. Neither of her parents had it, nor could they think of a close blood relative who did, though there were possibilities a generation or two back, just judging by similarities in behavior.

Never underestimate what having heightened senses can do to a person, and it's terribly difficult to diagnose, even now. I mean, how can you prove what you see or hear or feel, or explain how different it is from those around you? As a disease symptom, that would be positively insidious.

Last edited:

juliavitalevna

Registered
Reaction score
I love this one:
CONGENITAL ANALGESIA a rare condition in which a person cannot feel pain and has never felt physical pain.
(CIP) very dangerous condition and people normaly die in childhood because illnesses and injuries go unnoticed.

juliavitalevna

Registered
Reaction score
Not mentioned but worth considering are also mental illnesses.

If a sensitive/magically latent person is bombarded with too much "information," they could first display mental traits--feeling imaginary presences, inability to handle stimuli, sleepwalking, nightmares, or even more extreme in splintering personalities, mood swings, etc. Even if you don't want your disease to be purely mental, it might make for some good first symptoms and/or a way to distinguish the "magical" disease from more prosaic ones with similar symptoms..

Yes Mental illness is a good one for link with magic. Made me think of Take Shelter 2011 plot. The main characters is seen to have a mental illness but in the end has the power to see into the future

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Just as a caveat: a great many SF/fantasy books from several decades ago used the mental health/but really foreknowing or magic/ connection. If you use this one, be sure to read some of what's already out there first.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of medical conditions I have heard about recently. Up to you to research how common they are and the rest:-

macular degeneration - partial blindness in your eye/eyes. Genetically linked but recessive so you need gene from both parents but they don't necessarily have the condition. I think there's different versions that can effect you from birth or middle age.

There's a condition, don't know the name of it, where people are hypersensitive to certain textures. It's not autism. My nephew wouldn't eat anything soft including fruit or even icecream! He also wouldn't touch playdoh. In past generations they wouldn't call this a condition just being fussy!

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
Could type 1 diabetes work? Fairly common, but from what I understand, treatment radically changed in the 60s. It's an invisible disease. I have something similar and when I'm about to have a severe reaction, I can basically get eerily in tune with what's going on around me. Bipolar mania can cause this awareness in people too, but everyone's different. I am also balance poor due to being born at 24 weeks and having seizures as a baby. I am literally too uncoordinated to drive. POTS and ankliosing spondylitis (not the correct spelling but I tried) are invisible and have tons of symptoms that might fit. I hope this helps.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Came here to say synesthesia, but I'll add the theory(?) of the cool fact that when it combines with autism, it is theoretically(?) responsible for savant conditions. The brain is amazing and we don't understand most of it. I'm also totally not an expert on this, I just seem to remember reading/hearing something along these lines.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Ehlers Danlos Syndrome mostly fits. There are 12 different types, so you could pick the one that fits best. Where EDS doesn't fit is that, while the common belief is that it affects 1 in 5 to 20 thousand people, the world's leading experts think it's closer to 1 in 100, but how badly the EDS affects a person varies so wildly that it's extremely difficult to diagnose and most doctors don't know anything about it. It is severely underdiagnosed and it usually takes decades to diagnose because a. most doctors don't know about it b. it involves such a random collection of symptoms. For example, in my family, I can peg my father, probably all three of my sibs, possibly my mother and grandmother, and certainly some of my aunts and cousins as well as a grandfather and great grandmother as having it. I'm the only one who's ever been diagnosed. The rest probably never will be - their symptoms are dismissed as minor or random or in their head. None of us present with the exact same list of symptoms/related disorders.

EDS is a genetic connective tissue disorder. One component of it, for some people, includes sensory processing disorders. I have EDS and I have sensory processing disorders along with a lot of other stuff that goes along with EDS.

Certainly, at least some of us have balance problems. Part of that is POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) along with proprioception problems. I have both.

If you have questions, please ask. Also, you can read the wikipedia entry on EDS for a reasonable summary of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.