Rejoining after a long absence

Lady_Phenyx

Registered
Reaction score
*waves shyly* Hello - according to my profile, I posted some (barely at all, 7 posts total) here back in 2012, but that was long enough ago I feel like a total newbie. My alias is Lady Phenyx, and I write original novels (mostly fantasy with some attempts at variety) and, if I'm being honest, fanfiction. It's good practice. :) I have...far too many first drafts and a few second drafts. There's too many and not enough time!

I like to do a daily quota with a pot of flavored tea and my writing playlist on youtube so things actually get done.

I've been working on a move for the last three years. Everything's here, we just moved in a rush and didn't downsize, so now everything's still lying around and it's up to me to sort it out. I'm about one box away from a meltdown.

I'm hoping to be able to talk with other creative people. It's hard since I don't know what to say or where to begin or how to join conversations, but I want to try. :eek:

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! It can be a little intimidating, but everyone sees the world in a different way and has experiences that they can share that no one else can, so if you see a topic that catches your attention, just jump right in. Your perspective will make our community that little bit richer. If nothing else, we LOVE questions here, because it gives us something to do.
Have you published any of your fan fiction? which worlds do you explore?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back

Lady_Phenyx

Registered
Reaction score
Hey BradCarsten, I put my fics up on Archive of Our Own (AO3). :) (It's linked in my signature.)

I'm working in the Rise of the Guardians, Gravity Falls Transcendence AU, and Moomins worlds right now. I'm supposed to be writing something lemony for ROTG (sequels to the polyamourous marriage story) and it's been so long it's exceedingly awkward, haha. I have three Moomins fics going on at the moment too (worked on after I finish working on my original novel, of course :2angel:). A selkie au, a werecat au, and one where Snufkin gets turned into a tiny child.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back. :welcome:

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hey BradCarsten, I put my fics up on Archive of Our Own (AO3). :) (It's linked in my signature.)

I'm working in the Rise of the Guardians, Gravity Falls Transcendence AU, and Moomins worlds right now. I'm supposed to be writing something lemony for ROTG (sequels to the polyamourous marriage story) and it's been so long it's exceedingly awkward, haha. I have three Moomins fics going on at the moment too (worked on after I finish working on my original novel, of course :2angel:). A selkie au, a werecat au, and one where Snufkin gets turned into a tiny child.

I've never heard of AO3. Took a quick look at your page, and one thing that struck me was how engaged your readers are. There are so many comments and so much support. I wonder if some of that support would carry across to your original novel as well? how great would it be if you could get some of your fans to review your book before it's released.

Your Avatar looks so familiar. I can't figure out where I've seen that image before. So I looked at your first post, to see if I responded back in the day, and noticed that you enjoy Within Temptation. I had to comment, because I've never met anyone else who's even heard of them, but they are freakin amazing. Stand my ground is one of those songs that you can put on repeat and just lose yourself in your writing.

Lady_Phenyx

Registered
Reaction score
AO3 is a fanfic archive run by fans for fans so that it can't be taken down like the livejournal and other company run archives are. It's great, I love it. :) I'd like to think the people who comment on there would be supportive, but I think a lot of them are there just for the fanfic. Who knows, though, maybe they would if I talked more about them.

I use the AO3 avatar on a lot of sites, sort of...connecting them all. I didn't get to choose the one on here, once I can I'll probably switch. :) I love Within Temptation! Stand My Ground is one of my favorites :) It's really good for big stand offs. That whole album is great.

Nadinarte

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome (again) to this forum! ヾ(≧∇≦)ゞ
You've probably been here longer that I have but still, nice to have you. ヽ(゜ω゜○)ノ
In the midst of the fanfic titles I've spotted "Hetalia" and I've got to admit it caught my eye. You shall know that I'm from Italy and I used to watch loads of anime. It was very odd to see my country depicted as a silly, almost idiotic, but quite likeable character. Of course, it was probably the author's way to express their conflicted love for Italy, I guess. I mean, Japanese people can be very strange at times. As my partner's mum would say: 日本人はちょっと変ですよね! ("Nihonjin wa chotto hen desuyone!" Japanese people are a bit strange aren't they? (o≧∀≦o) ).
I guess that's what I like about Japanese culture lol.

Anyway, nice to meet you! ╰| ° ◞౪◟ ° |╯

Nadia

Last edited:

Lady_Phenyx

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I was into Hetalia, lots of little things got me out of it. I liked the concept and it was fun at the time, but...people sort of ruined it and I found something else that replaced it. *shrug* I used to watch a lot more anime than I do now, it seems like everything I find lately is too...dramatic or intense and I just want something soft (like Moomins).

And it's nice to meet you too. :)

jokertk

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back! Glad you made a return. I'm sure we will benefit from having you again.

lgallo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Lady Phenyx, welcome back!
I am well versed on AO3, my best friend is a bit of a Frozen (specifically Kristanna) nerd and has uploaded a few fics there. But what is your original novel about, give us some deets!

Also, moving homes is a pain and I feel for you. We moved to our current house almost six years ago - there are still boxes untouched in the attic and basement. If we ever had to do it again - I might give up and only take my books, half the furniture, and the kids art boxes and leave everything else behind!

Lady_Phenyx

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I have so many first drafts, I need to finish some other projects and focus more on them. I do Nanowrimo every year, since 2007, and though I've won each year I haven't been able to polish any of them up. (The link's to my Nano novel's page) It's been long enough that I've worked on some the details are a bit hazy. Just...assume all of these are in-progress/need re-writes/editing.

I'm doing a complete re-write of my first ever attempt, where Lady Mage Allena was dragooned into creating a child for the king. But he wasn't thriving, and so now she's been dragged to court and into politics. It's...turned more complicated than I meant and I need to do some plotting.

Diary of a Vampire is pretty much what is says on the tin. ;) Blood on the Moon's current summary is: Vampires are evil. Everyone at the Mage College knows it. Now they're rising, and student mages Wren and Butterfly may just find themselves on the front lines of a war they didn't even know existed - or sacrificed to it and turned to strengthen the enemies' ranks.

Blessed Chosen is one I'm fond of but again, needs re-written. Doctor Harper Jones has a gift for healing others. He's tried to keep it secret, but now the Fallen Angels - a group that works in the shadows, that many people don't believe actually exist - have kidnapped him to heal their Perfect Soldier project. Can quiet, timid Harper heal the maddened soldier's mind and free them both, or will they both be caught in the Fallen Angel's plans?

Queen of Spades: Every 100 years, the deck is reshuffled and a new King is chosen for each Card Kingdom. For the past 300 years, though, King Avakali's heirs have had a mysterious habit of dying before they could take the throne, or even realize they were in line for it - but Avakali missed her heir this year, and said heir is on the run, gathering her court as she goes. The question is, will she live long enough to take the throne?

Between Light and Dark: Jeminy was just a traveling performer. Now she's caught up in a battle between goddess and a dark god, working with a group of people who have no reason to trust each other, her, or the goddesses themselves.

Moonlight Circus: Jack is about to age out of the foster system, which means he and his little sister Mary are going to be separated - maybe for good. So they run away, and find themselves caught up with the Moonlight Circus, a magical circus that rescues kids wherever they're needed. Now they have to find their place within the Circus, decide on their future, and try not to get caught up in the fight against the Nightmare Circus, Moonlight's rival, and the Nightmare's deadly plans for the children Moonlight would save.

Wands & Gears: Steampunk, magical girls, and accidentally being roommates with your mortal enemy. Got complicated on me and veered so far from my outline I have no idea where it's going.

Merlin (no other title): Merlin thinks their parents just had an odd sense of humor when naming them. But after a summer filled with new friends and setting out on their own, they find themselves caught up in a fight for the world. After, memories return alongside magic, and they, their best friends/found family (an empath, a mermaid using a wheelchair to stay on land, and a set of twin elves that know nothing of being elves) set out to explore this familiar/unfamiliar world.

More than what you expected right? ;) If you want to know more about one I can look up my notes, sometimes I forget how many I have to work on until someone asks.

UchronianSteve

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, Lady_Phenyx, and welcome to the Absolute Write community! :welcome: I only recently joined myself, but am honestly enjoying this place. And, btw, I like fanfiction, too: have mainly browsed Fanfiction Dot Net though I'm also somewhat familiar with AO3 and have also found some interesting stuff on Wattpad and even DeviantArt and the like, from time to time; I've even considered writing some of my own fanfics as well.

Also, I think you have a lot of interesting story ideas as well-have you considered possibly excerpting small bits of your drafts, be it here or wherever else you may be, to receive feedback? I'm a somewhat active writer myself and that's helped me improve my own writing. :D

Last edited:

Lady_Phenyx

Registered
Reaction score
I love AO3, they're my favorite fanfic site. :D I think fanfic's a good way to practice, and it (can be) fun. :)

I hadn't really considered it yet, I just hadn't thought about it. I'm still figuring out this site (there's so much here!) or where else to put it. It doesn't sound like a bad idea, though. I could use some feedback. :) I just...worry sometimes about the right time/place. I haven't gotten a chance to really contribute much here, is there a section here for that sort of thing? I mean, I don't want to sound like that's why I joined, I want to find some other parts to chat in as well, I haven't had time yet and it's a bit overwhelming.

I could put a few up on AO3, they've got an original works section...