Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...there were mini-brains in a dish?

After Months In A Dish, Lab-Grown Minibrains Start Making 'Brain Waves'

NPR said:
By the time a fetus is 6 months old, it is producing electrical signals recognizable as brain waves.

And clusters of lab-grown human brain cells known as organoids seem to follow a similar schedule, researchers reported Thursday in the journal Cell Stem Cell.

"After these organoids are in that six-to-nine-months range, that's when [the electrical patterns] start to look a lot like what you'd see with a preterm infant," says Alysson Muotri, director of the stem cell program at the University of California, San Diego.

Poor dears are probably terribly bored. At least offer them Netflix?

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Only tangentially connected...there was a great series of kids' computer games made by an outfit called Humongous Entertainment back in the late 90s/early 2000s, very well written and full of amusing easter eggs for adult consumption. In one scene in a game (I think it was the first Pajama Sam game) was a sort of mad scientist lab, and when you clicked on a brain in a jar up on a shelf, a nice, quiet voice recited: "I think and I float/And I float and I think/About walking or driving a car/Or riding a bike/And I think and I float/Because I'm just a brain in a jar." For some reason, it was exquisitely hilarious.

/derail

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Only tangentially connected...there was a great series of kids' computer games made by an outfit called Humongous Entertainment back in the late 90s/early 2000s, very well written and full of amusing easter eggs for adult consumption. In one scene in a game (I think it was the first Pajama Sam game) was a sort of mad scientist lab, and when you clicked on a brain in a jar up on a shelf, a nice, quiet voice recited: "I think and I float/And I float and I think/About walking or driving a car/Or riding a bike/And I think and I float/Because I'm just a brain in a jar." For some reason, it was exquisitely hilarious.

/derail

Pajama Sam! I remember that. That brain always freaked me out. Maybe why this article is bone-chilling as well.

bugbite

Registered
Reaction score
The future is scary.

Last edited: