Hello Everyone

Jigida70

Registered
Reaction score
My name is James Byron Clark. I currently live in Northwest Iowa. About a year ago, I left a director of operations job for a small restaurant company in South Dakota. I decided at that time to spend the next year and a half in a (relatively) less stressful job (serving tables). My mental state after leaving the previous job had me convinced that my addiction to ambition was ruining my life. At that time I was going to write a book called "I Don't Have to Rule the World", about my journey into a life of late afternoon cocktails, video game marathons, and a don't worry be happy take on every life situation. One month into that journey boredom set in, and I began to set things in motion to open my own restaurant (which I'm still 6-24 months away from). I still want to write a book in the meantime though.

My interests, both in writing and reading, are in the psychology of leadership, team-building, and life-transformation. My biggest focus in the last year, has been on the topic of ambition. Though I've found a lot of dead ends in my research, what I have found has broadened how I define ambition, and I've begun to learn how that definition has inhibited me from finding happiness in my pursuits. Ultimately, I'd like to write a book on healthy ambition. I also have a self-published sci-fi book that I co-wrote a few years ago, and eventually I'd like to write a sequel, but it probably won't happen for a few more years.

I would love to do beta reading. One of my strong-suits in restaurant management is giving feedback, and I'd like to see if that could translate to beta reading. With my background in psychology, I'm always really interested in getting in the heads of characters, and trying to understand them. With that, I'd probably want to beta read character driven stories.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, JB. Thanks for one of the most interesting intros in a while.

So many want to twist this New Members forum into a hard-sell of their new, fantastic book, whereas you did a magnificent job to soft-sell your new, fantastic self.

I'm sure you'll find lots of like-minded writers here eager to exchange ideas. :greenie

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, a willing beta reader! You're going to be quite popular here on that alone, besides sounding like a good guy. Nice to meet you!

Maryn, vacuuming the welcome mat yet again and glaring at Chase's muddy boots

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Jigida70

Registered
Reaction score
Chase, I appreciate that. I'm really hoping to get some good insight on what direction to go with my writing, while also helping other people.

Jigida70

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Maryn. I'll do my best to give quality feedback.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

Nadinarte

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there! Fantastic presentation. (●⌒∇⌒●)
Welcome to the forum.

Nadia