September 2019 Challenge - Write Every Day!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 26

Drive by

Layla - WTG on the 1 1/4 page! I think it was a bug. I slept most of the night and most of today. I'm just now feeling a micro perky again.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Pterofan: In the notes in the updated version of The Gunslinger he says he didn’t really go back and revise until he’d finished Roland’s story, which implies he had a rough draft for the whole series before polishing book 1. I may be reading it wrong though.

Magnus: Glad to hear you’re making good progress :)

Keithy: Yeah I love it when I give myself the space to do it properly. I also prefer to build between drafts rather than during.

Layla: Yay, great job! Does this mean you cold-brew? I can’t take strong caffeine anymore and I recently switched back to instant. My god … if 2012 me could see me now. There’s actually something oddly comforting with instant. It tastes old school—and it goes great with a dark chocolate digestive :) Oh, I’m stealing that pancake recipe! Do you whap them in the freezer?

Cindyt: Ooo I love a chart. What kind of charts do you use? Sorry you’re feeling ropey again—you’ve had a bad run of late.

Pia: Your job does sound incredibly stressful. I’m in awe of everyone who works in health care. Feeling vulnerable isn’t good … Sending a big virtual hug (and the whole pack of cookies this time).

World-building and character work continues. I’ve got down the broad strokes, now I need to specifically map out the history of the continent and figure out the details of a couple of organised religions. Oh, and I still need to pin down how my magic works. Originally I was putting all this stuff into a Scrivener file, but then I switched back to paper. Dunno what it is about world-building but I prefer to use coloured pens and lots of squiggly lines. Need to buy some dividers so the organised part of my brain doesn’t have a melt down.

Day 26: Wee bit; 6 miles; Here Lies The Abyss

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Sort of a drive by. That could change after dinner. Brain and I had a chat once I realized this is just a draft and doesn't have to be perfect, so I can do whatever I need to to get through the scene and finish the book, because it's only going sit for weeks and then get reworked anyway. So the holdup is just me procrastinating again. This isn't even the first book. It's book 3. There are two other books I haven't written yet that go before this one, so once it's done I won't have to worry about it for a while.

I just got an assignment, so I can use that as my excuse for at least a week.

April - re: Stephen King: that sounds about right. I'm pretty much doing the same thing, rough-drafting the first couple of books before I even think about contacting the publisher, just in case my pantser brain has an idea for Book 5 that would totally contradict Books 1-4. That, and because I write really, really slowly in a genre (e-book romance) where readers expect a new book at least once a month, if not faster.

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Thank you, guys :Hug2:

I ended up writing 1.053 words yesterday, and 2.626 words today! I am proud of myself.
And by writing all this down I finished a rough outline of my new story. I don't know if I'll keep everything I've written down (probably not), but I'm pretty pleased with what I have so far.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Cindy LOL - 'micro perky'
April, it's stove-top espresso. I have two ancient little pots, I get about a thimble-full of some strong stuff from each & that's my AM jolt. I've set figuring out my magic aside for a time. Have fun with the squigglies and colors!
Glad to hear you and Brain are working things out Ptero :D
Hi Cobalt! Nice work:)
Pia - wow - way to go! Keep it coming!

Day 27

WIP -- approaching 1 1/2 pages. I did it in two sessions. My work start time is shifting earlier, and I only managed ~3/4 page in the morning.
R/Sc - paid a bill
BP/$$ -- earning service

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 27

Draft - 179

Revisions - Bits and pieces

April - Sounds like you’re having fun world-building. Chart: chapter number, date & time, clues, serial call, questions to mull and detect, media stuff like songs played, radio broadcasts, TV shows, Newspaper headlines, and miscellaneous info.

Layla - WTG on 1½ pages!

Last edited:

PiaSophia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Layla - way to go on the 1 1/2 page! Writing anything before work is something I wouldn't be able to do!
Cindy - well done!

Day 28 2.510 words today. I started this new WIP and I'm already feeling this won't work. Don't know if it's my inner critic or if this is actually nonsense I'm writing. I have a full idea in my head and I need to build the story up before getting to the good part. But the building up is dreading and I don't like what I'm reading. Maybe I'll consider making it a short story instead, or just leaving it for a while. Not sure yet.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Nice work Cindy - hoping you're feeling better :)
Wow Pia, great work!

Day 28

WIP -- 1 1/4 page
R/SC -- bit o' tidying & laundry
BP/$$ -- earning service

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 28

Draft - 975

Revisions - 3 scenes

Research - Retractable Windows, outdoor kitchens, covers of House & Garden magazine, 1985 brand of blue jeans--I chose Hilfiger. Signs a man is cheating on his wife.

Pia - You did really good today! WTG :snoopy:

Layla - Another 1¼ page! I am feeling better.

Worked on my chart & wrote a whole new scene, which revealed two clues

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Nice work, Cobalt!

Cindyt: Your detailed chart gives me thrills. I really am like Monica Gellar ... Awesome sauce writing a new scene!

Layla: Sounds like you're on a roll! Have you found a way through the sticky patch you encountered a wee while back?

Pia: Wow, those are lots of words! It's really hard to know if it's the critic or if you're writing the wrong story ... Making it a short sounds like a good plan because then at least you'll write all the way to the end. I find having a complete story makes it easier to judge what's going wrong and why.

World-building continues. I'm starting Draft 5 on Tuesday so this is my last chance to get down details before what will be a pretty busy October. I still need to figure out a timeline and calendar, and a couple more bits about some characters. All this stuff has been really fun though!

Day 28: Wee bit; 6 miles; lost in suburbia

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Days 27 and 28 - forget to check my word count before leaving the house. I'm pretty sure I was in the 150-300 word range both days. Just call it 200+.

Now that I have a paid assignment, looks like the book won't be done this month. I'll try again in October. But I'm a lot closer to the end than I was when the month started. I'm giving myself a banana. :banana:

PiaSophia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Layla - Good work! :)
Cindy - Way to go on 975 words! That's a good word count!
April - You're going steady! I made up my mind and will make it into a short story. I could always make it longer if I want to. And besides, short stories are my forte anyway.
Pterofan - Good job! You've earned that banana.

Day 29 I don't know exactly how many word's I've written today, but I did finish another short story I was working on. I think I may have written about 150-200 words. Today was all about editing, going back and forth with my aunt/editor about the story, and about reading books. A good Sunday.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 29

Draft - 301

Blog - Began the next article, tentatively titled The Little Middle

Revisions - Bits and pieces of crime novel.

Research - Posed questions to You Know You’re From Buford If…

April - Good luck!

Pia - Congrats on your good Sunday!

I worked a bit on the crime novel and updated my chart. Got a late start on my article, but it went well.

PiaSophia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Cindy - congrats!

Day 30 - the last day of September, what! I can't believe this month flew by so quickly. Today I wrote 544 words.
Looking back on this month, I can say I'm satisfied with my work. I finished one short story, I have a story in my head which needs a lot of work, but will work on that next month. Have written for my blog, brainstormed a lot and have written almost every day, which was my goal. :)

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 29 - 327 words

Looks like the book's going to get done in October. Maybe. Guess I'll be signing on for another month.

I've started reading Rainbow Rowell's Wayward Son, the sequel to her Harry Potter homage Carry On, which was a spinoff from her novel Fangirl. Glad to see I'm not the only one stricken with sequelitis. So far I'm enjoying it. It's funny and a fine, smooth read. She makes it look so easy.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Cindy, a good 5 day :)
Pia - congrats on finishing! and on the 544
Congrats on the 327, Ptero

Day 30

WIP - 1 page
R/SC - got my wake-up coffee and my work lunch ready & did some chores as soon as I got home
BP/$$ - earning service, 10-hour day.

& oh hey, tomorrow it October!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 30

Draft - 764

Revisions - 4 scenes

Research - Computer guts. Secret compartments in a car. I found one that I adapted: Press a brace in the floor of the trunk a compartment opens up.

Pia - Nice word count!

Layla - WTG on 1 page!