DOJ Argument Against LGBTQ Employment Rights Goes to Supreme Court

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In fact, the administration just issued a proposed rule that would let any company that contracts with the federal government fire LGBTQ workers in the name of "religious liberty."

https://sourcepolitics.com/doj-christian-employers-should-be-allowed-to-make-women-wear-skirts/

It's an attack on trans rights specifically in this case, but would apply to any LGBTQ employee anywhere in the US, giving Christian employers the right to fire people they don't like, and make women wear shirts to work. I don't see how you can keep Equal Employment Opportunity Laws when any religious belief of employers trumps every right of workers. Dark days. We're spiralling down the right-wing toilet of doom...

I don't see how this can stand, but with the stacked court, it will.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I say if anyone is using 'it's against my religious beliefs' to discriminate among their employees should have to demonstrate that they actually have religious beliefs, and live their life in accordance with those beliefs. Not just popping in on major holidays and having the basic rites performed.

ie, for self-proclaimed Christians (major group in the U.S., and one that I am somewhat familiar with):
Do you know the 10 commandments, and can you explain them?
Have you read all of Leviticus, not just the bits that you find pleasing?
How do you feel about the concept of 'labour is worthy of it's hire'? Do you understand the parable of the good Samaritan? Do you try to emulate it in your own life?
Can you explain the main teachings of Jesus?
How do you find them relevant to your life?
Have you considered rewarding your employees, if not with loaves and fishes, then with the occasional pizza lunch?
Questions will be graded for quality, as well as detail.
Results will be kept on file, should you wish to use your 'religious beliefs' to attack people.

Note: there are no lie detectors in use, but, if you lie, well, God knows everything.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I say if anyone is using 'it's against my religious beliefs' to discriminate among their employees should have to demonstrate that they actually have religious beliefs, and live their life in accordance with those beliefs. Not just popping in on major holidays and having the basic rites performed.

ie, for self-proclaimed Christians (major group in the U.S., and one that I am somewhat familiar with):
How do you feel about the concept of 'labour is worthy of it's hire'? Do you understand the parable of the good Samaritan? Do you try to emulate it in your own life?
Have you considered rewarding your employees, if not with loaves and fishes, then with the occasional pizza lunch?
Results will be kept on file, should you wish to use your 'religious beliefs' to attack people.

Note: there are no lie detectors in use, but, if you lie, well, God knows everything.

While I take your point, this is exactly why religion needs to stay out of government to begin with.

Civil rights are an attempt to codify the dignities that every human must be granted simply because they are human. If X or Y religion says a particular set of people shouldn't have civil rights, the law must trump that religion's "sincerely-held" beliefs.

To suggest otherwise is blatantly unconstitutional, but my money's on this SCOTUS upholding it. We've been a theocracy after a fashion for a long time; we're now being explicit about it, and the theology we're enacting into law is pretty abhorrent.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The best thing about the religious defense is that, in a courtroom, religion means whatever the "believer" chooses it to mean, even if it directly contradicts the religion's own founding principles. It's the ultimate and eternal Get Out Of Jail Free card, answerable to no logic or fact or authority.

I've said it before, and will say it again: fundamentalism will be the death of the country, and likely the human species.

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The best thing about the religious defense is that, in a courtroom, religion means whatever the "believer" chooses it to mean, even if it directly contradicts the religion's own founding principles. It's the ultimate and eternal Get Out Of Jail Free card, answerable to no logic or fact or authority.

Anyone that eats shellfish or wears clothing made of two types of fabric, that's a stoning in my book...

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone that eats shellfish or wears clothing made of two types of fabric, that's a stoning in my book...
If God didn't want two types of fabric to be mixed, I cannot believe that he would approve of synthetics, either. "This was a tree, and that was... a puddle of glop?"

I don't think religion should be the basis for anything but one's own private beliefs, or something done among consenting adults, but that genie is out of it's bottle. So, it's time to regulate and restrict.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I don't think religion should be the basis for anything but one's own private beliefs, or something done among consenting adults, but that genie is out of it's bottle. So, it's time to regulate and restrict.

The thing is, I think the original US Constitution was an attempt to do something like this. If no single religion is held above the others, then laws must be made based on the common good.

The current administration has taken "you can't discriminate against someone because of their religion" and warped it into "if someone's religion tells them something is morally wrong, it's discrimination to make them accommodate someone who disagrees with them."

I don't think we can or should restrict religion. But as the old saying goes, what you have a right to do with your religion stops at the end of my nose.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Wouldn't it be fantastic if a judge grilled a bigoted employer like that?

Deleted, Introversion beat me to it.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be fantastic if a judge grilled a bigoted employer like that?

Deleted, Introversion beat me to it.

Or, a prosecutor. Or, a lawyer for the other side.:evil I'd settle for an on-air interview, especially if the interviewer has a religious (any) background and can really sink their teeth into the subject!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bet you a tenner it’s not *any* religious belief.

Not that you're wrong, but what kind of legal basis could allow religious "liberty" for Christians only? I'm sure you're right, honestly, but how could this be justified without overturning, like, all legal precedent for the last hundred years?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
While I take your point, this is exactly why religion needs to stay out of government to begin with.

Exactly, and we already have a situation where the government is declaring some religions more equal than others.

https://truthout.org/articles/leaving-food-and-water-for-migrants-at-the-border-shouldnt-be-a-crime/

Asking them to interpret a person's faith for them won't end well. It already isn't.

Still, I really wish those people who do not follow every behavioral edict set down in the Old and New Testaments could could be called out for targeting LGBTQ people as the only folks in the universe who don't live according to Deuteronomy or Leviticus or whatever.

Nor will they will stop with persecution of LGBTQ people if the courts green light this. They start with the most socially vulnerable group, those whose human rights are still being disputed societally. If successful, they will continue to push, push, and push to see how big of assholes they can get away with being to other groups in the name of "religious freedom."

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not that you're wrong, but what kind of legal basis could allow religious "liberty" for Christians only? I'm sure you're right, honestly, but how could this be justified without overturning, like, all legal precedent for the last hundred years?

That’s precisely what the GOP aims to do in areas of personal freedoms. Anything can be justified legally, if you can appoint people of bad faith who agree with your goals.