Impossible Whopper: With fans like these...

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Other Sandwich

Jezebel said:
Maybe Joni Mitchell was right when she sang that you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone, but I didn’t know what was gone until it came back. Since it launched nationally August 8, the Burger King Impossible Whopper, a diabolically engineered veggie burger, has occupied more real estate in my life than the absolutely possible, normal Whopper ever did back in the Dark Ages when I ate red meat. I ate an Impossible Whopper on Monday night. I would like to eat one tonight. And every night. I walked by my editor Alexis’s office yesterday and she was eating one. I had to consciously stop myself from asking her for a bite. What have I become? I know I am some sort of unwell, less because of what regular trips to a fast food restaurant are doing to my body (those effects are as yet unapparent) but because of what the trips (and endless potential for more) have done to my mind. I wish I never met you, Impossible Whopper.

Why do I love this sandwich so much? It roughly shares its circumference with that of a CD. It hits the palate with a plop, like a semisolid something has just been ladled onto my tongue by a person in a hairnet. It’s a true gut punch, an assault on whatever associations you may have with daintiness or refinement in vegetarian eating. This is not a textural experience, but a taste-bud symphony. The earthiness of the vegetables (cut thin enough to allow their consistency to evaporate into the bread-soy leghemoglobin puck-bread design of mush) floats above the heavy flame-grilled burger taste. I go light on pickles, because I find that the amount in the Whopper’s protocol overpowers the sandwich. Each bite is finished with the dairy’s creaminess. I get mine with cheese, and this is the only sandwich whose mayo I don’t just tolerate but adore (it automatically comes with mayo unless you don’t ask for it). The sandwich paints my upper respiratory system with smokiness. I feel it coming out of my nose, like I’m a dragon with obnoxiously picky eating habits, like I’m living for the sandwich to the extent that I’m actually breathing it.

This is the most realistic veggie burger I’ve ever eaten, which is exactly what Burger King and Impossible Foods want me to say. Touché, corporations, touché. I haven’t felt this way about fast food since McDonalds’ bumbling attempts to woo the public on the McVeggie. The chain did it a few times, launching in 1999 and then relaunching in 2004, only to finally discontinue it in 2007. When I could get a McVeggie, which had the taste and texture of an actual hockey puck, I did so at least once a week. I’d get a craving and, boom, I’d be bathed in the golden glow of those arches. The burger was primarily a ketchup venue, anyway, and the novelty of being able to relive my childhood by eating a balanced meal of garbage (and not just French fries) was too strong to resist. It became a habit to break.

Heh heh.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean good, I guess? It does seem to be the hot thing for meat-eaters.

I know no veg* who wants to get near the stuff. It grosses me out and I don't know how I feel, in general, about the whole 'look, it's indistinguishable from meat; what a great idea!' thing. Like, good if people eat less meat, but does making fake meat that's just like actual but more expensive encourage veg*ism?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a conflicted relationship with eating meat.

I love meat. I recognize it's not healthy to eat a lot of it. Not for me, not for the planet.

I also see the POV of people who'd rather we not kill animals. I grew up on farms, where the difference between "pets" and "meat beasts" were clear. We treated both well, right up until we ate the latter.

But I know the little family farm isn't how most meat animals are raised. Those are horrid factory farms, where the poor critters live in abominable conditions. I know that's not going to change -- people want their cheap food more than they care about animal rights. And many people can't afford much meat even if it's cheaply raised.

So I dunno how I feel about veggie burgers, or "vat-grown meat" which is probably going to be a viable thing soon. Is it better to grow a slab of meat in a lab, rather than a living animal you kill to eat? Probably? (I think so.) Do vegetarians feel that way? I guess it depends on why they are veg?

In any case, I just thought that review was snappily written snark. :D

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean good, I guess? It does seem to be the hot thing for meat-eaters.

I know no veg* who wants to get near the stuff. It grosses me out and I don't know how I feel, in general, about the whole 'look, it's indistinguishable from meat; what a great idea!' thing.

Hard same, I have no interest and my even-more-humorlessly-vegetarian GF got sick when she tried it. But they're the current food du jour people will wait in long-ass lines for & take selfies of, so part of me is happy meat alternatives are getting attention. I guess kinda. I guess.

The idea of vat-based meat doesn't bother me and I hope it becomes viable soon. But I doubt I'd eat it if it was.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Growing actual meat I think I'm really not for, especially as there's the plant-based apparently similar.

I don't have a conflicted relationship with meat -- I have a conflicted relationship with the new breed of fake meats, heh.

Am always in favour of people eating something besides meat, but eating something that's basically indistinguishable from meat, while not meat, doesn't feel like it's helping people get that meat is not food (imo, obviously), if that makes sense. It's like if there were fake fur that was perfectly indistinguishable from real. Good there'd be people not wearing real fur, but a proliferation of expensive, indistinguishable fake would, I'd think, maybe make fur continue to be desired, and then if it got cheaper to buy the real stuff... seems better, in an ideal world, to have people just shun fur.

I get it's perhaps not the most logical position, I dunno, honestly. Conflicted.

Hard same, I have no interest and my even-more-humorlessly-vegetarian GF got sick when she tried it. But they're the current food du jour people will wait in long-ass lines for & take selfies of, so part of me is happy meat alternatives are getting attention. I guess kinda. I guess.

The idea of vat-based meat doesn't bother me and I hope it becomes viable soon. But I doubt I'd eat it if it was.

Not to upset her, but is she sure she didn't have actual meat? The BK here wasn't one that was supplied with the Impossible burgers at first, but one app or another (like GrubHub or whatnot), had it in the ordering possibilities, so people ordered it, and the BK just sent their regular meat burgers. That, I admit, would put me off trying it in a restaurant ever -- it's also more expensive than beef, and I can see someone just substituting for cost and not telling.

When the Beyond one was first getting traction, they had a truck parked on the street here giving out sliders. I was walking by and a guy (some ways up from the truck), was asking ppl if they wanted to try a new vegetarian thing, so I stopped -- he led me to the truck. I knew what it was, and in that case didn't have any worry it was actually beef, as it was the co's own food truck, but they held out the thing and it was just repulsive. Couldn't try it, made me feel ill to think about. There were people around all chowing down saying how good they were; I'm fairly certain they weren't veg*.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Guh! But no, I doubt it, this was from one of those fancy places. And I think the reaction was more psychological than anything. (I've eaten real meat by accident in the past and never had a physical reaction to it. Didn't like it, but never got sick).

Growing actual meat I think I'm really not for, especially as there's the plant-based apparently similar.

I don't have a conflicted relationship with meat -- I have a conflicted relationship with the new breed of fake meats, heh.

Am always in favour of people eating something besides meat, but eating something that's basically indistinguishable from meat, while not meat, doesn't feel like it's helping people get that meat is not food (imo, obviously), if that makes sense. It's like if there were fake fur that was perfectly indistinguishable from real. Good there'd be people not wearing real fur, but a proliferation of expensive, indistinguishable fake would, I'd think, maybe make fur continue to be desired, and then if it got cheaper to buy the real stuff... seems better, in an ideal world, to have people just shun fur.

I get it's perhaps not the most logical position, I dunno, honestly. Conflicted.

Nah, makes sense to me.