The Boys (Amazon Prime)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else watched this yet?

Dark and deliciously fun, a superhero show that makes the the Netflix Marvel characters seem well adjusted. Binged it with my son over the past two days. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
No, and I'm kinda peaced out on superheroes, but Karl Urban using a laser-eyed baby as a weapon is the key that unlocks my heart (so maybe this weekend).

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
To me it feels like a fresh take, and I'm one of those who loves dark. Trigger warnings, though, for anyone considering it, trigger warnings for ALL the things.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I liked it a lot. It is quite dark, gory, deeply cynical, and very unkind to its women (that is probably done on purpose, but at times it's over the top). I enjoyed the performances. Karl Urban and Anthony Starr ("Homelander") are especially brilliant.

Reactions: silverp

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I do think the, ummm, unkind to women is clearly intentional, and I love the way they use the reactions/responses of other characters in addition to character growth to show exactly how not-ok this is. Agree about Karl Urban and Anthony Starr.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
It's a mixed bag for me. I was completely repulsed by several scenes, but the storytelling is so well done that I didn't want to stop watching.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
It's a mixed bag for me. I was completely repulsed by several scenes, but the storytelling is so well done that I didn't want to stop watching.

Yeah, this. It was really well done, but parts of it were too much for me. I'll probably watch the next season, but it'd be nice if they did something with their female characters that didn't involve being killed/thrown over/abused by some guy.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I think it's great. So many WTF moments, yet it all fits together and works. And I agree about Anthony Starr: brilliant. But then, the character of Homelander is also brilliant.

Also, The Deep...lololololololol!

This is without a doubt the best dark superhero tale since Watchmen (which of course now has a series coming to HBO).

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Remind me of Kurt Busiek's Astro City, except instead of mitigated optimism it's rather nasty. Not quite grimdark, but definitely one of those 'people are a-holes' shows. But I'm still watching and it's about to get a lot worse, isn't it?

Even a few years ago I'd've been all over it, right now I'm a little meh but down to continue. Some of the sense of wonder and zaniness that drives superhero stories for me is missing, and I'm not sure the commentary is resonating. But Legion just ended and I'm getting the superhero itch again, we shall see.

...Watchmen (which of course now has a series coming to HBO).

I keep saying I'm not interested in this but I'm kind of lying.

Last edited:

Ashigara

Registered
Reaction score
Season 3 teaser is out. Oh, dear…

I liked The Boys, only watched the series and never read the comics. There is a bleakness in it which speaks to me, saying that almost anyone with powers is going to be some kind of dick to the normal people. It's realistic, since it's my personal belief we don't understand ourselves as well as we do to know how we'd behave once we receive superpowers. Beware the Superman.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Welp, the first episode of season 3 was as gruesome as ever!

It's still good, and I'll keep watching.

Reactions: Introversion

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed this interview / walkthrough of some of season 3 by the cast. Anthony Starr (Homelander) really showing us that all it really takes to disguise Superman is a pair of eyeglasses. 😛

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Binged the first two seasons recently. I was all ready to watch the first episode, disdain it for being a gross, kindergarten-edgy, nihilistic gorno, and bow out. But I got blindsided by how funny the show is around all the carnage. And also how good the main actors are. Especially Anthony Starr, who gives Homelander (who is a one-note monster in the comics FWIH) just the right amount of pathetic humanity to make him kind of horrifically watchable, rather than just repellent. Looking forward to watching this.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And also how good the main actors are. Especially Anthony Starr,
Going into the first season, I was most excited about watching Karl Urban. And Karl's a fine actor and highly enjoyable to watch in The Boys. But while I had no idea who Anthony Starr was before this, Homelander quickly became the reason I watch. He's just mesmerizing as a completely, emotionally broken and duct-taped-back-together, fucked-up, super-powered, utterly pathetic, sociopath.

Reactions: telford

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed the first two seasons and will get around to the five I have so far, in a little while. Hmm, maybe tonight.

Reactions: Introversion

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oof. Episode 6: “Herogasm”. That was a thing.

I did chuckle at the content warning they made before the episode started:
Some scenes may not be suitable for some, really most, let's be honest, all viewers. But rest assured that any consensual relationships depicted, be they human, animal, superhero, or other, aren't real, harmed no one, and in fact cost a hilariously large amount in visual effects.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Just finished the season and all I can say is the writers of this show are amazing assholes. I am in total awe.

Yep, there were some minor storyline flaws this season that may be writing errors or may be editing errors or production choices, but I don't care. The overall package of this show is subversive entertainment at it's finest. And by that I mean most chaotic evil goodness.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Kid and I had a similar reaction after finishing S3: It didn’t give us much of a payoff? Highly entertaining, but not sure all that happened advanced the overall plot much?

Still glad I watched it, because highly entertaining.

Reactions: ElaineA