What Kind of Parenting Advice Would You Give to a Human Who Was Just Given a Vampire Child to Raise?

Vampirequeen

Registered
Reaction score
If this is in the wrong place, I apologize. I'm working on a novel about a preschool teacher the is given a 2 year old vampire child to take care of because the town has been invaded by vampire hunters and his parents want to keep him safe. Besides "don't let it bite anyone," what kind of parenting advice would you give to the human parent of a vampire child?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
That depends largely on what constitutes a vampire in your world. Are there special vulnerabilities (don't feed them garlic pizza)? Special strengths (they'll break out of anything save a reinforced steel playpen)? What marks them as a vampire that the human parents will have to hide so the vampire hunters don't ID the child? (Also, what tone are you going for? If this is lighter fare, you could find some silly things: don't give them stuffed animals to play with, because the child will try feeding and the stuffing will clog their fangs. If it's darker or more serious...)

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding Brightdreamer.

Also, if this is a licensed preschool, there's going to be a procedure for health conditions—care plans, "if, then" situations. (For example, "if child comes in contact with peanuts, administer epi-pen, call 911, contact parent in that order.") The preschool teacher is likely to think in these sorts of terms.

What's the situation? Are they (the teacher) protecting the child at their own home? At the preschool? Who is aware at the preschool? If everyone knows at the school, that health care plan is going to be a liability—it will need to be shredded or deleted.

Also, the teacher is going to want to avoid reflective surfaces in public. Otherwise someone's going to notice that Johnny doesn't have a reflection.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wear plenty of sunscreen?

Think I'd need to hear a bit more about who vampires are in your world. It's a rare story that makes me see vampires as objects of sympathy. They're predators. They must kill people to live, yes?

If your vampires are "fixed" at creation, ageless, then he's an eternal toddler with bloodlust? I mean, I'd like to hear how the preschool teacher was persuaded to care for him. More so than the mechanics of it.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I can think of all kinds of potential advice but it's all contingent on the rules. I guess the one common thread is 'Get blood, lots of it'. Reminds me of the horror movie Grace, which has a similar, if not identical, premise. Good movie if you can handle the squick.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Breastfeeding seems like a bad idea?

Rehome the pets?

Depends what vampires are like in your world.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking that if your vampires are the 'burn in sunlight' kind, it's going to be really hard to keep a toddler safely away from windows and open doors.

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
There's a rare RL disorder, Xeroderma pigmentosum, that makes people extremely sensitive to the UV from sunlight and the only remedy is to avoid exposure as completely as possible. (I don't have evidence but it sounds like a thing that might have inspired the vampire myth.) This provides both a handy excuse for the guardian and a protocol for managing kids that can be researched.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Would the vampire child actually grow and mature, or would they simply stay the same age for all eternity as they were when they were infected with vampirism?

If vampire children do develop and grow, is it at the same rate as normal children, or will it be slowed by their condition?

This is something that would be good to know.

Other details would depend on how vampirism works in your world. Is sunlight deadly to them, or does it hurt but not kill them, or is it merely uncomfortable for them, or do they sparkle in sunlight? Will they have any sort of superpowers? Are they possessed of a moral compass, or are they amoral, or are they outright evil? Do they have uncontrollable cravings for blood, or merely a fondness for it that can be curbed? Can they eat normal food or only blood? Where must they get their blood if they feed on it? Is cow's blood acceptable, or must it be human? Can they be trusted around housepets?

Do they have a severe sensitivity to garlic? I suppose that one would be easy enough to explain away and accommodate, given the modern awareness of food allergies and sensitivities. Themindstream mentioned explaining away sun sensitivity as Xeroderma pigmentiosum (these kids are sometimes actually called "vampire children.") Managing this sort of thing is a heck of a commitment for a foster parent, though.

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clean your plate. There's starving vampire kids in Africa.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I sorta think it would be fun if the vampires give unreliable advice to the foster mom, too. Like for sure they share all the important info, but to prevent their true weaknesses from being revealed, they insist on a bunch of not-true stuff as well.

"You must never have celery in your home. Ever. The smell of it causes vampiric seizures and tooth decay. This is a highly-guarded piece of our lore--do not tell anyone."

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Can they eat normal food or only blood? Where must they get their blood if they feed on it? Is cow's blood acceptable, or must it be human? Can they be trusted around housepets?
And, if the foster family really wants to get a pet, get a big dog, like a St. Bernard, or a mastiff, something with a lot of blood in it, in case of unfortunate incidents, or, if the child is unable to get it's regular supply. With a farm family this would be less of a problem. The other kids have steers for 4-H, the vampire kid has one for blood.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If this is in the wrong place, I apologize. I'm working on a novel about a preschool teacher the is given a 2 year old vampire child to take care of because the town has been invaded by vampire hunters and his parents want to keep him safe. Besides "don't let it bite anyone," what kind of parenting advice would you give to the human parent of a vampire child?

If the town has been 'invaded' by vampire hunters I doubt handing the kid to humans will avoid its detection. And were I a pre-school teacher I would be pretty wary of someone who handed me their two-year-old and referred to it as 'it'.

Isn't the teacher aware of the vampire hunt and interested in protecting her flock?

Pre-school is never going to be the same again, I guess.:snoopy:

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
And were I a pre-school teacher I would be pretty wary of someone who handed me their two-year-old and referred to it as 'it'.
YES.

Isn't the teacher aware of the vampire hunt and interested in protecting her flock?
From the vampires or from the people who would hunt vampires? This would actually be a great (and realistic) conflict . . . the one kid who is so vulnerable, but can hurt others . . . everyone deserves protection . . . what's a teacher to do? (Hint: it should probably involve tough clothing, impenetrable by teeth.)