September 2019 Challenge - Write Every Day!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 14

Work Session - I set the bones for my next article.

Research - Biscayne Bay Blvd in Miami. I just needed a bit of a description. Found a virtual drive down on Youtube. Woot! The only thing better would be one with closed captioned. But I’m thankful for what I’ve got.

April - Wow! Another awesome word count!

PostHuman - A dump file is where I stick all the scenes I delete from ongoing manuscripts. Some I restore, some I hope to use in other works.

Layla - Congrats on the one page!

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
sandree: Marination is good. I find a reading binge between drafts can be really helpful.

Pterofan: Hope those words unstick soon.

Josh: Well, you tried!

Layla: There was a really creepy Christmas John Lewis ad in recent years where there was an old guy on the moon spying on folk. (If you don’t know, the John Lewis Christmas ad is, oddly, a Thing.) Yay 1 page!

PostHuman: Ha! Thanks :) You fair kicked his bum too with 2.2k!

Cindyt: I also love Google Earth for checking out locations (though it also kinda freaks me out).

Wrote 1909, finishing Chapter 12. It’s very malnourished and will need lots of fattening later on, but the bones are there. I’ve got a bit of story planned and then I’ll need to think my way through the final act. I know the very end, but there’s a fuzzy bit before then.

Day 14: Decent bit; 2 miles; no beer here

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
You guys are all so nice, honestly! Thanks for all the support. Reading how you all are going steady makes me very happy!

I am enjoying my birthday weekend these 2 days. The sun is out and I feel like the most important and loved woman in the world. Will get back to writing as of tomorrow, I think. Soaking in all the birthday happiness now :)

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 15 - dashed off something last night before bed, can't remember the word count now. I know it was over 100. It was a flash scene about someone who keeps procrastinating. Write what you know...

Today I'm coming to you live from the Exton Library in Chester County because I drove down Philadelphia way. Nothing but traffic and road work. Good thing I had water in the card. Next time I'll just go to a bookstore. :tongue

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Sandree - don't worry, it'll come.
Posthuman - ooh, anything above 2000 is worthy of admiration!
April - you always work so hard. But no beer? :(
Pterofan - :)

Yesterday (Saturday) - nothing.
Today - 1893 words in two scenes. no 1 - Shana goes into the "valuables room" and hears about some interesting tidbits. no 2 - Shana is invited to tag along with Grog and Ella. Ella blows her top; Grog makes her apologize.

Tomorrow - another boat trip across the lagoon, not Shana's favourite.

non-writing: I know I did something but can't remember.

keep on swimming or sailing :)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the 481 and on the 2206 Post!
Sounds like a good day Cindy :)
Nice work April!
Piaaa - that sounds like a great day!
Ptero, LOL - congrats on writing something :D
Keithy, congrats on the 1893 & hope you had a good skip day :D
CIndy, oh no! hang in there

Day 15

WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - dip in the lake.
BP/$$ - earning service, reading assignment

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
PiaSophia: Happy belated birthday! Glad you had a lovely weekend.

Pterofan: Ha!

Keithy: Tremendous effort! Your story sounds like so much fun.

Ah, Cindyt, hope you feel better soon. Sometimes a good snooze can do wonders.

Layla: Nice work. Enjoy that lake :)

Was pretty ill yesterday. Had originally planned to write all day but had to bail with 1257 in the bank. Och well. I’m pretty confident I’ll still finish this draft by the end of the month.

Day 15: Decent bit; nae miles; Divinity mega-sesh

PiaSophia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Pterofan - Good job!
Keithy - Congrats on the 1893! Your word count keeps impressing me.
Cindy - Glad you're feeling a little better, take care of yourself!
Layla - Thank you, it sure was! Good work on the 1/2 page!
April - Thank you! Feel better soon! 1257 is a great word count, especially on a day you're not feeling well.

Day 15: although I said I wasn't going to write, I ended up writing anyway. 395 words.
Day 16: 279 words! I am now off to reread the English version of my book for the last time before sending it off to the printer's. Only 1,5 month left to go before it comes out. Aaah!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
C - really glad to hear you're feeling better
April, hope you feel better soon & congrats on breaking 1K even under the weather.
Pia excellent work on your days 15 & 16 :)
Ptero, congrats on that 200!

Day 16

WIP - 1 page
R/SC - got some epsom salts on the way home from my new job & soooooaked
BP/$$ - earning service - new gig. what doesn't kill you makes you stronger - but before that happens you feel really sore.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Drive by

I combined chapters 3 & 4 together and cut away the fat. Then I realised it sucked because the hero (Shana) was doing something quite un-heroic. So I'll tone that down a lot and bring on the Warrior Demon sooner than planned so she can rescue the farmers.

:)

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
PiaSophia: Ah, that's so exciting!

Thank you, Pterofan :) Awesome sauce hitting 200.

Layla: Woohoo for a page! I've never tried epsom salts--do they really make a difference?

Sounds like a solid plan, Keithy.

Was exhausted yesterday so took a day off from drafting and did a bit of planning instead. I've got my final chapters more or less planned out so (fingers crossed) it should be relatively plain sailing from here on in. Famous last words ...

Day 16: Wee bit; 0.5 miles; suspected vampire

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 16

Draft - 149

Research - Picked a friend’s brain about our life in Southern Pines, NC, back in the early 60s. She was an invaluable resource for my next article, Throw Her Tomorrow.

April - I like Google Instant Street View. It will sometimes take you off road. I “stood” right on a concrete lip above Charleston Bay in South Carolina one time. It even let me enter a historical house. You bailed pretty well. Hope you are all better now. I think I got ahold of some bad Chinese food yesterday, because I ate the leftovers today and got sick again.

Pia - Happy Birthday! Hope you had a good one! And here’s hoping the new book does very well.

Ptero - That a pretty good word count on the nose.

Layla - WTG on the one page!

I worked on my crime novel’s scene chart and created a website page with directions on how to get from Miami International Airport to my fictional island, Flaming Island. I won’t use most of it, but I want the route in my head.

Last edited:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 16 - 56 words. Yikes. Looks like my highway high wore off. However ...

Day 17 - 465 words this morning, on the laptop. Makes up for yesterday.

As for that pesky love scene, all the emotional crap's out of the way now and they can finally get down to it. I get to picture Tom Selleck naked. Don't tell his wife.

PiaSophia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Pterofan - You're doing great! One surely has to balance things out, right?
Layla - Way to go! And congrats on the new job! Is it something you're happy with doing?
Keithy - Good progress!
April - Sure is exciting! Good luck on the famous last words...
Cindy - Thank you! Had a great birthday. I like all the extra work you're doing! It's so great that everything is so detailed inside your own head. I like that.

Day 17: I'm in the middle of working another 13-hour shift (it's almost 11pm here) and there's two ladies about to give birth. Obviously I'm not doing anything work-related but found a few minutes to check up on the forum. I penned down 164 words today.

Josh Hagen

Registered
Reaction score
Day 17:

Sorry for not checking in - busy with work. But I have been working when I can on my manuscript. Still working on larger edits.
The strange thing is, as I edit my book, I seem to learn more about it. There are things that perhaps I wasn't consciously trying to put down on paper (symbolism, foreshadowing, etc.), but I've been finding nice little nuggets hidden in there. And as I find them, I can't help but start to examine this character or that scene more and am looking deeper. I don't know if that all makes sense. Basically things are still rough and I'm working on sharpening the picture.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Keithy, sounds like a good days work (& fwiw - sometimes it's interesting to see a hero do un-heroic things. As long as it's not boring things ;)
April - hope that was a renewing day off
Cindy, congrats on that 149 and the interesting research
Ptero, congrats on the 56+465! & she'll never know
Pia, yes, I'm fairly happy with it. Right now I'm doing 40 hrs in 5 days, but I'll be able to do four 10-hour days, which will be great. Congrats on the 164!
Good to see you Josh. That sounds like some rewarding revision :)

Day 17

WIP - 1 page
R/SC - one tiny chore. Even though I wanted to bail
BP/$$ - earning service - a little less exhausting today. Bit of my reading assignment.

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
Pia - grats on finishing the English version, good luck with your release!! :partyguy:
Ptero - good job keeping up the writing every day! perhaps now you can answer the age old question of whether Tom Selleck's mustache has achieved sentience
Layla - grats on the new gig and knocking out a page! in ancient Rome they might have paid you in salt and saved a trip to the store
Keithy - them pesky Warrior Demons always takin' our crops
April - I believe there is a way to confirm your diagnosis :tongue
Josh - keep at it, don't give up and good luck with edit
Cindyt - sounds like a fun project!

Day 15 - 1021
Day 16 - 1054
Day 17 - 1043

Last edited:

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 17

Draft - 1112

Revisions - 2 scenes. ALSO. Right at the end of my writing session, I was taken aback by a hole big enough to pilot a space shuttle through that ended up not being a hole at all. Uh, duh.

Research - Guadalajara, more brain-picking with my friend.

Josh - I’ve learned so much about my story too, especially my characters.

Human - It has been fun. Great word counts!

Pia - That’s a great word count on a 13-hour shift.

Layla - Another 1 page!

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Cindyt: Awesome word count! Urgh, bad takeaway food is the worst. I feel mostly better, thanks. (Unfortunately it’ll all hit again in about 23 days :rolleyes:.)

Pterofan: Ha, glad you’re getting down to the good stuff :p

PiaSophia: Nice work. Hope those babies popped out okay!

Josh: Isn’t the subconscious mind a clever beast?

Layla: 1 page! Awesome work.

PostHuman: Back away with that stake, k? :p Good for you hitting 1k three days on the trot!

I somehow managed to write 2339 yesterday even though I honestly have little memory of it (probably cos I wrote most of it in a haze at 5 in the morning). My ending wasn’t as planned as I thought so I had to spend a bit more time thinking it through. This draft needs so much work but for the first time in years I’m nearly sitting with a draft I want to improve, rather than throw away and start over. YAY.

Day 17: Decent bit; 3 miles; misht-ye Bake Off

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
No writing so far today; I wanted to get the paid work done and out of the house (accomplished).

Even though I wrote a tidy bit yesterday, I found Raiders of the Lost Ark on TV last night, and because it's the spiritual godfather of my story, I got out the notebook and wrote an additional 180-odd words with the movie as background. That's why it had to be snakes. I'll get today's word count in later this afternoon.

Post - can't speak for the 'stache, but I'm pretty sure William Shatner's hairpiece has evolved into a higher life form since at least the late '90s.

Keithy - those Warrior Demons better stay off my lawn

PiaSophia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Josh - That's one of the best things about editing. I first dreaded to read and reread my work until I found these little "nuggets", as you so nicely called them, hidden inside them. Now that I know they're there, I am so anxious for other people to find them! You're doing great, keep on going!
Layla - That's great, I'm happy for you :) (and kudos on not bailing on the chore, that requires some serious willpower there)
PostHuman - Thank you! Congrats on the amazing word count.
Cindy - Sounds like a productive day! Congrats.
April - Haha, they did. All of 'em healthy and happy. Congrats on the word count! Do you find your work different when you're writing it in a haze?
Pterofan - That sounds really nice, way to go!

Day 18: Working again. 209 words. Spent almost all of my afternoon on the phone with different agencies and companies about stupid stuff that I'd postponed so long I had to do it all at once and it was dreading. Managed almost all of it, though. And now back to work!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 18
I'm back. Been taking notes and stuff this week but not reporting in. I'm slowly getting scenes together but it's tough work. Needed to lay some more groundwork first. But I'm slowly improving my method, and that feels good. I think I need to practice on more short stories before I start tackling the novel(s) again.