Amazon Expanded Distribution, OPINIONS?

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I need to learn more about this - but signing up for it will increase the price I'm currently selling my book for by about a dollar.

Supposedly, using this features puts it on distribution lists so libraries and bookstores can get them - and Amazon is starting to open brick and mortar stores.

Has anyone tried this? If so, opinions / experiences appreciated.

ETA: I forgot to add a link to the Amazon page explaining it.
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/GQTT4W3T5AYK7L45

Last edited:

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
The Tattered Cover Book Store in Colorado sells indie books. I wonder if that's a good option. Here are their general requirements:

Basic Requirements

• Your book must have the author name and title on the spine
  • Your book must have an ISBN
  • It must be no older than three months
  • You must live in the state of Colorado

What Now?
If your book meets every basic requirement above, you may qualify for placement in our program. We review every book that we consider before making our decision, and look for the following in newly self-published books:

• Grammar mistakes and typos should be minimal if not completely absent
  • Cover design must be marketable and well thought out
  • Page layout must be clear and professional
  • Illustrations and photos must be well placed, and clearly reproduced on the page
  • We will be taking content and the quality of writing into consideration
  • Agree to pay $50.00 consignment fee
  • Agree to retail split of 40/60%

https://www.tatteredcover.com/local-authors

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Marissa . . . I used Amazon's version of expanded distribution for some books, but have since opted out for others. I'm now using Ingram Spark for expanded distribution. AFAIK, none of my books have found their way into brick & mortar libraries with either distribution program.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I also use Ingram Spark because bookstores in my area refused to carry books by Amazon. (One of my books put out by a publisher was printed via Amazon, and even though I had no say in or control over that, local stores wouldn't carry it, not even on consignment.) This isn't to say that will happen to you, but...

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I do paperbacks too and do expanded distribution but these are POD books so they aren't going to end up in stores. Maybe libraries but I figure that's a stretch but in stores the books have to be returnable. Also, many stores don't want to carry Amazon's books because of Amazon's wannabe monopoly of the industry and how the company steps over everyone. I HATE Amazon because of how they've treated...well damn near everyone. If I didn't have to sell my books on there, I wouldn't. But I'm an author-publisher and they're the devil you gotta sleep with in this industry. If I was a bookstore I wouldn't carry their books either out of principle. Not the way Amazon has pushed everyone around. They have physical stores now, they can sell their books there.

I've started using Draft2Digital for my paperbacks.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I need to learn more about this - but signing up for it will increase the price I'm currently selling my book for by about a dollar.

Supposedly, using this features puts it on distribution lists so libraries and bookstores can get them - and Amazon is starting to open brick and mortar stores.

Has anyone tried this? If so, opinions / experiences appreciated.

ETA: I forgot to add a link to the Amazon page explaining it.

Bookshops and libraries can buy in just about anything. Your book doesn't need to be part of this scheme for that to happen.

However, bookshops and libraries only really order in books they know about, which they have a good chance of selling, and which they can buy in on the terms they can afford. Sadly, this expanded distribution isn't going to help them with any of those points, so it's not really much of a selling point.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
This is a useful thread. My friend the librarian wants a copy for the 'local authors' shelf. I thought I might need to go with expanded distribution to get there but this thread sounds like I don't. Correct? I have an LOCC number.

Do additional markets (Canada, Europe, AU, and everyone else) come into play with expanded distribution? My twitter tribe is global and many climate folks are not USians.

Can people in other countries order my book if I don't have expanded distribution?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Libraries have different policies about where they are "allowed" to order from.

I use expended distribution but one downside is that online vendors can use it to undercut you own Amazon listing and sometimes become the primary supplier for Amazon sales. This leaves you getting the reduced royalty for those sales.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I want to start strong. If I don't select ED the minimum price I can list for the novel is something like 8 or 9 dollars. If i do select ED the minimum cost jumps to 14-15 dollar range.

(I will have an e-book and KDP select, too).

Will I start stronger with expanded distribution for the print and listing at the higher price, or without ED (which I could add later) and the lower price? I imagine fiddling with things in a month or two either way.

I want to start strong. Page views, purchases, and so on.

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
This is a useful thread. My friend the librarian wants a copy for the 'local authors' shelf. I thought I might need to go with expanded distribution to get there but this thread sounds like I don't. Correct? I have an LOCC number.

Do additional markets (Canada, Europe, AU, and everyone else) come into play with expanded distribution? My twitter tribe is global and many climate folks are not USians.

Can people in other countries order my book if I don't have expanded distribution?

Patty, I'm in Canada and Amazon recently announced a printing facility in Canada, which we've been begging CreateSpace to do for ages. This means Canadians can order your book and not pay hefty shipping and brokerage fees. I disabled Expanded Dist. on all my books for the reason Veinglory mentioned. I got tired of being undercut by third party sellers on my own book for which I would earn .27. My print books are available in 7 international markets and I can set my prices for each currency. For me, Exp Dist was not worth it.

You can order author copies of your book for distribution to your library, book events and local places to sell. As others have said Ingram Spark will distribute to bookstores if you want to go that route as well.