I Hereby Order -

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I hereby order everyone to watch the shows I like and comment about them in threads I post in the TV room.

(also, can someone please reset the Simulation to 2015?)

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I hereby order that Netflix broadcasts without regional considerations.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hereby order my knees to become 20 years younger, and heck no I don't want to do any work to get there.

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
I hereby order my butt to stop hurting.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
I hereby order the Aussies to win back the Ashes.

LOL! I hereby order you to not make fun of Australians.

I hearby order someone to explain what this means.

The Ashes is a longstanding rivalry between Australia and England in the game of cricket, played bi-annually since 1882.

Oz lost the most recent game from a position of certain victory (England succeeded in making their highest final innings score in Ashes history). The five match series stands at one win each and one draw. Two matches remain. As the current holders of the trophy, Oz needs to win one of the remaining games to retain the trophy.

I hereby order the Australian cricket team to not cheat like they did in South Africa a year ago.

Last edited:

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hearby order cricket to make sense.

Cricket is simple.
You have two sides - one out in the field and one in.
Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.
Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When both sides have been in and out - including the not-outs - the game is over and the winner is announced, unless it rains because then Duckworth-Lewis will calculate runs from ins that were not ins or maybe would have been outs if they were ins. :D

I hereby order that everyone watch at least one test match.

Last edited:

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
Cricket is simple.
You have two sides - one out in the field and one in.
Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.
Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When both sides have been in and out - including the not-outs - the game is over and the winner is announced, unless it rains because then Duckworth-Lewis will calculate runs from ins that were not ins or maybe would have been outs if they were ins. :D

I hereby order that everyone watch at least one test match.

This is incomplete information, which I feel has been written in such a manner as to confuse those who are genuinely interested in learning the rules of cricket. Therefore:

The most important element of cricket is the wicket. The wicket has multiple definitions, all of which are very clear from context.

Firstly, there is the wicket. The wicket is the strip of grass that separates the batter from the bowler. It is against the rules for players to run upon the wicket, for that is detrimental to the batting team and may unfairly result in wickets.

Secondly, there is the wicket. The wicket is the group of sticks (stumps) that are hammered into the ground at each end of the wicket. One of the ways to get a player out is to hit the wicket with a ball. It is also possible for a batter to get themselves out by accidentally hitting the wicket, which is (logically) called “hit wicket.”

Thirdly, there are wickets. Players who are out are called wickets. Really bad batters are known as walking wickets even if they are not out. When ten wickets have been taken the other team takes their turn batting. Naturally, where they bat is at the wicket. As a new batter comes onto the field to take their place at the wicket, they are said to be walking to the wicket, though I admit that it has never been made clear to me whether that refers to walking to the wicket (the grass) or the wicket (the stumps). Be that as it may, the players all know what they are doing and the game always progresses in the normal manner.

The most important thing to understand is that rhyming is very important. As such, common terms you will hear in commentary are: cricket, wicket and snick it. In olden times the perimeter around the cricket ground was a picket fence, but this was deemed too confusing, though some parks still have such perimeters.

I hereby order the lawmakers of cricket to rename the lunch break the wicket. :Huh:

Last edited:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I hereby order one of the previous two posters to explain what "cow corner" is. :D

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hearby order Lewis Carroll’s moldering corpse to admit that Wonderland’s got nuthin’ on cricket.

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
I hereby order one of the previous two posters to explain what "cow corner" is. :D

“Cow corner” is a term in cricket that applies to the part of a cricket field into which an unskilled batter, i.e. often a walking wicket, will hit the ball in order to score runs, and hopefully not sacrifice his / her wicket. There are some things that need clarification at this juncture:

Since a cricket field is oval in shape, there are no actual corners.

Since cricket is an organised sport, there are no actual cows.

Even though there are no corners and no cows, “cow corner” is not a random part of the cricket field, but rather somewhere in the general vicinity of the leg side boundary, often in the region known as deep midwicket. This is the most usual area for a walking wicket to throw away their wicket, and rarely involves the active participation of the wicketkeeper, other than of course in instances of run outs.

I hereby order Be Frank to contribute to this thread with something other than frivolous demands. :wag:

Last edited:

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
I hereby order you to stop telling lies. Cricket is clearly a crowd-sourced drug-trip.

Whilst international cricket is indeed crowd funded, it could indeed be assumed that players are paid to perform to a standard that would be assisted by the use of various drugs, though unfortunately many players are unable to source their own substances, as evidenced by the example of Shane Warne being given diuretics by his own mother, for which he was banned for a year.

OTOH, lower grade cricket, including the state competition in Oz, has such low attendance rates that players often play for what amounts to little more than a wage, and AFAIK are amongst the lowest paid athletes of all sports.

I hereby order people to stop slandering a game of which they have little to no understanding, and less interest in.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I order people to stop slandering a game of which they have little to no understanding, and less interest in.

Hey, I understand baseball, and I slander it all the time.

Was at a TGI Fridays of all places a few months ago, and on one of the many sportsball screens they had playing around the restaurant perimeter there was a cricket match. My dad, who went to school all over the world as a kid, watched with delight. We should embrace all the sportsballs. (Although I will admit at my house it's sportsball equal opportunity because we watch none of them.)

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I order people to stop slandering a game of which they have little to no understanding, and less interest in.

But uninformed slander is the best kind! I hereby order you to admit that.

Last edited:

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I understand baseball, and I slander it all the time.

Was at a TGI Fridays of all places a few months ago, and on one of the many sportsball screens they had playing around the restaurant perimeter there was a cricket match. My dad, who went to school all over the world as a kid, watched with delight. We should embrace all the sportsballs. (Although I will admit at my house it's sportsball equal opportunity because we watch none of them.)

I hereby order you to obey the rules of this thread and order someone to do something.

But uninformed slander is the best kind! I hearby order you to admit that.

I do indeed admit that what you say is true.

I hereby order you to stop trying to use logic to win arguments.

Last edited: