Querying Agents and Agent Requests

hopper0001

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Community,

After over five years of continuous writing and more rewrites than I care to count, I am finally at a stage with my novel manuscript where I feel it is polished and ready for submission. Currently I have narrowed down a handful of prospective agents, one in particular that I feel might be a good target for my work. Since all work needs to be categorized, my story has the traits of and falls into YA/Coming of Age. It is told from a third person omniscient narrative, and told in flashback by the main character as he recalls the time of his youth. I stayed away from first person, because I absolutely needed to have other voices beside the main character speaking and multiple POV first person head hopping proved way too confusing for the reader (any even myself)

Reading the submission guidelines of this particularly favored market (based on their write-up in The Writers Market Guide to Agents and their own website), their submission requirements are pretty straight forward. Query, 6 page double spaced synopsis (a little unusual as most are just one page, but I wrote a 6 page custom one for them), first 3 chapters of the completed manuscript, and lastly--and the area of which I have the most question-- a "biography with an emphasis on your qualifications for writing the manuscript and how you can help market it." I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on how to answer that last question? How could I "qualify" myself to write the manuscript? Not sure how to answer that one. I had the idea, it seemed a good idea so I wrote it. And "how can I help market it?" That one's a bit tough, too. I guess I'm pretty much of a neophyte in regards to some of these requests because it is my first novel (although of course I won't let THEM know that). Any advice at all would be greatly appreciative. I've done so much work on this for 5 years and I want to present myself in the best light possible, so I don't want to misstep on the little things.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone might be able to offer.

Kind Regards,

Russ

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
First, and generally, query widely. It can be hard to know which agent might love your book. Taste can be very subjective. Sometimes your top agent sends a swift rejection but someone with less online presence or a more eclectic list might be the perfect fit.

With the requirements, I think you follow them to the best of your ability, and within reason for the time/cost equation of a query. You've already done a special synopsis. I wouldn't sweat the bio and marketing plan--it's a bit non-standard. You're sure that's not aimed at non-fiction authors? That phrasing sounds very NF.

If they really want a bio and marketing ideas, make sure you include a bit about yourself and maybe some comps in the query. I struggle to think what more would be appropriate for fiction at the query stage--I'd worry I was being presumptuous to include too much, but maybe mention if you have social media accounts or whatnot.

Which agency requests that? It might make more sense if the agent handles a lot of non-fic.

Do make sure to research any agent or agency before you query. The index here is a good guide, as is QueryTracker. Make sure you find some evidence of sales somewhere.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Community,

After over five years of continuous writing and more rewrites than I care to count, I am finally at a stage with my novel manuscript where I feel it is polished and ready for submission. Currently I have narrowed down a handful of prospective agents, one in particular that I feel might be a good target for my work. Since all work needs to be categorized, my story has the traits of and falls into YA/Coming of Age. It is told from a third person omniscient narrative, and told in flashback by the main character as he recalls the time of his youth. I stayed away from first person, because I absolutely needed to have other voices beside the main character speaking and multiple POV first person head hopping proved way too confusing for the reader (any even myself)

Reading the submission guidelines of this particularly favored market (based on their write-up in The Writers Market Guide to Agents and their own website), their submission requirements are pretty straight forward. Query, 6 page double spaced synopsis (a little unusual as most are just one page, but I wrote a 6 page custom one for them), first 3 chapters of the completed manuscript, and lastly--and the area of which I have the most question-- a "biography with an emphasis on your qualifications for writing the manuscript and how you can help market it." I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on how to answer that last question? How could I "qualify" myself to write the manuscript? Not sure how to answer that one. I had the idea, it seemed a good idea so I wrote it. And "how can I help market it?" That one's a bit tough, too. I guess I'm pretty much of a neophyte in regards to some of these requests because it is my first novel (although of course I won't let THEM know that). Any advice at all would be greatly appreciative. I've done so much work on this for 5 years and I want to present myself in the best light possible, so I don't want to misstep on the little things.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone might be able to offer.

Kind Regards,

Russ

Does this agent also rep non-fic? Does the person rep whatever genre your book is primarily?

Just say something bland -- You're a mermaid living on the shores of Rhode Island who had the same issue as your character, or who taught teens or who is so close to your niece or whatever bs. They're asking if it's own voice, basically. You also have a social media presence and a willingness to do outreach to schools, libraries, blogs, and other nonsense.

Have more than a handful of agents. Have dozens.

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
I agree with cornflake and averybigbeard regarding this: “biography with an emphasis on your qualifications for writing the manuscript and how you can help market it”.

I saw something like this on one agency’s web site although I don’t remember the agency’s name. And they clearly state it’s for non-fiction authors.

hopper0001

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your input. It is greatly appreciated, especially for a beginner like me. This agency does both fiction and non fiction. But the bit about "helping to market" is listed below the fiction novel section. I do agree it is a bit strange. I also did sign up for QueryTracker (the link to it was suggested in a rejection email from another agent--I'm prepared to get lots of these). Yes, I have been trying to research as much as I can regarding type of work and evidence of sales. This is why I have only a handful of prospects currently, but am working on getting more. It's a tough job. I can see why many authors get frustrated, but since I put a lot of effort into this (also working on a new novel and trying to sell some short stories), I figured I'd better give it all that I have. True, you never know who will actually be enticed by your work, it may be the last person you expect. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer! I greatly appreciate it!

hopper0001

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cornflake! Excellent advice! I am working on searching out agents and as you and VeryBigBeard suggest I need to get more prospects. It's a full time job in and of itself and actually harder than writing the book!

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Uhm, does their website actually say 'fiction novel?'

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Okie. I have no idea what agency that is, but personally, I'd close their page and walk away.

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
I’d also like to respectfully point out that a book featuring an adult narrator looking back on his/her teen years is not likely to fall into the age category of YA, which almost always features main characters who are currently teens. If you are targeting YA agents you may find this a hard sell.

hopper0001

Registered
Reaction score
I thought of that, but then how do you think I should classify this? The bulk of the story is told at a time when the main character is young and in the time of his youth. I don’t think genre should dictate us writing a story the way we want to. By that I mean, I couldn’t sit there and contemplate writing a novel and say to myself “hmmm well gee I can’t write that story because it won’t fit into YA category!” Strictly speaking I agree with you. Although it has young characters in, I don’t really think it’s a strictly YA story. In fact I think of it more of a nostalgic story. Think of Stephen King’s “Stand by Me” or even “Summer of 42”. Those are about adult characters recalling their youth (King does it in 1st person and Herman Raucher did it in 3rd person). Still, it has to be put into a “category” for marketing purposes. I understand just what you are saying and would be greatly appreciative for any thoughts on what “category” or classification you would think something like this would fall into. Thanks so much!!

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I thought of that, but then how do you think I should classify this? The bulk of the story is told at a time when the main character is young and in the time of his youth. I don’t think genre should dictate us writing a story the way we want to. By that I mean, I couldn’t sit there and contemplate writing a novel and say to myself “hmmm well gee I can’t write that story because it won’t fit into YA category!” Strictly speaking I agree with you. Although it has young characters in, I don’t really think it’s a strictly YA story. In fact I think of it more of a nostalgic story. Think of Stephen King’s “Stand by Me” or even “Summer of 42”. Those are about adult characters recalling their youth (King does it in 1st person and Herman Raucher did it in 3rd person). Still, it has to be put into a “category” for marketing purposes. I understand just what you are saying and would be greatly appreciative for any thoughts on what “category” or classification you would think something like this would fall into. Thanks so much!!

It sounds like contemporary fiction to me. Plenty of adult fiction have teenagers or even children as protagonist. For example, "The Loney" his about an older man who looks back to a specific period of his life when he was a teenager and the circumstances that changed his brother, and it's an adult and not YA fiction.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cornflake! Excellent advice! I am working on searching out agents and as you and VeryBigBeard suggest I need to get more prospects. It's a full time job in and of itself and actually harder than writing the book!

Yes, it is. It really is. I have spent as much as four hours researching a single agent and polishing a perfect query to that agent and not received so much as an acknowledgment, let alone a response. Some queries are quicker to put together, but I rarely had a day where I could send off more than eight, usually closer to four.

Multiply those numbers by 100 or 200 and that's a lot of hours for very little return. And grabbing agent interest is not signing, and signing is not selling the book.

hopper0001

Registered
Reaction score
But how could it be "contemporary fiction" if it is going back in time looking at at an earlier point of their life? I ask this with all due respect because I am a bit confused. "Contemporary" would mean taking place "now". I know for sure that it's a "coming of age" because it has those elements in it. The character going through his growing pains (but of course-in the past)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
You can query it as a coming of age novel. Take a look at definitions for and current fiction that falls under literary fiction, upmarket, book club, see if your mss seems like it would fit under one of those, then look for agents who rep that category.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
But how could it be "contemporary fiction" if it is going back in time looking at at an earlier point of their life? I ask this with all due respect because I am a bit confused. "Contemporary" would mean taking place "now". I know for sure that it's a "coming of age" because it has those elements in it. The character going through his growing pains (but of course-in the past)

Contemporary means that the story set in contemporary times (modern times). The fact that the MC is looking back at his childhood doesn't change that, unless your story is set up in another century and then it's historical fiction.

I think before you query you need to get a lot more familiar with the different genres and category. What you would be good comparative titles to your story?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Have you checked them out in the Bewares and Recommendations pages here? It's just that all novels are fiction, and "fiction novel" can be a bit of a red flag...

I agree with mccardey. It's a bit of a worry that this agent uses this phrase. If you'd like, OP, you can send me a PM in confidence, and tell me who this agent is, and if I know of them I will let you know. Good or bad.

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
I don’t think genre should dictate us writing a story the way we want to. By that I mean, I couldn’t sit there and contemplate writing a novel and say to myself “hmmm well gee I can’t write that story because it won’t fit into YA category!”

You can write whatever your heart desires. I am just saying that YA agents (and all agents) have some fairly specific requirements for what they accept. So if you want to trade publish and you target YA agents without a clear understanding of this age category you will be setting yourself up for failure.

The good news is that there likely is a genre this fits into. To me it sounds more like contemporary or mainstream fiction.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score

Leaving the YA/Adult thing aside, what genre is it?

hopper0001

Registered
Reaction score
Leaving the YA/Adult thing aside, what genre is it?

Coming of Age Romance. Takes place in college environment in 1960 and involves romantic exchange between self conscious main character and sweet, faith based girl.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Coming of Age Romance. Takes place in college environment in 1960 and involves romantic exchange between self conscious main character and sweet, faith based girl.

Ok, so it sounds like either women's fic or romance (depending on if it meets romance criteria). It doesn't sound YA at all, btw.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com

Romance means the story focuses on the development of a relationship between two (or more) people and the story ends with a happily-ever-after or happily-for-now.

If the story is mainly about the MC looking back on his coming of age, it doesn't sound like a romance novel even if he had a relationship in the past. I would suggest reading romance novels to have an idea what this genre is like before you query the manuscript as a romance.

hopper0001

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks but I didn't say it was a romance novel. It's a coming of age novel that has some romantic venture in it. Many novels have several different genres in them (like two) and that sort of helps narrow down what will be dealt with in the work. But predominantly it is coming of age. If there is a better way to phrase the "love" aspect involved, by all means please let me know your opinion.

Thanks!

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks but I didn't say it was a romance novel.

But you did. :greenie

It's a coming of age novel that has some romantic venture in it. Many novels have several different genres in them (like two) and that sort of helps narrow down what will be dealt with in the work. But predominantly it is coming of age. If there is a better way to phrase the "love" aspect involved, by all means please let me know your opinion.

Thanks!
Coming of age with romantic elements (if that's a key part of the story) could work. Saying it's a romance is a completely different thing.