Do you genre jump?

Lou Trent

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lou-trent.com
I recently had a discussion with a friend about genre jumping when writing and it left me curious about other opinions about the subject. My friend and I talked about two major schools of thought on the subject. The first is that you should stick with what you know and are best at, as it would ensure that your writing is better. The other is that a writer can't grow if they stick to the same thing. Have you any different options about it? Also do you genre jump or do you stick to the same ones? Why do you do that?

I'd really appreciate any comments as that little conversation has ignited my curiosity.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I mostly read SF. I love "space opera" -- Ian M. Banks really does it for me. Vernor Vinge's "A Fire Upon the Deep" is classic space opera that I've re-read many times.

I read fantasy, but less often. Am often disappointed by highly-recommended fantasy works, especially "epic" F.

But oddly, I'm finding it easier to write fantasy. Not sure why that is. I find myself verbally tensing up when I try to write space opera. It comes out stiff. Flat. Voice-free. Maybe I worry subconsciously about measuring myself against my favorite novels while I write? Dunno. It's mighty irritating. :tongue

But write a genre I don't read at all, like mystery or erotica? Nope, can't do it. Wouldn't really know how.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I don't really buy either argument myself. I can see each being true for some individuals, but I don't believe it's generalizable. I think improving in a specific genre can have as much to do with what you read as what you write, but not everybody needs even that much. General reading and writing practice is sufficient.

Personally, I always write spec fic, although in shorts I've wandered a bit into both horror and PNR. As a reader, I read a much wider variety of genres.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I read everything, definitely have my preferred genres but I like to explore.

Writing-wise I go either SFF or comedy, comedy I feel I know how to write (if it good or not, different matter), SFF I am still learning and very, very, very slowly. All my stuff is pretty genre-bendy, and I have litfic pretensions. I tried writing romance recently and suck at it. I wrote some comedy-erotica a while back that got very weird and was mostly about our political landscape. I try to be funny and weird, and can't really describe a lot of what I write.

I constantly feel like I'm wasting my time and going in circles by not sticking to one genre and focusing on it. I'm also proud of myself that I'm willing to experiment constantly, and feel comfortable writing in different tones and exploring varied settings. I think I've learned stuff I wouldn't have if I stuck to one genre. But genre is never rigid enough to me I feel it can define what I'm trying to do, so I can't give either school of thought too much credence.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
I sometimes wish I would stick to two or three similiar genres. That would make story submissions and marketing easier. However, my writing is all over the genre map, because my reading has always been. We write what we know regardless of intentions; and I know a little of Mystery, more about Romance, a worthy amount of Fantasy, a variety of Science Fiction, enough to put a foot into Contemporary (mundane) Lit, etc.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
So far I've written an Urban Fantasy (with plans of a second one) and a Sci-fi. I've been in love with reading contemporary thrillers so I think that would be fun to try someday.

I just don't think I could stay in one genre. Although I'm not published, I don't think I could pick one genre.

So I'm in the hopping category. I just stay in YA though.

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
My main work is "literary" short fiction, and I think I'm getting better at it. But I also have written cozy mysteries without any literary pretense, just the story and the interaction of the characters, and the mystery, of course. Lately I've also been dabbling in some darker stuff too. I use a different pen name for each genre.

As others have said, sticking to one thing may be right for some writers, and good for them. But I read widely, and I think I am able to write widely too.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
The other is that a writer can't grow if they stick to the same thing.

The negative assumptions of this one line are bordering on the absurd.

Following this reasoning: An artist who works in oil paints can't grow unless they try sculpting. A brain surgeon can't grow unless they try a kidney surgery here and there. An architect who designs homes can't grow unless they try designing commercial spaces. A chef who works in French cuisine can't grow unless they try Asian dishes.

Is it possible to get stuck in a rut and stagnate? OF COURSE. But you can do that even if you're genre hopping. Genre hopping and trying new things doesn't mean you're actually good at any of them, let alone a master of each.

But it's not an either/or scenario. You can learn and grow and get better in one genre and never want to try others, because that's where your heart lies. You can learn and grow and get better across several genres, if that's what you want to write. You can also decide something is "not your thing" the instant it gets hard and jump genres without making any improvement, so there's that.

The only WRONG thing is peering down one's nose and making assumptions about the path another writer has chosen. (Kinda like pantser vs plotter - NOBODY'S WRONG!) :)

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really worry about the genre until the piece/work is finished (or at least the first draft). Then it might strike me--hmm, this is M/S/T, or SF/F, or an absolute genre mash-up . . . So, yes, I guess I do genre jump.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I don't genre hop. I have no strong urge to...but mainly, it's an issue of my brand. I've been self-publishing for just over a year. I want people to be able to depend on me for consistently telling a certain type of story as I establish myself: I write romantic comedies with Chinese-Canadian characters. It is possible I would write something else later on (and maybe under another pen name) but not in the near future. Would it help me grow as a writer? Maybe, but I don't think there's anything at all wrong with sticking to one genre or subgenre. And as a business decision, I think this is smartest for me at present.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
In the broadest sense, I don't genre hop, I write science fiction and fantasy, and stick well within those boundaries. But I jump a LOT in terms of sub-genres. My debut is an SF/Fantasy cyberpunk hybrid, I have a book on submission that's a Weird Western/Victorian Fantasy, and my current WIP would be urban/contemporary fantasy. So even when you stick to a genre, there's a lot of places to go even if you don't color outside the lines.

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
It is so incredibly challenging to write a decent book in any genre, not to mention getting it published and then forging a career out of this. I imagine there must be a lot of pressure to follow up any moderately successful novel with something very similar. Certainly can't blame authors for sticking with a particular genre if that's the easiest way to get additional books published.

In my case, so far I've just tried to write stories I'd enjoy reading, which include upmarket and more commercial fiction.

Last edited:

Lou Trent

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lou-trent.com

To be completely honest I think both of those schools of thought are a bit absurd. From what my friend and I found they seem to be the two most common generalisations though and it was interesting to debate them. Our extended debate nearly drove my friends husband mad.

Last edited:

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a mainstream (upmarket?) contemporary right now and planning another three in the same vein, but my first novel was a commercial mystery/thriller. I'd honestly love to improve my skills with MTS as I found it very tough going (the plotting skills required definitely don't come naturally) but extremely rewarding too, and I do have a couple of other ideas, so I hope to revisit that genre again.

I've also got a quarter-written literary contemporary, and another loosely plotted, and my short stories are all literary contemp - it's a style I adore writing but again, it doesn't come naturally and each project is a bit of a slog. I love the challenge of mixing things up; trying on new voices and artistic choices feels very creatively satisfying to me.

Having said that, if I were to somehow sell my current project, and the follow-ups, and magically have some success and find myself on a more defined path, I'd be happier than a pig in poo.

Thurpa

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds mad, but I only learned about genre as an adult. I still don't have all the categories straight in my head and I definitely can't write inside just one. I don't find it intuitive at all.

I seem to have written in just about every genre out there. I like to explore literary styles. I've read just about every genre too. I counted up the other day, I have at least eighteen completed books but none sit neatly inside a genre. Except perhaps my girl's boarding school series that I wrote during my own boarding school days. Or possibly the horse story series that I wrote for my daughter. My current space opera series is mostly inside its genre. Mostly but it jumps outside in the wrong directions.

I've published articles on genealogy and local history without any drama, but the boundaries are very broad there. You can take whatever slant you like as long as it's accurate and hasn't been presented before.

Now that I'd like to publish some of my fiction work, I realise that genre is part of the process so I'm trying to get up to speed with it.

Summary: I can see strong arguments for learning how to write inside one genre. But I genre jump and genre mash all the time.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I write several genres. Romantic suspense and thrillers are my favorite. I will be getting into horror soon (or at least I keep saying that). :tongue

I write in different genres because I write whatever interests me. I write by plots meaning my plots drive my stories. I don't write to trend or write in a certain genre because it's popular or because I'm stuck in my comfort zone. BORING. I come up with an idea and whatever genre it falls into, that's what it will be.

Writing in different genres is great for my muse and keeps me on my toes. I never get bored. Suspense and thrillers, man, they are my absolute favorite!

I don't agree with "stick with what you know". Hello. We're writers. Aren't we supposed to keep growing and expanding our creativity and minds? That's the best part about being a writer. Writing what you know is boring because you know it. How entertaining will an author's books be if he or she just stayed in a box only writing the stuff they know and never stepping out of their little world? Even if you stay in one genre, you need to be growing and doing something different to put your own spin on that genre.

I want to learn things when I write. I like to be exposed to adventures I couldn't get outside the worlds I make up. That's the beauty of writing.

Also, a person who writes in several genres often knows those genres well. You have to know a genre well to write it well so the amount of genres doesn't matter. Someone writing in many genres most likely will know all they need to about each one and on the flip side, some people write in one genre and can't even do that right. It's not about how many it's about the author's dedication to learn.

Stick with what I know? No thanks. Where's the fun in that? :Shrug:

As for being "best at something", I'm best at every single thing I write. :)

Last edited:

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
I genre jump, but only between closely-related genres (science fiction and fantasy). I like to read both, and writing one or the other helps keep it fresh for me. I would have no clue where to even start with, say, historical or romance or mystery, they're just not really my cup of tea, so I don't see myself ever going in that direction. I wrote a non-genre short story once and that's probably it for me on that side. I like my fiction speculative!

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
In my neverending search for comps, I've been looking at a lot of books. And I see a few authors who genre-jump with aplomb. They seem to master strong characters, thriller-level pacing, and minimal world-building--what we'd call Commercial Off The Shelf COTS in military procurement. There's probably some throughlines of unique skill--one had a military spec ops series, a sci fi series with strong mil-fic flavor, and a fantasy series with an action-adventure heroine. So, the ability to write fights and action scenes is important to this author, and she brings it along to various genres. And all are bestsellers.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write stories and books. Whatever genre they fit, they fit.

Jeff

Lou Trent

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lou-trent.com
I seem to have written in just about every genre out there.

I have jumped around all sorts of genres too. I mostly write fantasy though. The only thing I wouldn't write is erotica and that's down to personal preference. I think I like to mix up genres when writing because I love to read most genres. I was talking about my reading habits in front of an acquaintance and he said that he thought it was bad that I wasn't loyal to one genre. He then went on to say that he only ever reads science fiction because he knows he wouldn't like non science fiction books. I asked him how he knew that if he never read other types of books.

I personally think that the best approach is to write the stories that you want to write regardless of genre. I do find it an interesting debate though

Lou Trent

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lou-trent.com
Is it really a debate, though? Some people do, some people don't, no-one minds...

The conversation I had with my friend was a debate so I suppose that's why I used that term. We love to debate with one another about almost anything. One of our favourite things to do when we find we have opposing views is to spend time debating our own view point then switch over and try to debate the positive points of the others point of view. Fortunately our debates have never turned into an argument.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The conversation I had with my friend was a debate so I suppose that's why I used that term. We love to debate with one another about almost anything. One of our favourite things to do when we find we have opposing views is to spend time debating our own view point then switch over and try to debate the positive points of the others point of view. Fortunately our debates have never turned into an argument.
Now that brings back memories...

Samscript

Registered
Reaction score

Following this reasoning: An artist who works in oil paints can't grow unless they try sculpting. A brain surgeon can't grow unless they try a kidney surgery here and there. An architect who designs homes can't grow unless they try designing commercial spaces. A chef who works in French cuisine can't grow unless they try Asian dishes.

Is it possible to get stuck in a rut and stagnate? OF COURSE. But you can do that even if you're genre hopping. Genre hopping and trying new things doesn't mean you're actually good at any of them, let alone a master of each.

But it's not an either/or scenario. You can learn and grow and get better in one genre and never want to try others, because that's where your heart lies. You can learn and grow and get better across several genres, if that's what you want to write. You can also decide something is "not your thing" the instant it gets hard and jump genres without making any improvement, so there's that.

The only WRONG thing is peering down one's nose and making assumptions about the path another writer has chosen. (Kinda like pantser vs plotter - NOBODY'S WRONG!) :)

I have to agree with this. There is something to be said about stretching yourself, but that does not mean you need to spend the next 1000 hours doing it. And does it end at genre? What else is require of us to grow? Novellas, short stories, non fiction, biographies? Writing is an art, maybe we need to paint, sculpt, etc.

The only thing I would agree with is that we should try to read widely across genres. I do think that is beneficial for writers to grow.