Reaction score
Definitive Reads </B>User NameRemember Me?Password
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/
post_old.gif
06-23-2006, 04:49 AM stumpfoot vbmenu_register("postmenu_663548", true);
One of the Locals

reputation_pos.gif

Definitive Reads
I'm looking for your input on the definitive non-fiction historical book about the person, place or thing that occupies our thoughts on the long ago. I will get the ball rolling by saying anything by stephen w. sears is a must read for civil war buffs. His books about Gettysburg and Antetiam are the best I've read. David Mcullogh's (I know I slaughtered the spelling) book on John Adams is brilliant. As is Issac Jacobson's work on Benjamin Franklin. When I get home I will take a look at my library and post some more. What do you think?
user_offline.gif
stumpfootView Public ProfileSend a private message to stumpfootSend email to stumpfootFind More Posts by stumpfoot

post_old.gif
06-23-2006, 06:31 AM alleycat vbmenu_register("postmenu_663622", true);
I'm a cool cat

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

I've enjoyed almost everything I've read by David McCullough; he even made Truman interesting. I recently got a copy of Brave Companions, a collections of essays on various people who shaped history.

If you enjoy books on the Civil War, you might try A Stillness at Appomattox by Bruce Catton (or anything by Mr. Catton for that matter).

I think Winston Churchill is worth reading, especially My Early Life and Memoirs of the Second World War (which is a little less intimidating than the six volume set, The Second World War).

For ancient history, I think The Greeks by H. D. F. Kitto is good. And Wormersley's abridged edition of Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (or the three volume non-abridged set if you can get through it).

And, not to pick on you, are you sure you don't mean Walter Isaacson on the Franklin book?

ac
Last edited by alleycat : 06-23-2006 at 06:49 AM.
user_offline.gif
alleycatView Public ProfileSend a private message to alleycatSend email to alleycatFind More Posts by alleycat

post_old.gif
06-23-2006, 06:45 AM stumpfoot vbmenu_register("postmenu_663630", true);
One of the Locals

reputation_pos.gif

Your right alley cat, I was going from memory. I was at work and half dead when I posted. Burke Davis is also a good read for the subject of the civil war. Stephen Ambrose's Undaunted courage and his book on the transcontinental railroad were great as well.
user_offline.gif
stumpfootView Public ProfileSend a private message to stumpfootSend email to stumpfootFind More Posts by stumpfoot

stumpfoot

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody read Jeffery Wert's work? He has a bio on Longstret and custer that are good as well as Mosby

Status
Not open for further replies.