Hi There, Everybody!

JosieK

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

My name's Josie, and I wanted to go ahead and introduce myself to the Absolute Write community.

I've been writing fiction for a very long time - my dad claims I "wrote" a picture book back before I knew how to write (I apparently SWORE to him that I'd remember what the squiggles meant). I love writing, and it's become one of my favorite pastimes - and now I'm trying to make a career out of it!

I currently live in the Midwest, but I'm originally from New England. I write primarily Adult Sci Fi and Fantasy, because I adore the process of building a world and populating it with characters, but I dabble in most genres if the mood strikes me. As a member of the queer community, I also try to incorporate LGBTQ+ characters into all or most of my work. I don't consider my writing to be in the "Queer Fiction" genre - the characters are queer, but I want more than anything to help normalize the queer experience by placing characters in stories that allow for, but do not rely on, their queerness.

I read like I write - SFF has my heart, but I'll read anything that's good, especially if it's queer. I'd also be happy to do some beta reading - fantasy would be where I was most comfy for that, but I'm happy to help with anything that includes queer characters!!

Besides writing (though, really, BECAUSE of my love of writing), I'm very in to DnD, and enjoy both playing and DM'ing. I also love MTG and am trying to re-learn my teenage guitar playing skills.

I'm very excited to participate in the Absolute Write community and make friends with some other awesome writers! I look forward to meeting you all :eek:

Nadinarte

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome! °˖ ✧◝(○ ヮ ○)◜✧˖ °
I am guessing you might enjoy the Russel T. Davies series of Doctor Who, from your taste description, possibly Torchwood? We actually have a Janto shrine-wall (a gay character from the series) in Cardiff. Another series you might like from Russel T. is a recent one called "years and years" (very enjoyable gay romance there, pretty heartbreaking but beautiful (ఠ్ఠ ˓̭ ఠ్ఠ))
So yeah! It's funny because I'm working on a side project with a gay romance, maybe you'll be the one willing to read it ahah
Anyway, welcome! The community here is very supportive, I'm sure you'll like it. ╰( ・ ᗜ ・ )╯

Nadia

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Josh Hagen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Josie from another midwesterner! I look forward to hearing more about your writing. And you're a DnD player as well! :Thumbs:

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

My name's Josie, and I wanted to go ahead and introduce myself to the Absolute Write community.

I've been writing fiction for a very long time - my dad claims I "wrote" a picture book back before I knew how to write (I apparently SWORE to him that I'd remember what the squiggles meant). I love writing, and it's become one of my favorite pastimes - and now I'm trying to make a career out of it!

I currently live in the Midwest, but I'm originally from New England. I write primarily Adult Sci Fi and Fantasy, because I adore the process of building a world and populating it with characters, but I dabble in most genres if the mood strikes me. As a member of the queer community, I also try to incorporate LGBTQ+ characters into all or most of my work. I don't consider my writing to be in the "Queer Fiction" genre - the characters are queer, but I want more than anything to help normalize the queer experience by placing characters in stories that allow for, but do not rely on, their queerness.

I read like I write - SFF has my heart, but I'll read anything that's good, especially if it's queer. I'd also be happy to do some beta reading - fantasy would be where I was most comfy for that, but I'm happy to help with anything that includes queer characters!!

Besides writing (though, really, BECAUSE of my love of writing), I'm very in to DnD, and enjoy both playing and DM'ing. I also love MTG and am trying to re-learn my teenage guitar playing skills.

I'm very excited to participate in the Absolute Write community and make friends with some other awesome writers! I look forward to meeting you all :eek:

Go Patriots. :welcome: to the forum.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Welcome to AW! :welcome: It's good to have you here.
There's a lot more queerness in fantasy these days, and publishers are realising there is a real market out there for it, so I hope your writing finds a good home.

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I've been playing TTRPGs for a year or so now, and the BF wants me to start DMing.

JosieK

Registered
Reaction score
I do love that era of Doctor Who!! Tennant is hands down my favorite Doctor. I never got into Torchwood but I've heard good things about years and years, I'll have to check it out!

I'm always interested in reading gay romances tbh ;) Thank you for the warm welcome!!

JosieK

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I've been playing TTRPGs for a year or so now, and the BF wants me to start DMing.

Thank you!! And you totally should - I was hesitant to DM for a long time but I LOVE it, it's such a good writing-focused pastime AND a great way to work out those story/character ideas that you just couldn't make fit into an actual coherent story :D

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to AW! :welcome: It's good to have you here.
There's a lot more queerness in fantasy these days, and publishers are realising there is a real market out there for it, so I hope your writing finds a good home.

Thank you!! I've noticed that too, I'm really loving it. I hope it does too :Thumbs:

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Josie from another midwesterner! I look forward to hearing more about your writing. And you're a DnD player as well! :Thumbs:

Hello and thank you!!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Josie. I like your intro and profile.

I also moved west from the far east (Montana) a dozen years back--long enough visiting family said I lost my mountain twang, but I don't talk as fast as the rest of Oregunners, where research says the fastest talkers in the US live. :greenie

I'm currently editing a third YA novel about shapeshifters, which includes LGBTQ+ characters.

You'll meet lots of like-minded writers here. :greenie

storywriter24

Registered
Reaction score
hi nice to meet u

- - - Updated - - -

hi chase nice to meet u?

storywriter24

Registered
Reaction score
hi josie i have a best freind named jodi its nice to meet u all

UchronianSteve

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, Josie, and welcome to Absolute Write. I'm more of a Sci-Fi than fantasy fan, but I have enjoyed stuff like LoTR, Harry Potter, etc. in the past.....btw, do you have any published works?

BPhillipYork

Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BPhillipYork.com
Hi!

Hi Josie. Sounds like you were quite the writer from a young age. I had a somewhat similar, but also dissimilar experience, when I was 8 I was in a cult school, and one of the things they had us do (1st grade) was write a short "book" I was reading Sherlock Holmes at the time so I wanted to write a Sherlock Holmes mystery, which I sort of did, but I didn't really understand how to have clues and show Sherlock noticing something and making a deduction, so when I needed to end the story I just had him receive a phone call which told him how to catch the murderer. Not super great, but for an 8-year-old I think actually pretty good, it had a beginning, middle and end at least.