Can a Court Martial be Convened in Absentia

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a space opera and one of my characters -- actually a good guy -- goes rogue and mutinies, running off with his ship and those of his crew he trusts. My question is whether he might be court martialled in his absence? I think there is more oomph with a court martial in play

I realise my genre affords me plenty of leeway in what i may write, but, by the same token, I don't want things to come across as too outlandish or preposterous, if it were read by someone who had served in the military. I looked online, but couldn't find anything relating to the question.

Any input gratefully received. .

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
In the US--

Overview of trial in absentia. RCM 804(c):

1. The accused shall be considered to have waived the right to be present if after initially present he/she (1) voluntarily absents self after arraignment, or (2) is removed for disruption. For requirements of a valid arraignment, see RCM 904.

3. United States v. Sharp, 38 M.J. 33 (C.M.A. 1993). Notice to accused of exact trial date or that trial may continue in his absence, while desirable, is not a prerequisite to trial in absentia. Burden is on the defense to go forward and refute the inference of a voluntary absence. Military judge must balance public interest with right of accused to be present.

4. United States v. Price, 43 M.J. 823 (A. Ct. Crim. App. 1996), rev’d, 48 M.J. 181 (C.A.A.F. 1998). Trial in absentia is not authorized when military judge fails to conduct a proper arraignment. Reversing the ACCA, the CAAF stated that when military judge asked accused whether charges should be read, but failed to call upon the accused to plead, this constituted a defective arraignment. Waiver by voluntary absence will not operate to authorize trial in absentia if arraignment is defective, particularly considering that Global Military Justice Reform Blog military judge failed to also inform the accused that trial would proceed in accused’s absence. See generally RCM 904 (“Arraignment . . . shall consist of reading the charges and specifications to the accused and calling on the accused to plead.”).

5. See also United States v. Thrower, 36 M.J. 613 (A.F.C.M.R. 1993). While giving unsworn statement during sentencing, accused succumbed to effects of sleeping pills he took earlier and (missing word?) remainder of statement given by defense counsel. Held to be a voluntary absence.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
It's possible, but only in rare incidences and there are lots of technical requirements that have to be met. In the circumstances you describe, it would probably not be allowed. The only way it would be likely to be allowed is if he had been captured, arraigned, and then disappeared. Even then, probably not.

Jim Clark-Dawe