• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How do you come up with pen names?

kyliesmiley16

Registered
Reaction score
I, for one, had always looked forward to the day where I would see my name in print. I still do. However, Kylie O'Brien already has 7 books on GoodReads/Amazon and Kylie O'Brien Hall has a further 3. A search for K. O'Brien will bring up a best selling Kevin O'Brien, and I feel I can't have two initals coupled with O'Brien, otherwise it would sound like too many letters - K.A.O'Brien.

So I turned to pen names, but I've only come up with two I like. Kye Spreckley, which is very unique, personal and unisex (I was named after a Kie, it has connections to my favourite fandom & Spreckley is my grandmother's maiden name). BUT I'm not sure it fits the crime/thriller genre. For this reason, I'm thinking I'll hold onto it for the future. And K.A. Winters - because many consider winter cold, dark and depressing (but for me, it's my favourite season and it makes me so happy :D). But there's also a K.B. Winters on Amazon with lots of books, so I don't know if that would also cause an issue! If I was using initals, I'd still like to keep my own...

But otherwise I've been at a loss trying to come up with anything else... Looking up other authors in youre genre? Yes... but that's just telling me which famous names to avoid as opposed to how to come up with my own unique one. I see people turn to middle names, family names, pets, street names... but I've got no other names in those areas I'd want to use - too boring/old-fashioned/weird/foreign. So where else do people turn to for inspiration? What's your process of brainstorming & elimination? Generators? I've tried them too! A mix of your favourite things and grabbing a letter from each? xD I think I might be on the right track for winter, but I looked up 150 winter inspired names and nothing stuck! I'm soo picky when it comes to names, and I guess even more so when it's going to be referring to me.

And yes, I know it's not important yet until I have a finished manuscript, but as someone looking to self-publish and build up a following and domain/usernames, I like to be prepared. Plus, doing stuff related to my writing is a definite motivator to actually write!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember that a pen name, and you can have several for any number of reasons, is about branding. It should be considered as carefully as cover art, etc. I have a common real name, which I've published under, that is as forgettable as any. I've not yet published under a pen name, but I plan to when the time comes.

The one I hope to use for children's stories is a nicknamey first name with a folksy plain last name that will hopefully make a unique and memorable combo. The idea is to have a friendly grandfatherly image associated with fun tales. I haven't thought of a good one for the non-kids fic though.

Look in your genre, though. What makes a memorable name for you? Do initals stick out? Or an unusual spelling of a more common name? Look for patterns that fit the industry standard.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I was going to create a pen name but then noticed that all of my pens were already named Bic.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I like K.A. Winters and it sounds crime/thrillery to me.

I just picked a name I liked. It's worked out fine so far. :)

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I don’t plan to use a pen name, so take this for what it’s worth, but: Can you approach it the way you approach naming your characters? I give a lot of thought to character names. I name them in tribute to other people; I name them after characters in other books; I give them names with symbolic heft; I give them names that sound like them. What if your crime/thriller-writing persona were a character in one of your novels—how would you name him or her?

:e2coffee:

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
I use a pen name for my published fiction for two reasons: one is that my actual name is always mispronounced and misspelled, and two, because I want to keep my private life private. It's not that I have hordes of fans stalking me. Rather, there are a few people (who have no business) who would presume to give me "advice" if they knew I wrote fiction.

I actually use three pen names since I write in different genres. One of them is a variation on my first name and a literal statement of my lineage (think Anderson = son of Andrew). The other is actually the name of one of my characters, who is a closeted writer, so I've given a fictional character a "real" life.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Finding my pen name was harder than finding a name for my CHILD.

I wish I was kidding.

I ended up sorting through close to 100 names (no exaggeration), because once I'd think of a name I liked, I'd google it. And every flipping one of them had written books, I swear. Then I found a name I liked, no books on Amazon... and I googled it and a person with the same name was a teacher in prison for molesting students, so that was a definite NO.

I did eventually find one I like, but holy cow was it a process!

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
I use a pen name, which is actually just my two first names put together. As stated above, I choose to use a pen name because I want to keep my private life private. And because I don't want to risk my family having to account for me when they are confronted with my (dark) stories.

KDIvanov

Registered
Reaction score
K.A. Winters sounds good to me.

I attended a writing workshop at a local university fresh out of high school and submitted a short story for critique under the name K.D. Kilker (I wasn't married yet). When the author leading the discussion turned to me and said something like "So, K.D...." I cringed. I didn't like being called K.D., so I asked that they just call me Kristen.

I've come across other authors with initialed names who use display names on social media to get around this, ex. "Victoria / V.E. Schwab."

For non-initialed names, I would suggest standing in front of a mirror and calling yourself that name out loud to see how it makes you feel.

My married name is Inman, but years down the road, I don't want the other parents to whisper about googling my name and finding a crappy book. Nothing too bad, but I wanted a little anonymity. I chose a surname from my mother's side that I always found cool. And if it's a family name, I think it will always feel, just a little, like it already belongs to you.

One time, long ago, I was told that middle name + street/city you were born in/raised on was a great way to find your stripper name. If I ever go straight-up romance, I will likely write under Danielle Davenport.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
One time, long ago, I was told that middle name + street/city you were born in/raised on was a great way to find your stripper name. If I ever go straight-up romance, I will likely write under Danielle Davenport.

That trick doesn’t work so well for me — Miriam East 18th Street :D

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
That trick doesn’t work so well for me — Miriam East 18th Street :D
I believe the secret is in the editing: 'Miriam of the East' suggests haremwear and bangles.
I heard the same formula for stripper names in high school, 40ish years ago. I hope actual strippers have found a better way of finding professional names by now.

There's a variation involving cat names and streets, and at least, in my case, Kitty, Muffin or Smokey sound a little more evocative than 'Ann'.
Street name? sigh Damhill. So called, because it ran up past the hydro-dam.

kyliesmiley16

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, well it seems a lot of people like K.A. Winters, so perhaps I won't need to think further than that! :D K.B. Winters is a romance author and K.A. Winter writes in Danish, so hopefully I should be safe from confusion there...

I don’t plan to use a pen name, so take this for what it’s worth, but: Can you approach it the way you approach naming your characters? I give a lot of thought to character names. I name them in tribute to other people; I name them after characters in other books; I give them names with symbolic heft; I give them names that sound like them. What if your crime/thriller-writing persona were a character in one of your novels—how would you name him or her?

:e2coffee:

I'm similar. I will spend hours searching baby names & meanings, name them after people I know, or characters in TVs/movies or the actors that play them. Then again sometimes I also just toss one of my favourite movies into IMDB and search the cast list for something that stands out under the entire production cast. But I wanted my author name to be something more personal, rather than just a name I like. So perhaps my next step would be to do a baby names definition search for something meaningful :)

I actually use three pen names since I write in different genres. One of them is a variation on my first name and a literal statement of my lineage (think Anderson = son of Andrew). The other is actually the name of one of my characters, who is a closeted writer, so I've given a fictional character a "real" life.

How do you keep track of all three on websites and social media? Do you have the one go-to or separate for each? And if just the one, how do you pick which one?

Finding my pen name was harder than finding a name for my CHILD.

I don't have kids yet, but I dread the day of finding (and then deciding!) proper baby names! :Shrug:I don't envy you!

I attended a writing workshop at a local university fresh out of high school and submitted a short story for critique under the name K.D. Kilker (I wasn't married yet). When the author leading the discussion turned to me and said something like "So, K.D...." I cringed. I didn't like being called K.D., so I asked that they just call me Kristen.

I've come across other authors with initialed names who use display names on social media to get around this, ex. "Victoria / V.E. Schwab."

This is actually an excellent piece of advice :) I wouldn't want to be called K.A. in person, so will definitely be putting the full name with initals on social media :)

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I use my real name, so I'm not much help. Just make sure you pick something you'll actually respond to at conferences!

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
For quite a while I had a blog about motorcycle riding - and Indian motorcycles. It's been long enough that I don't recall why I decided to write under a pseudonym... but I did. It was Indy Rhodes, a play on Indian Roads (Indian motorcycle, and you know, riding on roads) and the name of my website. These days I write under my real name.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Choose a pen name you can, maybe one day, register a domain under (if you want an author Web site). Make sure it is not taken.

Ichabod

Registered
Reaction score
I would think beyond the book release for a pen name. I used a female name as my book was about the struggles of a woman. The problem was I was invited to a book signing at a local library and had to decline. I couldn't see how to disguise myself from an old fart to a middle age woman. I pulled the book back and rewrote it under my initials making it gender neutral. I have written other books under a pen name. But that was to hide from the content as they were just practice to the process.

BPhillipYork

Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BPhillipYork.com
I think Kye Spreckley sounds kind of cool, especially if your mystery is convoluted. It could be many nationalities and as you said it's unisex. It's very ambiguity makes you wonder if the stories will have that same quality.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

It's also quite a good way of finding out the sort of info used as security questions in online banking etc

JDSparrow

Registered
Reaction score
I personally go about it by looking into three things. 1/ Names I like, be it traditional or not. 2/Names present within my story, be it of people, places or etc. 3/Words that I like the association or/and story behind. For example J.D.Sparrow is a mix between a certain name from astrology that I find great, a filler middle name of a name from my 13 year old story and Sparrow because of a certain story behind it regarding sailor tattoos that I have encountered and have ever since stuck with me. I have jumped from name to name for years, and to find the one which I can always stay behind is amazing. Though I get possessive over it. :Shrug:

Now I just can't wait to publish under it so I can make it mine and mine alone! :snoopy: