Amazon Paperback Qs

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Since I last published, CreateSpace has given way to KDP paperbacks and I've got a couple of questions I can't find answers to. If anybody has personal experience with this, that would be great.

First, I know that, like CS, you can't setup preoders for KDP paperbacks. That's fine, but does anyone know if you can set a release date for the paperback or are you stuck with whenever it goes up after upload? I'd like to have both formats available at the same time, but I know you couldn't do that with CS.

Second, and somewhat related, does the paperback have to be published in order to get author copies?

In a perfect world I'd like to set the release dates for both formats in early October, but have a supply of paperbacks on hand for the WV Book Festival the first weekend of that month. I fear I may have to upload the paperback and make it live well before that to have those on hand.

Thanks!

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I -think- you can set a release date for KDP Print, but I'm too lazy to edit my setup to check. Regarding the second question, yes, your book has to be published in order to get author copies, since Amazon treats them as discounted product sales.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
prior to publishing you get marked proof copies not suitable to sale. You could published and then unpublish and put the release date at the top of the sales copy.

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Just to be clear, are we talking KDP Print, or Createspace? I am aware that Createspace did offer proof copies.

I was talking about KDP Print. I can report that they do sell both proof copies and author copies (those just come through like a regular Amazon order).

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I was talking about KDP Print. I can report that they do sell both proof copies and author copies (those just come through like a regular Amazon order).

Interesting.

Actually proof copies from KDP print are irrelevant to me. I've already vetted out everything in the ebook form prior to reformatting and submitting the print copy. I do however have use for author copies. I like to leave them at libraries, friends, etc... it's fairly cheap and persistent marketing.