Trump Administration Launched 'Space Command'

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
With all the statewide news filling my feeds today, I was surprised this announcement made it into view: Donald Trump says he has officially established Space Command in the U.S. military.

Space Command will become the 11th combatant command, joining the ranks of US Central Command, which oversees operations in the Middle East, and US Special Operations Command, which oversees Special Operations Forces.

The command will initially consist of just 287 personnel and its final location has yet to be determined. Its responsibilities will be transferred primarily from US Strategic Command.

More at https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/29/politics/trump-space-command/index.html.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I mean he says lots of and lots things; I think he's pretty much the only one who takes him seriously. Possibly also the cast of Fox & Friends but it's honestly like listening to a four-year-old go on about their day.

...there was a dinosaur at the park but I hit it on the nose and it ran away and then I ate some crackers and the crackers are good why cant we just have crackers all the time I don't want dinner it has peas I want crackers Bobby said his dad can fly planes and he flew one to the moon because he's in the space force and but Jenny. Can I have a cracker? I like crackers. Jenny hit me on the head and I fell down and I told the teacher but she told me to go away and there was a dinosaur I saw it like at the museum there were crackers there we ate them for lunch.

I hear Steve Carrell & Co.'s Space Force sitcom is actually moving right along though.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
And my first thought is still: "Is 'Space Command' going to be live action, or those puppets like Thunderbirds?"

On one level, yeah, I can sort of see why space security is going to be a thing in the future, especially as the world shows every indication of falling back into nationalism and boundary drawing and power grabbing.

On every other level... do I really trust a regime that's barely a step away from Flat Earthers on its understanding of and respect for science and space to establish anything resembling a Space Command that isn't a bunch of stop-motion puppets on a soundstage?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
And my first thought is still: "Is 'Space Command' going to be live action, or those puppets like Thunderbirds?"

On one level, yeah, I can sort of see why space security is going to be a thing in the future, especially as the world shows every indication of falling back into nationalism and boundary drawing and power grabbing.

On every other level... do I really trust a regime that's barely a step away from Flat Earthers on its understanding of and respect for science and space to establish anything resembling a Space Command that isn't a bunch of stop-motion puppets on a soundstage?

There are, as I understand it, a great many legal issues around airspace.What would this "space force" be defending? We can't just claim territory up there.

As much as I'd love to see space flight research get some money, this is a ludicrous venture and has been from the start.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
There are, as I understand it, a great many legal issues around airspace.What would this "space force" be defending? We can't just claim territory up there.

Those are the problems that used be dealt with with stuff like "treaties" and "agreements" and "generally realizing there's plenty enough space up there for us all to throw junk in the sky."

You know, the sort of things that are so much crumpled paper to many of today's chest-thumping regimes.

And if there is indeed a new race to the Moon... well, at one time I would've thought it could've been done without violence (or missle-rattling.) Now... not so sure.

Nations seem to be eyeing space in a rather hungry fashion these days, disregarding that it's still more theory than factual possibility how one would exploit offworld resources (asteroid mining, etc.) In the nearer future, "protecting satellites" would likely be the first mission. And "raining fiery death on one's enemies from space."

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Space is under international law, so says the governing treaty, in effect for the past half century.

It guarantees space be free of weapons of mass destruction and be explored and studied for the benefit of all humanity, basically. I'd bet a lot he neither knows nor cares, but it is U.S. law.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
In the nearer future, "protecting satellites" would likely be the first mission. And "raining fiery death on one's enemies from space."
Yeah, but the guys involved don't really understand science stuff like 'rotation' 'velocity' and 'trajectory'. Any bets on them hitting themselves in the first round?
And thanks to the Canadarm, the world will hear the sound of one 'hand' clapping.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
And thanks to the Canadarm, the world will hear the sound of one 'hand' clapping.

Good thing the Canadarm has a pincer instead of fingers. It could have otherwise shown the middle finger.

-cb

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Space is under international law, so says the governing treaty, in effect for the past half century.

It guarantees space be free of weapons of mass destruction and be explored and studied for the benefit of all humanity, basically. I'd bet a lot he neither knows nor cares, but it is U.S. law.

Well, here's another opportunity for Trump to perform more treaty vandalism.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I heard about the "Space Command" yesterday on TV. No sign of it on Twitter, which I found odd. When I searched the term on Twitter, I found a hideously high number of accounts taking it seriously. The flag, apparently, is generating a lot of excitement. :flag:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I look forward to *rump's proposed "space wall".

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
The hashtag #USSPACECOM is active today.

My reaction: Seeing a real estate shark treat the U.S. military as a security force for what he clearly sees as his interests is sickening. Our nation isn't secure enough from political and cyber assaults for an actual space command. And the aggressive, nationalistic fervor from The Cold War (represented by the flag / logo)? I was grateful in childhood for thinking that had mostly ended!

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
The hashtag #USSPACECOM is active today.

My reaction: Seeing a real estate shark treat the U.S. military as a security force for what he clearly sees as his interests is sickening. Our nation isn't secure enough from political and cyber assaults for an actual space command. And the aggressive, nationalistic fervor from The Cold War (represented by the flag / logo)? I was grateful in childhood for thinking that had mostly ended!

I literally sat here for a good minute wondering what real estate shark you were talking about -- I thought an actual real estate maven was selling land for the space force nonsense or something. Sharks know what they're doing.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
They must have been playing Toy Story in the flight back from the G7.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
I'm not sure how common that phrase is anymore so could have chosen one clearer. From my understanding, "shark" applies, though disrespectful to the actual fish with that name.

My view is that we someone who was raised to deal in the real estate industry who is using the position of POTUS to direct federal funds toward his investment properties and to manage public land as if its commercial property that can be sold off at his convenience. Then there's a claim of space for... well, why not say it's for defense? That stirs up the cheers of his base. Anyway, he might want to later shoot at people who mess with property.

Under a different president and with better relationships with allies, Space Command could look like a reasonable addition to the U.S. military. That's just not what I see in context.

[Note: This post will be edited for clarity when my bored dog stops whining at my side.]

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Under a different president and with better relationships with allies, Space Command could look like a reasonable addition to the U.S. military. That's just not what I see in context.

This is my take, I would have been fine with it under Bush Jr even. But my assumption is it's a hustle and I struggle to take it seriously.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how common that phrase is anymore so could have chosen one clearer. From my understanding, "shark" applies, though disrespectful to the actual fish with that name.

My view is that we someone who was raised to deal in the real estate industry who is using the position of POTUS to direct federal funds toward his investment properties and to manage public land as if its commercial property that can be sold off at his convenience. Then there's a claim of space for... well, why not say it's for defense? That stirs up the cheers of his base. Anyway, he might want to later shoot at people who mess with property.

[Note: This post will be edited for clarity when my bored dog stops whining at my side.]

I'd be horrified if some other president decided we needed a military arm in space. This is just silly and meaningless, imo.

As to the shark thing, it means someone good at real estate to me, hence... not the moron who managed to lose money when inheriting $400 mil worth of NYC real estate, unless we're talking about it taking exceptional skill to be that bad at it.