Clouds/water vapor within a Von Braun wheel space station?

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Let's say you have one of those space stations that create gravity via rotation, (and which therefore have more gravity the further out you get from the center).

Now let's say that at or near the axle of this wheel, there's a lot of water vapor being produced (basically normal clouds). How would they behave? Would the vapor tend to stay near the center, as there's less gravity there? Or would it be pulled by the steadily increasing gravity to the outer edge and form a layer inside the outer rim?

Something else? Maybe collect somewhere in between the two extremes, above where air is denser but below where the gravity is lighter?

I'm finding a fair bit of information about the behavior of smoke and vapors in zero gravity, but I can't find anything about how it would behave in a hypothetical open area with widely variable amounts of gravity.

For the sake of the hypothetical, let's assume the temperature and atmosphere within the wheel are appropriate for comfortably supporting Earth-based lifeforms.

Last edited:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
You might do a Youtube search on ISS video tours to get an idea on how water behaves in zero G. Generally, cut some water loose and you have small round droplets, until they evaporate and the excess moisture removed from the atmosphere from the climate control system. Using the restroom can be particularly challenging and potentially quite unpleasant.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I would think that water vapor, which is heavier than air, is going to fall outward as the wheel rotates, simulating gravity (centrifugal effect, yeah?). Where's this moisture coming from, is there a leak? How big is the wheel, how wide are the rings, are they deliberately designed as ecosystems? I wonder if there's heat build-up on the rings and from which direction, i.e. is the wheel edge on to the Sun, or side-on, or angled deliberately so all rings get some heat some time as it rotates? Do you have graphics? :)

I write stuff like this too, I'd like answers lol.

-Derek

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just curious here, but wouldn't the supposed simulated pull of gravity in a rotating wheel environment really be more of a centrifugal 'push' towards the outermost surfaces.

Hmmmm. But yes, I can see how one would have to exert muscle use to stay vertical. Intriguing.

Apologies for derail. :flag:

Last edited:

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
There's no push as such, mass wants to travel in a straight line, but the rotating wheel takes you in an arc instead, it's that difference in momentum that gives the impression of gravity and sticks you to the deck.

-Derek

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's no push as such, mass wants to travel in a straight line, but the rotating wheel takes you in an arc instead, it's that difference in momentum that gives the impression of gravity and sticks you to the deck.

-Derek

Ah! As usual there's a logical answer. Thank you, Derek. :Thumbs:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
How big is the wheel, how wide are the rings... I wonder if there's heat build-up on the rings and from which direction, i.e. is the wheel edge on to the Sun, or side-on, or angled deliberately so all rings get some heat some time as it rotates?...? :)

I write stuff like this too, I'd like answers lol.

-Derek

*Freaks*

OMG! I didn't even think of these questions! Man, physics are NOT my strong suit.

The Space Station is shaped like a large drum. Very, very, VERY big, with just one central axle running through the middle.

That axle is, among other things, a massive sprinkler system, sending water to the outer edge for farming purposes. However, spraying water through a space that large would inevitably result in some it turning to a fine mist and creating "clouds," which are replenished each time the sprinkler system activates.

It's the behavior of these clouds I'm trying to determine, specifically how they would appear to someone standing in one of the fields being watered.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Cool beans, I'm aboard with the cloud thing, I certainly wouldn't throw the book across the room (I might damage my Kindle!) if I read that.

-Derek

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Devil’s advocate: Why water crops the old-fashioned way? Why not use some form of drip-irrigation, to deliver water to roots? Is the station purposefully built to simulate planetary weather effects like clouds and rainfall?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Devil’s advocate: Why water crops the old-fashioned way? Why not use some form of drip-irrigation, to deliver water to roots? Is the station purposefully built to simulate planetary weather effects like clouds and rainfall?

They'd probably use hydroponics in a closed system rather than growing crops in soil. There are some very successful complete cycling systems with fish filtering the water, among other techniques.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Water doesn't tend to form a fine mist however. It will tend to clump together via surface tension in to spherical droplets. With no 'gravity' at the center, it's only the outward momentum of the sprinklers that will direct the water to the edges. It won't gain artificial gravity until it is accelerated laterally somehow. Also, due to the Coriolis effect, it will not land at the location at which it is aimed.

That said, it is a very bad idea to try to water your crops this way. Assuming an earth like atmosphere, your evaporation losses will be high. No, you want to apply the water locally.

FYI, some dynamics you need to know about your rotating gravity spaceship:

1. Coriolis effect. Maximum at the Earth's poles (your 'axle') and zero at the equator (your living surface at the edge of the ring.)

Case 1 - poles. Let's say you place an X at the end of a road going directly South from the North pole, and throw a rock at it. The rock will travel towards the initial position of the X, but since the earth is rotating, the X will move laterally and the rock will land some distance beside it. Now if you drove down that road, you would head towards the X but incur a lateral force (Coriolis Force) so you can be accelerated laterally to keep on track with the X.

Case 2 - Equator. You are standing on the equator and throw a rock due North down a road with an X painted on the end of it. This time you are standing 90 degrees from where you were standing on the pole, and travelling laterally at approximately 24,000 mph. If you throw a rock at the X, the rock has the lateral momentum built in to it so it continues to travel laterally and along with the line, and it hits the X. Drive down the road, no lateral force. On the earth, as you move down the lines of latitude towards the equator, the Coriolis effect gradually transitions from maximum to none.

2. Eotvos Effect. The Eotvos effect is an apparent change in gravity when travelling in an east-west direction, and is strongest at the equator, and zero at the poles. Eotvos was a Hungarian physicist that was the first person to be able to measure it. If you swing a rock tied to a rope, centripetal force will cause a tension on the string. If you swing it faster, it will place a greater tension. If you are standing on the equator, you are being pried off the surface of the earth with a very small centripetal force which will counteract gravity, so you will appear to weigh less. If you travel in the direction of the earth's rotation, there will be a greater force, and in the other direction, a lesser force.

The Germans tried to do some experiments around WWI firing artillery shells east and west. The earth rotates to the east. The shells should fly further to the east than to the west. The Germans did not find a difference within the accuracy of the guns. Years later Eotvos placed accelerometers in ships traveling to the east and west. An accelerometer is basically a big heavy mass suspended by a spring that measures its own weight. By examining the recordings, Eotvos was able to determine that the accelerometers registered lighter in the east direction than they did in the west, by the calculated amount.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They'd probably use hydroponics in a closed system rather than growing crops in soil. There are some very successful complete cycling systems with fish filtering the water, among other techniques.

That's very true.

I suppose it depends on what style the OP is shooting for? If they want the visuals of "croplands in space", then go for it, just try to make it efficient because water falling from the "sky" is harder to manage and probably will rust the hell out of things they don't want it to.

Also, OP, consider that soil capable of growing things is a relatively rare and heavy commodity. The bigger your plantable fields, the more soil you had to 1) find or make, and 2) drag up there. Dunno how much world-building you want to do for this, but a couple of thoughts...

I doubt you'd want to just strip-mine planetary soil to do this? For one thing, the planet probably wants that soil. For another, "soil" is a complex ecosystem of fungi, micro-fauna, etc. J. Random shovel of soil is going to include pathogens, weed seeds, etc that you wouldn't want.

You could take regular soil, sterilize it, add back in the living stuff. You'd probably rather "make" your own soil in-situ, and carefully introduce the micro-flora and -fauna you want? Slow. Expensive, not sure how technically feasible it is -- you'd need rock ground to a fine powder (plenty of orbiting rocks to mine for that), carbon, nitrogen, potassium, phosphorous, trace minerals and who knows what else -- agronomists could maybe tell you? -- all mixed and "quickened" with the living stuff.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Warm air can hold more water than cold air . Warm wet , air will rise in the sky . As it rises up , it cools , the water turns into droplets and we see clouds . Warm air hitting something cold , the water turns into droplets , we see condensation. So if this space station is all the same temperature , everywhere. You would not have any clouds . You would have air conditioning , and extract the water . That is what happens in the current space station. If you wanted to have clouds in a space station you would needed to have on part heated and one part cold . The warm air moving into the cold part would shed it's water and form a mist .

Last edited:

writbeyondmeasure

Registered
Reaction score
Yo, Meteorologist here.

Cloud formation is going to depend on the temperature and density of the air between the source of the water and where it's going. If there is 'space' in between or very little atmosphere, you won't get clouds and the water molecules will just disperse in all directions. If there is an atmosphere, then what happens with the clouds will depend on the structure of the atmosphere.

I'm guessing the most likely case is the atmosphere is more dense near the edge of the drum. In this case, the stuff coming out of the sprinkler (unless it's a giant hose it should be air with some water vapour) will move outwards until it reaches a point where the density of the atmosphere equals the density of the stuff coming out of the sprinkler. If enough of that stuff clumps together you'll get clouds. Assuming there is constant heating (eg. no tilt like on Earth) then the clouds should form around the same height.