Question about poetry book manuscript formatting

donatos

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, guys, please pardon me if I'm in the wrong section or if I didn't see a sticky on this subject but I figured posters here might know the answer to this question. I have always thought the correct format for poetry manuscripts was to space lines by 1 and a half to 2 spaces. Since I've started writing I've done this before sending out submissions. Also, I've always centered the poems rather than justifying to the left. But I've heard editors say this is amateurish, to always left justify. Also, same editor said to use single line spacing. I'm currently sending out a book to a competition and wonder what your methods are. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
I would also say to space the lines by 1.5 or 2 spaces. I personally wouldn't go with spacing them by 1 space, as I feel it's easier to read with at least 1.5 spacing. I use 1.5 spacing in my own work as well, and I don't write poetry. And whether to center your poems or justifying them to the left is entirely your choice and what you think works best. However... when you find a publisher, go with whatever they suggest if it's all the same to you.

donatos

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, PiaSophia. Truly helped out.