Getting lost in your work

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Lol, nice! Need to do something like that.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
I sent this article to my mother. "IT COULD BE WORSE." I always tell her if I'm going to be gone longer than a day and if I'm lost in my work I'm usually on my couch or hers, so she has nothing more to fret about!

. . . she'll find something, though.

Iain2

Registered
Reaction score
Lol…, try it !
Peace, quite, no kids and seeing the birds still in their pyjamas…, who needs more ?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Usually when I "get lost in my writing", it's more of the "your plot is a maze of twisty little passages, all looking alike" variety. :tongue

KDIvanov

Registered
Reaction score
I nonchalantly told my husband that some writers have a cabin in the woods, a cheap motel or some similar place to lock themselves away for a stretch of time to focus on their work and my husband slipped me a scared, Why-Do-You-Want-To-Get-Rid-of-Me-So-Badly look.

Last edited:

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
I nonchalantly told my husband that some writers have a cabin in the woods, a cheap motel or some similar place to lock themselves away for a stretch of time to focus on their work and my husband slipped me a scared, Why-Do-You-Want-To-Get-Rid-of-Me-So-Badly look.

I DO have a cabin in the woods, and I cannot write there. Too distracted by Mother Nature and all of the goings-on. I get up at 3:00 a.m. on the weekends when the house is quiet and shut the door to my room then work away. Sometimes it's productive even!

KDIvanov

Registered
Reaction score
I DO have a cabin in the woods, and I cannot write there. Too distracted by Mother Nature and all of the goings-on. I get up at 3:00 a.m. on the weekends when the house is quiet and shut the door to my room then work away. Sometimes it's productive even!

My DREAM is a big, glass structure in the middle of the wilderness. In reality, that would probably be terrifying.

Though I heard that being able to see greenery from where you work makes you 30 percent more productive... or something like that.

I write in the couple hours when I get home from work before my husband gets home. If I try to get up early, my darned, doting husband also wakes up. Solitude is a hot commodity.

Iain2

Registered
Reaction score
Early to bed, early to rise, makes a woman healthy wealthy, wise and an hour in her slippers before the darned Hubby's finished his deep sleep.

Ricardo Salepas

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like a good writing retreat is definitely in order. I've never actually had the chance to do it.
Closest thing I get to a retreat is when the wife is out all day doing something by herself and that happens few and far between.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm on my way back from a bird-watching trip to a cattle station west of Longreach in Queensland, and I reckon it'd be tops for a writing retreat. In winter, that is. Too bloody hot in summer. See also spring and autumn.

Iain2

Registered
Reaction score
Lol… Is it not your neck of the woods that have poisonous frogs, deadly crabs on the beach and saltwater crocodiles ?
Hmmm…, think I’ll keep to my garden. :)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Lol… Is it not your neck of the woods that have poisonous frogs, deadly crabs on the beach and saltwater crocodiles ?
Hmmm…, think I’ll keep to my garden. :)

No poisonous frogs or deadly crabs. And no crocodiles in the Thomson River because it is endorheic. Oh, someone released a freshie in there last year, but it didn't survive, the poor bastard.

Robots

In the future where will I be ?
Registered
Reaction score
Wow and LOL. Actually sounds like a dream to me (well, except for the question of sanitation :D)

laynecalry

Registered
Reaction score
I write between kiddos bedtime and bathtime and again right before i get ready for bed. I've also been taking my notebook or laptop to Football Practice, which lasts for a good solid two hours. So I can write inbetween watching my boys play.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sitting in my backyard is a perfect place to write when it isn't raining. I need an awning so I can write in the rain.

I can see if he was traveling Oz by himself there might be no one to tell that he was off on a five-nighter. My boyfriend (at the time) and I did that, traveling all over in a rental car to out of the way places and camping from there. There was no one to tell where we were going.

But who leaves their wallet in the car when hiking? That trailhead in the picture wasn't exactly deserted.

They do sound like they might be intriguing stories.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Though I heard that being able to see greenery from where you work makes you 30 percent more productive... or something like that.

Cool. I've just put a pot plant on my desk.

Really hoping this works - I've got a ton of work to get through.