September 2019 Challenge - Write Every Day!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 22
Nothing, but I might take some notes before bed. I've been lazy today but that's what Sundays are for.

Layla - I'm so glad you and other people are finding this thread so useful. My own progress towards (somewhat) togetherness has also been a slow upwards slope. I'm pretty sure it's the only way to make it stick. Anyway, here's to us keeping moving in a positive direction!

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Pterofan - Good job! Did you reach 1000?
Keithy - Sounds like a good day!
Layla - Everytime I read your posts, a sense of serenity becomes me. I get that feeling you'd get by looking at your avatar :D
April - Haha! I loved The Handmaid's Tale and also (yet differently) loved The Testaments. Margaret Atwood is a genius, truly! It inspired me to write and smash the patriarchy. Simultaneously. Hehe. The TV series is indeed disturbing, but there's something about dystopian stories in this day of age that sparks an eerie kind of familiarity and hope, which makes me a sucker for them.
Cindy - Way to go!

Day 22: 530 words. Started a new story, which I really like in my head, but I don't know how to get it on paper. I think I'll let it simmer inside for a bit before typing it out. Will probably delete half, if not all of it, later anyway.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Pterofan - ooh lasers - better than nets!
Cindy - yay doggies.
PiaSophia - new story! I'm resisting that; I need to finish what I have started.

580 words today, which is somewhere between not enough and goodly amount. Shana has just learned what prostitutes do - she is shocked because they do not exist on her home planet. Then she sees a man wearing a belt and asks where he got it. Why? Because it has her people's writing etched onto it. Next up is her first solo horse ride, which promises to be hilarious.

The wife is getting better and is able to drive again. And go shopping.

keep swimming

Josh Hagen

Registered
Reaction score
Day 21-22:
More and more editing.
I have a question for anyone else who has edited a book. When it comes to editing a manuscript, going from draft one to draft two, do you prefer to do one sweeping edit of one thing in particular (such as character arcs or major plot points)? Or do you also throw in other facets of editing as you come across them?

The reason I'm asking is because my draft one is filling up with red ink. While I've been working on larger edits (my initial plan), I've noticed other things that are in need of fixing here and there. So I make a note of it with my red pen. Then I notice something else that would be a good addition so out comes the red pen again. And so on.

When I get to my second draft, I may have done more than one draft's worth of editing to it.

I believe one reason for it is that I've been enjoying it so much. I am really digging the editing/rewriting process! Who knew?

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
April - ohboy, magic systems - got a long way to go with that myself
Congrats on the 463 and the revisions Cindy
w00t Ptero, 806, way to go!
(((hugs))) Magnus! you're the best, you know!

Pia - I gotta tell you - that lake? There was a group of teenagers going around it in a canoe, one of them had a fishing line, in the warm golden sunlight of the first fall day. Like something out of a picture. The water is *brisk* but not yet to the point of making your skin tingle or taking your breath away. But that sun on the trees, and on the water, and the crickets. And then you get to walk through a woods to get there… It's a big dose of serenity. I go back to the work in my over-growing town (construction everywhere, traffic jams, competitive people…) and that's not real. I do my earning service, work towards taking care of the money stuff, and keep going back out to the woods & the lake. Congrats on your 530 - and I have a story like that - great in my head - but on the paper?

Nice work, Keithy - & glad to hear Mrs. K is on the mend.

Josh when I do my second version I edit as I go. fwiw. "I am really digging the editing/rewriting process!" <-- love this, very encouraging :D

Day 22 (day 22! Is it just me or: 'Where did September go?')

WIP -- 1 page (my MC is riding a sedan chair from her school to meet her cousin. The cousin is a big gossip, and my MC is looking for information. I get to find out more about what my city looks like.)
R/SC -- was going to do some cooking but I had another frustrating surprise… grrr I did some tidying instead. (needed to do it anyway); did a very tiny wee start to a Dreaded Task
BP/$$ -- earning service (I got to pat 17 dogs! a seventeen-dog day!) Some onboarding

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 22

Draft - 488

Revisions - 2 chapters

Polished - 3 lines

Research - boat maintenance after a ride on the ocean.

Pia - WTG on word count and new story!

Ptero - Remember Harry?

Layla - Steady as you go!

I started out early doing scene chart work, but my computer started acting up. I came back later and got all but one chapter done and some draft.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Cindyt: Nice work :) I’d rather have the dog tbh.

Pterofan: 806! Awesome sauce.

Pia: I think I’ll need to give The Testaments a go. Have you read her Maddadam trilogy? Great job writing 530! I think a lot of stories need some marinating before they’re ready to come out the oven.

Keithy: 580 sounds very respectable to me. Glad your wife is continuing to heal.

Josh: Now, it’s been a while since I edited, but I prefer to get the plot nailed down, then I print off and start editing for character (as in dialogue, names, description—not core drives), world and general language. I tend not to worry about the smaller stuff until the bigger stuff is fixed, but I will make notes somewhere of any thoughts I have. I say though that if you’re enjoying your process, don’t mess with it. Everyone writes and edits differently and it’s really important to follow your nose. Even if your process is not the most efficient, it doesn’t matter so long as you’re enjoying it.

Layla: WHERE DID SEPTEMBER GO?! I thought the exact thing when I looked at my Snoopy calendar yesterday. 1 page and 17 dogs sounds like an awesome day! I actually really can’t be sacked nailing down the rules of magic systems, which is a bit of a drawback as I always put magic in my stories.

Fleshed out my draft 5 outline. It’s almost there—just a few chapters I want to work out before I dive back in. I also have to start thinking about the next book in the series so I can drop some hints into book 1. On the downside, my desk chair is broken so I keep sliding down no matter how many times I lift myself back up. I hope it’s not a metaphor.

Day 22: Decent bit; 5 miles; space snooze

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Pia - no, I didn't hit 1000, but I solved my plot problem -- rather, once again a movie on TV solved it for me. The heroes are supposed to break into the vampires' hideout in daylight, then get surprised because the vampires are awake and waiting for them and the heroes get trapped. Somehow. Well, last night, instead of writing that last 200 words, I got watching Iron Man again. This morning, it finally occurred to me a suit of armor would not only protect a vamp from slayer weapons, it would also shield him from sunlight. Maybe it wouldn't stop bullets, but if he's wearing Kevlar underneath that's no longer a problem. Then, if Technovamp weaponizes the armor, he can blast the heroes with electric charges, or maybe those lasers Keithy likes. :) They've already wired the windows for high voltage, so the heroes can't get out. Iron Bat softens the heroes up, and the flock moves in for the kill. That'll work.

The house is a Victorian-style mansion, and the king vampire is at least 500 years old and hails from Europe. Of course he's going to have a suit of armor as part of his decor, and I know just where to put it. Back in Chapter 2 Snake Woman robbed the house; the vampires discovered the theft that night via surveillance footage. The theft, and the armor, are in the library. Snake Woman breaks in, spots the armor by the door, opens the visor to make sure no one's in there, gives it a pat on the ass and returns to furthering the plot. I get a character moment and a plot point set-up. This is one of the few times I'm happy to be a slow writer. It gives ideas time to percolate.

Cindy - Harry Potter or Harrison Ford? What am I not remembering?

Last edited:

PiaSophia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Keithy - 580 is a good word count! Keep going. And, as for the new story, I am in this place where I want to give myself whatever I need to feel worthy and good. There's no place for restrictions or negativity, just go with the flow (and maybe it helps that I didn't have any unfinished stories left, I mean I do, but nothing that I want to pursue anyway).
Josh - I also edit as I go! I think that makes editing a lot more fun, because you don't feel you NEED to finish this or that first before going on to the next bit.
Layla - Ohh, how lovely! Do you know the happy-face emoji with the hearts all around it? That's my face right now. Sounds so great. I need a lake like that in my life. Enjoy every second of it! Also, congrats on the page! And petting 17 dogs, that's delightful!
Cindy - Way to go on the 488!
April - Good progress! And I haven't read the Maddadam trilogy yet. What are your thoughts on it?
Pterofan - It seems like solving the plot problem was very important! Good work. :)

Day 23: I had an amazing writing day today. 2112 words! The highest word count this month so far. I mainly played with my new story, tried to make a basic skeleton and got to know my main character a bit. It was fun, but now I'm tired. Off to read something, spend some quality time with my husband and mentally prepare for work tomorrow.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Layla - I would love to ride in a sedan chair!
Cindy - 488 is good. Hope the boats don't sink.
April - my desk chair is so worn I can feel lumps in the seat. Need a new one.
Pterofan - I'm not a great fan of Vampires but yours sound interesting.
PiaSophia - 2112 is a mighty word count :) well done.

OK my total today is 755 words. Tail end of the tavern scene, Shana gets introduced to her new horse, a bit of riding along the muddy king's road, and after that, they spot a Scout Demon and go hide in the trees. Alas, it saw them, so they'll have to fight it.

Weight loss not going so well this week, gained 2 pounds :(

swimming away here. Hopefully for real tomorrow.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 23

Draft - 287

Revisions - 1 chapter

Polished - 3 scenes

Tweeked - repositioned two scenes

Research - Text sound of a police siren

April - Good luck of draft 5

Keithy - No sinking of these two boats. The cay invader’s water craft is a different matter.

Pia - WTG on 2112!

Ptero - My Harry the wonder dog that I feature in the crime novel.
1%20FIRST%20FLOOR.webp

Did necessary work on a chart.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent work Cindy, with the Four Things :D
April congrats on getting that clarity for the upcoming work!
Ptero, congrats on undoing that knot!
Pia way to knock it out of the park! Congrats on that 2112!
Keithy congrats on that 755 (I'm eating cookies now, though I keep saying I wont. They are the most delicious just before bed

& an extra congrats, Cindy on a splendid day 23 :D

Day 23

WIP -- 1 page
R/SC -- chores & errands; talked to a friend who is going back to school
BP/$$ -- earning service and a bit of the reading assignment.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 23 - 186 words.

Now that I have my end figured out, Brain has decided it doesn't want to work now. I'll tackle the scene again this afternoon.

Cindy - Oh, that Harry. Every book needs a Wonder Dog in it. Dogs are adorable. Speaking of which:

Layla - You lucky girl. 17 puppies to pet!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Cindy - say hello to Harry from me. Is he in the Dog Star Patrol? What's his superpower?
Layla - I keep neglecting you. So well done for your relentless WIP work.
Pterofan - 186 is progress. Can't complain at that.

Today's total is 759 words for Demon Hunter. Shana and co get attacked by a Scout Demon. It's sort of a black floaty shape changing thing, darting around and clawing and biting. Grog Ella and Shana each contribute something towards defeating it. As far as Demons go, it's not that much. Next scene: the fat merchant.

I had yet another idea for a superhero story: Angel.

I had a go at changing my wife's dressing on her "rear end". The nurse was impressed. We are going to visit my mother in England on Thursday. God's holy hell above, I need a break.

:) keep at that sailing swimming and trucking...

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Ptero, you & Brain will work it out ;) & congrats on that 186
Keithy - sometimes I feel like a wind-up writer - bum in chair, words on paper… Congrats on your 759!

Day 24

WIP -- a page & a little bit
R/SC -- got coffee with a friend I haven't seen for a while
BP/$$ -- earning service and a bit of the reading assignment

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 24

Draft - 1561

Revisions - 1 scene

Polished - 2 scenes

Ptero - I agree. Dogs and cats are everything.

Keithy - Harry has the ability to jump tall invaders in a single bound and tear their throats out.

Layla - Thanks and extra thanks. You did good yourself!

I started a brand new chapter.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
PiaSophia: I really loved it; definitely my favourite MA work. Wow, 2112 is awesome!

Keithy: Nice work. If you find a new desk chair that isn’t hellishly uncomfortable, do let me know. Err … enjoy your visit?!

That dog, Cindy, that dog …

Layla: Woo 2 and a bit pages!

Pterofan: If I’m pantsing I get that too. Like, I have to actively try not to think too far ahead cos if I do my brain stops working. But then when I plan a novel my brain likes to know what’s coming …

I was a bit too keen to get into Draft 5 so I’m taking the rest of the month to keep planning characters and world and to get down a rough sketch of the next book’s plot. I’ve gotta figure out a whole load of history and religion and people’s general beliefs about stuff. Fun fun.

Day 24: Wee bit; 7 miles; 50% gamer

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 24 - 299 words of some unrelated flash fiction

Day 25 - back to the book. A page and a quarter longhand, 400-500 words if I'm lucky. Our Heroes have just entered the vampires' lair and realized they've walked into a trap. I didn't know they were going to find dead bodies strewn in the hallway until Mr. Selleck opened the door. ("Vamps had a goddamn kegger," snarls Snake Woman.) The bodies were meant as a distraction to lure Our Heroes further into the house, away from the front door and the staircase, where the vampire in armor is waiting to block their escape. None of this was part of the plot until I started writing. It's been established Rowling is a plotter, but I can't imagine how Stephen King pantsed his way through a seven-book series. And those were long, detailed books. I guess that's why he's Stephen King and most of the rest of us aren't.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 25!
Don't worry I didn't disappear. I think if I just settle on reporting when I feel like it I'll stick with it better, as opposed to the pressure of reporting every day. I've been taking notes a couple of days, tranferring and arranging them (somewhat). I've a big mess of a Scrivener file now (still working on how to organise things so they don't confuse me). But today I wrote a bunch of scenes. Not great ones, but there's a lot of material to trim down and sharpen up. So it feels very good. This story is for an open call and the submission window ends October 11th, so I gotta keep the steam up -- and I really can't miss this one because there's a really good story here, though I've a lot of digging left to do to unearth it.

It looks like people are chugging along. Remember to enjoy the ride. :)

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
April - I love worldbuilding! I did a whole load of it a few weeks ago along with maps. Great fun.
Pterofan - I've done "single scene" flash fiction before. It's a lot different from a novel (no worldbuilding)
Magnus - sending you good wishes for your Scrivener file.

I did 401 words today. Too much medical stuff and packing for our trip. A lot of that 401 was recycled from the previous version. It's the beginning of the fat merchant scene. He sells metal goods, and has a very important piece. Oh, and he needs a name apart from Fat Boring Merchant.

I'll be back next Monday.

keep on at it... swimming or sailing.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent day of 3 Cindy :)
That is the fun fun April, enjoy that immersion :)
Ptero, great days 24, and 25!
Magnus, sounds like a great day, keep em coming!
Keithy, I bet your merchant is not boring - & congrats on the 401

Day 25

WIP -- just a wee bit over 1 page :)
R/SC -- wee groceries & cooking, got my coffee & lunch ready for tomorrow morning
BP/$$ -- earning service

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 25

Draft - 42

Novel Charts - Updated

Blog - Planned 1st draft of article, titled either The Red Lipstick Caper or Red Lipstick and ex-lax.

Tweeked - What amounted to a paragraph on the crime novel.

April - I enjoy character and world building too. Good luck!

Layla - WTG!

I don’t know if it was the last two ounces of deli turkey sandwich meat or the freshly opened bag of shredded lettuce, but I got sick and had to time my writing session out. I'm better now and hope to jump back into the game later.

Last edited:

PiaSophia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Day 26
Haven't been writing anything for the past 2 days. Had to work two crazy 12-hour shifts yesterday and the day before, and I feel burnt out completely. I'm considering what to do with this job, as it's taking up so much of myself and my energy that I'm getting to a point of feeling extremely uncomfortable and vulnerable all the time.

Have the night off tonight, so I hope to get some writing done anyway :)

April - thanks for the recommendation! I'll make sure to check it out!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 26 - not quite half a page this morning, so I'm guessing at between 100-200 words

I just had my vampire in armor appear, then got stuck over what his weapon is. Thinking it over, the vampires had only 24 hours to whip up defensive armor, so unless Tech Vamp already had laser or electroshock equipment sitting around on his worktable, it's unlikely they'd come up with it in so short a time. The guy's good, but he's no Tony Stark. I've already had my vampires use Tasers, though, so throwing an electric charge may not be out of the question. I was going to go with flame throwers--some of the robots on Battlebots come equipped with some nifty, nasty fire-spitters--until I remembered they're indoors, in close confines in a Victorian home that's at least 100 years old. He's liable to burn down the house before he burns Our Heroes. Electroshock it is. Oh, and the other vampires? This being Texas, some of their victims (the bodies in the hall) may have been carrying, so a couple vampires have guns now.

My book has vampires and shapeshifters in it and I'm worried about scientific plausibility. Writing is funny that way.

Keithy - why not name your merchant Efbiem? (FBM = Fat Boring Merchant) You can use it as a place holder (and giggle inducer) until you come up with a real name.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes Cindy, I hope that bad feeling passed quickly - & congrats on what you got done :D
Oh, Pia - that is the worst feeling - when your livelyhood brings more discomfort than it spares you. (((hugs))) and just keep taking the next right steps, meditate on it… Something will find you. (12 hour shifts are … really really long…)
Lol - Ptero - I hear you about the logical contradictions we see - where others completely don't! Keep at it!

Day 26

WIP -- 1 1/4 pages :D

R/SC -- big cooking* - took 3 hours, but now I have the 'heart' of about 10 lunches *(Savory pancakes - chickpeas with browned shallots & shredded zucinni and carrots);flossed before going to bed :D!
BP/$$ -- reading assignment, earning service; Wrote more of the 'script' for the workshop I'm thinking of doing.