2020 Hugo Awards--CoNZealand in Wellington, New Zealand

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I kept putting off getting my supporting membership for NZ for monies and then suddenly I was too late so no voting for me this year :( I haven't read anything new lately, so I didn't nominate, and I was going to make up for it by voting in as many categories as I could. Well, now I can't fail to do that!

EDIT: So despite when trying to get a membership, it went none available, making me think it was too late, it still sent the sign up link and I have now, I think, got one. So maybe this will be my year for voting!

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
YEAH! I am so glad you can vote!

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
CoNZealand has decided to run Worldcon 2020 virtually. This probably will not affect the voting phase of the Hugo Awards, which were going to be run on line and via the mail anyway.

Here's the announcement.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen at least one Best Novel finalist and a book in one of the Best Series finalists on sale. This isn't unusual, I've seen it in past years. But you may want to check and see if you can pick any of them up inexpensively to read before the packet comes out.

It's often the case that the rights holder will give Worldcon the entire work for the packet. But every year there are at least some rights holders who give them generous samples instead of the entire work.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
The Hugo voting packet is now available. There should be an e-mail in your in box with instructions.

Or go here and put in your e-mail address. You should see the link called "Hugo Packet" to the left after you've logged in.

Only current Supporting or Attending members of CoNZealand have access to the packet. And it will go away when voting closes.

Voting isn't open yet, but you can start reading!

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I've downloaded the Hugo Award voting packet.

IT IS VERY LARGE. IT TAKES A LONG TIME. One of the files (in BDP-Short) is an entire Dr. Who episode that's 4.7GB. Each Best Graphic Story finalist is in it's own ZIP file.

I highly recommend starting your downloads ASAP.

There are also several works available through Net Galley. You'll want to set up a Net Galley account and, if you have a Kindle, give them your Kindle e-mail address. (Also, when you click the Kindle download button it may not seem as if it's working but it is. Don't click again until you've searched for the title in Docs in Manage Content and Devices. Otherwise you can download many times. Many, many times. Learn from my mistakes.)

The Packet will go poof when voting closes. You cannot download anything after that time. Do it now, while there's still time.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
The Hugo Award voting deadline has been extended.

Hugo voting extension: We are very sorry for the delay in opening online Hugo Voting. We are working as fast as we can to make that available, and anticipate it being open no later than Wednesday, 8 July, hopefully before. Due to the delay we are extending the voting deadline to Wednesday, 22 July 2020 at 23:59 PDT (UTC-7)/Thursday, 23 July 2020 at 18:59 NZST (UTC+12).

In the meantime, a fillable and printable PDF of the paper ballot is available so that you can keep track of your rankings and can enter them online as soon as the online voting option becomes available. You may also vote by mail. The US postal address for mailing ballots is listed on the ballot, and the deadline change also applies to the printed ballot.

Due to the global postal slowdown, we will also be accepting ballots by email to [email protected]. In either case, ballots must be RECEIVED by 22 July 2020 at 23:59 PDT (UTC-7)/23 July 2020 at 18:59 NZST (UTC+12) to be counted. But at this point we strongly encourage people to wait for the online voting system to open rather than send a paper or email ballot.

https://conzealand.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/2020-Hugo-Ballot-fillable.pdf

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Hugo voting is finally open! I have made some preliminary votes and it works for me.

The deadline is Wednesday 22 July 2020 at 23:59 PDT (UTC-7)/Thursday, 23 July 2020 at 18:59 NZST (UTC+12). Members can access their ballots via https://members.conzealand.nz logging in & clicking on “My Memberships”. Questions and concerns about how to vote or accessing the ballot should be directed to [email protected].

After the deadline, the Hugo Packet will be unavailable. Download it now if you want it.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Hugo voting is over on WEDNESDAY!!! Thursday in New Zealand

Voting deadline is Wednesday, 22 July 2020 at 23:59 PDT (UTC-7)/Thursday, 23 July 2020 at 18:59 NZST (UTC+12).

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
REMINDER

Voting ends today!
Voting deadline is Wednesday, 22 July 2020 at 23:59 PDT (UTC-7)/Thursday, 23 July 2020 at 18:59 NZST (UTC+12).

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Hugo Voting is over. The packet is off line.

I'm pretty sure CoNZealand intends to make the Hugo Ceremony publicly available even to those who are not attending members of the virtual convention. I'll post details when I find them.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Welp, I failed utterly at doing better at reading and voting. But even just reading the Lodestar nominees (which is all I managed), I still read more new-to-me books in the past month than in... a very long while.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Tamlyn--Anything is better than nothing! There's no expectation to fill in every category.

The Hugo Award Ceremony is Saturday 1 August from 11:00 to 14:30 NZST

Friday 31 July 19:00 to 22:30 EDT
Saturday 1 August from Midnight to 03:30 BST

I don't yet have a link to how to view it.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I found a link to the Hugo Ceremony.

https://watch.thefantasy.network/the-2020-hugo-awards/

It should be available for anyone to view even if you aren't an attending member of the con.

Streaming starts Saturday 1 August 2020 from 11:00 to 14:30 NZST. (That's Friday 31 July from 19:00 to 22:30 Eastern Daylight Time)

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Is the endless controversy/drama the Hugos seem to generate going to outshine the actual winners every year forever? I'm suspecting a curse at this point.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Is the endless controversy/drama the Hugos seem to generate going to outshine the actual winners every year forever? I'm suspecting a curse at this point.

The good news is your average SFF reader doesn't know anything about this. They see "Hugo Award" on a book cover, and it matters. The award itself has cachet because Worldcon has a decades-long track record of picking good stuff. Average Jane wandering into a bookstore in search of a good read hasn't watched any of the award speeches.

I do hurt for the winners and nominees, though. It's painful to watch, deeply disappointing and hurtful, and absolutely insulting. Kind of sad to realize the general theme seems to be "why can't everyone just accept that cishet white guys are the only ones who belong?" I mean, I knew I never belonged, but it's not fun to hear it over and over and over again.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Were the Hugos before the last five years or so ago always this... drama-filled?

Kind of ironic how the one genre supposed to be always looking forward is the one so deadset of staying stuck in the past.

A Hugo for Good Omens! I hope you're pleased, sir Terry.