Mentioning Fanzine Publication in Query?

Princess Amps

Writer Chick
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I've had some stories published in fanzines. Writers send in samples of their writing to the zine runners, and if chosen, they write a short story for the project. The problem is that the stories are fanfiction. Would that be worth mentioning in a query?

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I've had some stories published in fanzines. Writers send in samples of their writing to the zine runners, and if chosen, they write a short story for the project. The problem is that the stories are fanfiction. Would that be worth mentioning in a query?

If it's a popular outlet then it wouldn't hurt to mention it. If these places don't have much readership or name recognition then I wouldn't mention them. Either way, your work is what the agent will be judging and that has to speak for itself. Nothing else matters if they don't like the work you submit or feel like it's a good fit.

Princess Amps

Writer Chick
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! That really helps. I don't think the zines are well known outside of the fandom, so I'll skip mentioning it.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Former acquisition editor here.

Unless a story sold for real money, do not mention it.

The only thing that gives you cred on a resume is if another editor PAID for your words.

Stating that your fan fiction placed at various sites just makes an editor roll his/her eyes at your lack of professionalism. It could even count against you.

Your submission stands or falls on its own merits. If I think it is publishable and will make my venue money I will buy it. Don't try padding things with something on the level of "My mom really liked this!"

All writers start unknown and unpublished.

All editors and agents know that.

They are anxious to find a diamond in the slush. Write a diamond and make a sale, then put THAT in your next query.

The only thing I'm interested in seeing in a query is genre and word count. Your pro sales will come a far third. I used to skip the query/cover letter and jump to the story. Within half a dozen lines I'd know if the writer knew what he/she was doing.

Most stories would have been improved had the writer deleted the first 3-5 pages.

I can advise avoiding "protag wakes up" openings, along with weather reports, scenery descriptions, and any mothers looking fondly at their sleeping child just before hearing the weird noise in the house. Have an animal in the narrative just to kill it off? Forget it.

I never rejected a story for having a bare resume, but those cliches got it kicked to the curb! ;)

Last edited: