Hello and Greetings from Europe!

hspotorno

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, thanks for letting me join the forum! My name is Henrique, I'm originally from Brazil, but now live in Europe.

• What genres do you write?

I usually write science fiction, although recently I've been trying to write more immersive stories on the web.

• What do you like to read?

Funnily enough, I don't read that much science fiction. I like a good horror story or 20th-century American fiction like Kurt Vonnegut or Thomas Pynchon.

• How long have you been writing?

I started seriously writing and making it a part of a routine about 5 years ago. That being said, I don't write nearly enough as I would like to. I'm hoping to immerse myself more in the activity to see if I can find the discipline to write at least a bit every day.

• Do you beta read?

I have done it for friends but I don't find I'm good enough to be very helpful. I am also a slow reader, unfortunately.

• Do you have any particular hobbies? Are you expert in any particular field or craft?

I am a programmer and I try to incorporate it into writing. I wouldn't say I'm an expert in any particular field.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Nadinarte

Registered
Reaction score
Hello hspotorno! Welcome! (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))
You know, I also haven't read much science fiction (I watch it in movies and series though and love it ✩◝(◍⌣̎◍)◜✩). Even so, my first book project happens to be a sci-fi.
I am guessing your first language is Portuguese? How many languages do you speak and why did you start to write in English?
Sorry, I'm actually very curious. ⌒°(ᴖ◡ᴖ)°⌒

Nadia

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
Bem vindo Henrique! :welcome:

Funnily enough, I don't read that much science fiction.

You know, I also haven't read much science fiction (I watch it in movies and series though and love it ✩◝(◍⌣̎◍)◜✩). Even so, my first book project happens to be a sci-fi.

wow, sounds like you and Nadinarte need to start reading some of the SF classics! In my case been meaning to read Paulo Coelho for a long time and finally started O Alquimista recently, managed to score a copy of the Portuguese version, trying to learn by reading it together with English version.

Last edited:

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

SAWeiner

Reaction score
Bem vindo!!! Welcome!!! Where in Europe do you live? I bet Portugal!!! Of course, you could be living in Poland or Albania instead!

Last edited:

hspotorno

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome! Glad to see an active and friendly community.

I am guessing your first language is Portuguese? How many languages do you speak and why did you start to write in English?
Bem vindo!!! Welcome!!! Where in Europe do you live? I bet Portugal!!! Of course, you could be living in Poland or Albania instead!

So my name gave it away that easily? :D My first language is Portuguese as you all guessed, although I am actually Brazilian and live in Austria now! Picked up English and German on the way.

As to why I write in English... I've lived abroad for a few years now, and English has been my language for most of it. Plus, there are more readers and more resources to get published in in rather than in Portuguese. I also read a lot of English fiction as mentioned above, so it wasn't too hard to imagine myself writing in the same vein. But I didn't really have the confidence to do write in English at first since I speak it as a second language and my grammar is not that great. I actually only got over it after learning that Joseph Conrad only learned English in his twenties and spoke it with a heavy accent. It's a small thing, I know. :)

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Welcome to AW! :welcome:
Good luck with your writing :) This is a great community and hopefully it helps answer any questions you have. I've found connecting with other writers really energises my desire to write.