Okay well to start, I'm writing a fantasy novel. So fiction. I work on it whenever inspiration hits me or whenever I get the time. You could say it's my hobby right now, with the final goal of it all to self-publish.
Self-publishing seems the easiest to me as I don't have the finances to go the actual hardcover route. I'm okay with that at this stage though seeing as it is my first writing project I feel the most invested in. Right now even though it would be nice to sell my e-book when the time comes, it's more about actually having something out there to say that I've done it. I've completed it.
I'm in it more for the recognition of becoming an author (successful or not) and being able to say "Oh hey yeah that's my book!"

Barbara R is very right in saying that during the writing process you get distracted and want to do other things. So I do need to keep my head down and work on this behemoth task I've set for myself.

To answer your question Patty, it's not so much the fact that I want to blog, I've read online that it would be a good idea to start building a reader base and audience through it. I've tried it for various other things I'm passionate about in the past but they've flunked because I just completely run out of time. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like the idea of it. Putting down all my thoughts and throwing caution to the wind while doing so. It'd be nice to get people to notice my book once I'm done, but I don't really know what the best route to take would be, especially since I'm self-publishing and under monetary strain.

I don't know if I'm being ridiculous thinking so far ahead because honestly It's going to take a while to finish and haven't quite seen that bridge yet.
So that's where I am at the moment.
Sorry for the long one, I only now thought I may as well bring you guys into the mess that is my very cluttered mind lol.