Quote Originally Posted by LeviSweeney View Post
Hello, everyone!

I'm glad for all the helpful advice everyone has offered so far! I sincerely thank you all.

Now, a new question has come into my mind, stemming from a little bit of reading I've done in the area of Greek mythology. I know a little about it, having adored pouring over this one book as a kid, and am now getting reacquainted with the subject. Reading a little bit of Bulfinch's Mythology, I can't help but shake my head about how familiar it all seems.

So, that puts this thought into my mind: Is Greek mythology too overused as a source of inspiration for writing fantasy? Have too many authors drawn from that particular well?

Now, this may not be the case at all. I may in fact be quite mistaken. Indeed, I'm sure there are plenty of stories tucked away in the bowels of Bulfinch's Mythology and other sources of information on the subject to completely put the lie to the assumption behind my question, ignorant as that question may be.

But all the same, I'd like to address this idle inquiry to you good fellows: Would you advise going directly to Greek mythology for inspiration? If yes, then what would be some good ways to avoid comparisons to similar works which do the same?

I ask these questions not having a lack of imagination, but merely to see what my fellow writers have to say about the matter.
It's probably much easier to write something unique if you use one of the mythologies that isn't as well known. The Greeks have been done a lot, as "what if they were real" and "a sci-fi version" so your readers are more educated about them, though many of the lesser-known heroes and Gods. But if you use the Greeks you're competing with big names and well-known properties. Ditto for the Norse gods. But if you chose a less explored mythology in some ways the myths themselves would be mysterious, and that might give you a lot of license.