2020 Hugo Awards--CoNZealand in Wellington, New Zealand

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I need to re-watch the shortened version so I can better appreciate the acceptance speeches. The Hugo Awards need to celebrate the winners and finalists.

Friendly Frog, the Hugo Awards in the last five years have garnered more main stream media coverage. Our lumps are on display. Before that, yes, there were issues that Plunged All Fandom Into War (to exaggerate slightly). But you just never heard of it unless you were adjacent to WSFS fandom.

I am *sincerely hoping* this is the last gasp of mysoginistic racists who make inappropriate "jokes" on the Hugo stage. (Though Harlan Ellison sexually assaulting the GOH on stage at the Hugos didn't stop it, so who knows?) I also hope that neither Martin nor Silverberg will ever be on a Hugo stage again.

Next year, Discon III in Washington DC will have Sheree Renée Thomas and Malka Older hosting the Hugos. WOOT!

Chicon 8 in Chicago in 2022 will have Annalee Newitz and Charlie Jane Anders as Toastmasters. WOOT!

Let us all hope fervently that Memphis or Chengdu will choose their Hugo Hosts wisely.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking about going to Chicon 8. The host hotel was where I attended my very first Windycon back in '81 so it makes sense to go there for my first Worldcon.

Last edited:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I have some relatives in Chicago, so maybe I can figure out a way to make it to Worldcon in 2022 if funds/vacation time permit. So much can change in 2 years though, so who knows.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not upgrading my Supporting membership for either Chicon or Discon yet. Too many variables.

I do not in any way envy Colette and Bill their decision on if, or when, to change Discon to a virtual convention. What a dilema!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Were the Hugos before the last five years or so ago always this... drama-filled?

Kind of ironic how the one genre supposed to be always looking forward is the one so deadset of staying stuck in the past.

Yes. Yes, they were. SFF fandom has been prone to squabbling and in- and out-groups for a long time.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Ah I see. I knew about the SFF fandom having had drama and squabbling from the start. I was just wondering whether that bleeding into the Hugos was a recent thing or not.

I've always been years behind the Hugos, mostly due to being a latecomer to the internet and partly because books with stickers 'winner of the Hugo award' (sometimes even translated for that honour) always filtered through to our bookshops long after the award was given out.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose now is as good a time as any to encourage people to look ahead to nominating this year's works for next year's Worldcon.

The 2021 Hugo Awards (which will NOT include Retro Hugos) will be administered by DisCon III in Washington, DC, USA. The Administrator is Will Frank, with Jesi Lipp and Christopher Brathwaite as Admin staff.

To be eligible to nominate, you must have been a Supporting or Attending member of CoNZealand, or purchase a Supporting or Attending membership to DisCon III on or before December 31, 2020. I try to get this information out early so people don't run into the financial crush of Christmas trying to buy a membership in time.

This year Supporting memberships are $50 USD. A Supporting membership to DisCon III gives you the rights to:
All generally available con publications
Nominate in the 2021 Hugo Awards
Vote in the 2021 Hugo Awards
Download the 2021 Hugo Award Voting Packet
Vote in Site Selection for the 2023 Worldcon (right now Chengdu, China and Memphis, Tennessee, USA are bidding)
Nominate in the 2022 Hugo Awards

I will note that if you purchase a membership this year (DisCon III) and next year (ChiCon 8), and always pay the fee to vote in site selection, then you will always have at least a Supporting membership in every Worldcon at the lowest possible rate. The Voting fee converts to a Supporting membership to whichever bid wins the rights to hold the Worldcon.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
ATTENTION HUGO VOTERS!

For the past few years, several rightsholders have made their contributions to the Hugo Voter Packet available via NetGalley.

If you have a NetGalley account, PLEASE BE AWARE that NetGalley has had a data breach. (Ironically, that web page is not secure. Go NetGalley!)

They will force you to change your password the next time you log in. I'd recommend doing that soon. ALSO if you, like me, used the same email and password at other sites, change all of them, too. Preferably to different passwords at each site. ;-)

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Popping in to say that Hugo Nominations for DisCon III are now open. This year's Hugos are for works published in 2020. If you were a supporting, Attending, or Young Adult member of ConZealand, or purchased your membership to DisCon III before midnight Pacific Time on December 31, 2020 you are eligible to nominate for the Hugo Awards this year. You should have received (or will shortly receive) an email to the e-mail address you gave when you registered.

Nominations close on Friday, March 19, 2021, 11:59 PM PDT (2:59 AM EDT / 0659 GMT on March 20)

Here is Lady Business's Hugo Spreadsheet of Doom to help you out. Please add anything from last year that you think ought to be there.

If a Moderator wants to change the name of this thread to "This Year's Hugos" or something like that, feel free.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Hugo Voting for the 2021 Hugos is now open. Worldcon has been moved to December so I assume Hugo Voting will close some time in November.