How to part ways with my literary agent without hurting my future chances

PerchanceToDream

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all.
About five years ago I signed with a reputable literary agent for a manuscript. He sent it out but ultimately there were no takers in the great world of New York publishing. It was disappointing, but I see now that it was for the best. He asked me if I wanted to revise and I decided I was going to put that away and work on something else.
I'm nearing completion on my new project and realized a long time ago that I need new representation this time around. My former agent is well respected and was professional with me, but I was very young and green, to be honest, signed with them because they were the only ones who offered at that time. We weren't a good match for many reasons and every instinct in me says that we aren't a good fit and I need someone else. I'm not the same person or writer. My mind is made up on that front.

My issue is that I haven't heard or spoken to this person in almost six years and I don't know quite how to approach this. I don't want to "break up" by e-mail or a registered letter, because all the websites say that's unprofessional, but at the same time this person hasn't reached out to me in all this time (ditto on my end) so it seems like it would be really really awkward to just call and say "this isn't working, all the best". I also know that NYC agents talk, and I don't want to hurt my chances with other agents who might think I'm being a flake and not to be trusted. Trust me, I've come to this decision after years of thought.

If I call, I feel like the agent might try to convince me we could work on it, but I'm definitely not going to stay his client. There's nothing to be gained from laying out the issues I have because they aren't small details but big picture things. At the same time, when I'm querying for the new manuscript I want to be upfront and say I was represented before, but I wonder how many agents would think twice about working with me if they knew I up and fired an agent without at least trying to work it out.

I would be really grateful for any advice on how to approach this.

Thanks.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I don't want to "break up" by e-mail or a registered letter, because all the websites say that's unprofessional

Which web sites are these?

You haven't spoken to this person in six years. If it were me, I'd write a polite and professional email and follow it up with a registered letter, but you should check your contract to see if it stipulates details.

Authors and agents part ways all the time. Nobody's going to hold it against you.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&]

If it were me, I'd write a polite and professional email and follow it up with a registered letter, but you should check your contract to see if it stipulates details.

Yep. But do check your contract.

PerchanceToDream

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy response!

https://www.janefriedman.com/switching-literary-agents-two-agents-offer-advice/

I was looking at this interview with two agents earlier. Both of them state a variation of that.

"JC: No agent is better than a bad agent, or an agent who isn’t helping you grow your career. But my first piece of advice would be to talk to your agent. If there’s a conflict or a concern, let your agent know you need to have a conversation. Express your concerns exhaustively, but with the understanding that you might not have the whole picture. Give your agent a chance to respond and address the issues—how they respond will tell you everything you need to know about whether they’re worth sticking with.
There are many agents out there, and I think most all of us are more than happy to work with an author who’s been previously represented. You just don’t want to blow up a good thing—or a fixable thing—without first communicating your needs, expectations, and concerns (if any). This goes for the author and agent both.
HR: I would always recommend that an author who is on the fence about their current situation reach out to their current agent to let them know they’re not happy and need a little help righting the relationship. Agents can easily assume that if you’re quiet, you’re just off writing, when in fact you’re freaking out. And you’re a writer, so you are very highly skilled at creating fictional dialogues, which will often be much scarier and more dramatic than the actual conversation will be! (A huge plus on the page; a minus IRL.) So it’s always better to have that discussion for real with your agent, not with your own inner critic."

My issue again is that this isn't about resolving anything. I think he's a great agent for his clients and would be a great match for others, but I need to strike out with someone else.

Dmbeucler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmbeucler.blogspot.com
I will second Lizmonster. An email is fine. Keep it brief, keep it professional, and no bridges will be burned. (And if they take it badly, that's on the agent unless you wrote something along the lines "fork off loser I'm outie" which doesn't sound at all like where you are coming from. ;-) )

I will caution, if you have an agency agreement, check that out before you email them. There might already be a procedure in place for how to sever the ties, but if you haven't sold anything with them it should be easy to disentangle from them.

Best of luck with your new project and agent hunt!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
"JC: No agent is better than a bad agent, or an agent who isn’t helping you grow your career. But my first piece of advice would be to talk to your agent. If there’s a conflict or a concern, let your agent know you need to have a conversation. Express your concerns exhaustively, but with the understanding that you might not have the whole picture. Give your agent a chance to respond and address the issues—how they respond will tell you everything you need to know about whether they’re worth sticking with.
There are many agents out there, and I think most all of us are more than happy to work with an author who’s been previously represented. You just don’t want to blow up a good thing—or a fixable thing—without first communicating your needs, expectations, and concerns (if any). This goes for the author and agent both.
HR: I would always recommend that an author who is on the fence about their current situation reach out to their current agent to let them know they’re not happy and need a little help righting the relationship. Agents can easily assume that if you’re quiet, you’re just off writing, when in fact you’re freaking out. And you’re a writer, so you are very highly skilled at creating fictional dialogues, which will often be much scarier and more dramatic than the actual conversation will be! (A huge plus on the page; a minus IRL.) So it’s always better to have that discussion for real with your agent, not with your own inner critic."

This is fine advice. But:

1) You've already made up your mind, and

2) Six years, dude. Six years. No agent is going to leave you alone for six years and then get shirty when you say "so long and thanks for all the fish."

I don't honestly know how much agents talk to each other (I suspect it depends on their professional circles), but to me this seems like a classic case of drifting apart. It's a thing that happens, and there doesn't have to be any fault involved.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I had to fire my first agent and while it was hard, it is doable. You make a phone call and it's over.

After six years of bupkis, I would be surprised if he even remembers your name. Not to put you down, but if he ain't working for you, then he ain't making either of you money, so buh-bye.

If you have a contract with him, check to see if there is a termination clause of some sort.

Yes or no, get a short letter from him that your agreement for representation is terminated.

Then go on a fresh agent hunt. Find writers with books similar to your own and see who reps for them. They'll usually mention it on their websites. Then follow submission guidelines.

Agents do not trade gossip about clients they no longer have. Trust me on this. It is especially true concerning clients who never placed a book. They have other things to talk about and besides, it's not professional. Only you broke into their offices, got nekked on their desk, and belted a chorus of "Springtime for Hitler" then yes, they will share that one. Otherwise, just move forward.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Believe me, authors and agents sever ties by email, in both directions. The advice in that interview makes sense in a situation where you worry that you and the agent are drifting apart but you’re not sure. If you have doubts, of course it’s better to talk first. But if you have good reason to be sure about this (for instance, the agent doesn’t represent the genre you’re now writing, or doesn’t have a process that works for you), then just do whatever the contract says you need to do to terminate.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of bullsh*t is this? Never heard of an agent who just doesn't give a crap enough to be professional and let you go if that's what he wants.

Look, seeing how you both went six years without communicating signals that whatever relationship you guys have is done. If an agent is still interested in representing you they're not going to sit around years and not check in on you. This person hasn't asked about any projects or what you've been doing? For all he knows you could've stopped writing or god forbid passed away! How can he not check in on a client in all this time? Inexcusable.

First, check your contract as others have said. You might have a termination clause about bad communication in there that already frees you. After that, the professional thing is to just email or send a letter like others say because it's best to have these things in writing. You mentioned call but hell he might not have the same number it's been so long. Do you even know where this man is currently? Is he at the same agency he was before?

Me, I probably wouldn't even waste my time contacting him because if the man hasn't talked to me in six years then it seems like he couldn't care less what's going on with me. He could've least contacted you for closure so you can be done with it.

Maybe he felt the last time you spoke was the end of the relationship. That might be it. Maybe it wasn't spelled out clearly but when he couldn't sell the book it meant it was over. Actions speak louder than words and looks like he moved on from this a LONG time ago.

Really, I doubt this man even remembers who you are. Good riddance. No one needs an agent like this.

Six years? :Huh:

Last edited:

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
My issue again is that this isn't about resolving anything. I think he's a great agent for his clients and would be a great match for others, but I need to strike out with someone else.

But the people you quoted ARE talking about how to resolve agent-author issues. Their advice isn't applicable in your case.

My agent asked me to 'break up' with her at one agency as she was moving to another (I'm not sure if that's standard as there were unusual circumstances). She asked me to do it via email, as that is normal and expected. If this man even considers himself your agent at this point - which I think is unlikely after no contact in six years - he really isn't going to object to you taking the normal and expected route of ending your contract.

If it helps, this is the wording I used:

I'm giving 30 days notice of the termination of our agreement as per Clause 10 of my contract. I'd be grateful if you could acknowledge receipt of this email.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm giving 30 days notice of the termination of our agreement as per Clause 10 of my contract. I'd be grateful if you could acknowledge receipt of this email.

Yeah, the contract should rule here. My agent ditched me via email, but the contract specified certified letter so I sent one, return receipt requested. I've got the receipt from the post office filed with the original contract.

Even after six years, it pays to dot your legal is. It makes things unambiguous for both of you.

PerchanceToDream

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to sincerely thank everyone for all your advice. I sent an e-mail this morning and feel positively giddy. I know some people said to call first, but the more I thought about it, the angrier I got. In six whole years, I didn't get one e-mail or call or anything. Not a "Hey how's the project coming. How are you doing? Are you still breathing?" etc. etc. I didn't need anyone to hold my hand, but even in a business relationship you expect something in six years. So I gave him exactly the same courtesy, or even more courtesy, than he gave to me. I'm angrier at myself for not doing it sooner, but the whole dynamic is so fraught with fear and anxiety on the part of a "new" and unsold writer and you sit there and wonder if you'll ever get another agent or if it's all your fault for expecting too much.

If he is actually pissed that after six years of deafening silence from his end I ended things by e-mail, than that's on him, as someone said. If he decides to trash me to the whole agenting community for it, then that's that. But for the first time in six years I feel like it's not me waiting on the other end for crumbs and scraps. I feel like I have agency, pardon the pun.

I was brief but polite. If I don't get a receipt of e-mail I'll send a certified letter or I may just do that anyway.

I'm excited for my new project and to do it all over again, this time hopefully somewhat wiser.

You guys are superstars!

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Hello all.
About five years ago I signed with a reputable literary agent for a manuscript. He sent it out but ultimately there were no takers in the great world of New York publishing. It was disappointing, but I see now that it was for the best. He asked me if I wanted to revise and I decided I was going to put that away and work on something else.
I'm nearing completion on my new project and realized a long time ago that I need new representation this time around. My former agent is well respected and was professional with me, but I was very young and green, to be honest, signed with them because they were the only ones who offered at that time. We weren't a good match for many reasons and every instinct in me says that we aren't a good fit and I need someone else. I'm not the same person or writer. My mind is made up on that front.

My issue is that I haven't heard or spoken to this person in almost six years and I don't know quite how to approach this. I don't want to "break up" by e-mail or a registered letter, because all the websites say that's unprofessional, but at the same time this person hasn't reached out to me in all this time (ditto on my end) so it seems like it would be really really awkward to just call and say "this isn't working, all the best". I also know that NYC agents talk, and I don't want to hurt my chances with other agents who might think I'm being a flake and not to be trusted. Trust me, I've come to this decision after years of thought.

If I call, I feel like the agent might try to convince me we could work on it, but I'm definitely not going to stay his client. There's nothing to be gained from laying out the issues I have because they aren't small details but big picture things. At the same time, when I'm querying for the new manuscript I want to be upfront and say I was represented before, but I wonder how many agents would think twice about working with me if they knew I up and fired an agent without at least trying to work it out.

I would be really grateful for any advice on how to approach this.

Thanks.

Speaking as a former agent, I think you're fine as along as you let the agent know one way or another that you're seeking other representation. If you were close personally, I'd say you need to call or meet. But as your relationship stands, email was made for stuff like this.

That's assuming you're positive you want to leave. It's a lot easier to leave an agent than to find a new one, unless you're a bestselling author. I was an agent for 14 years, and I've had three agents during my writing career. One thing I've learned, seeing that world from both sides, is that both sides need to be frank. If the agent has come to the end of the line in submissions, she needs to say so, even though the writer is bound to disagree and to mourn. If the writer feels her work isn't being properly managed, there needs to be a conversation. After that, if you need to move on, you can do so with a clear head.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
...If he decides to trash me to the whole agenting community for it, then that's that. But for the first time in six years I feel like it's not me waiting on the other end for crumbs and scraps.

He really won't be trashing you. It's VERY common for authors and agents to end their relationship and, after six years, he really won't be angry about it. I promise.

I think you should try not to be angry, either. Writing is a very personal thing and that isn't bad, but it does mean we sometimes forget that the author/agent relationship is business. The relationship is intended to generate income on both sides. Yours didn't (nor do many) and while nobody quite wanted to get all formal and legally end the contract, noboby behaved badly, either. Your agent didn't do anything wrong and it won't help you to be mad about the whole thing!